PDA

View Full Version : 450r or yfz450

AJ's Blaster
05-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Ok I really want an honest answer so if you are brand loyal please don't bash one or the other. I will be getting one of the two but I don't know which is better. I ride only trails no track. I've heard the yfz is too stiff for trail but i have heard the r is a little too tipsy. I really just want to know the advantages of each over the other. Thanks for any input.

250xridamatt
05-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Your best bet would be to go to the dealerships and sit on both of them. They feel quite a bit different, and one should be more comfortable for you than the other. Also, if you have the chance to ride both of them, do it. Its a lot easier for you to feel the differences, than for someone to explain them online.

mx1791
05-28-2007, 08:34 PM
pretty much what he said plus my opinion on both..
the yfz really handles good, and imo it feels better to sit on. its gas tank is more rider friendly (smaller) and its shocks are 100x better then the honda's. i just dont like the power of the yfz. its not as smooth as the honda's power and it has kind of a harder hit. the power of the yamaha is what makes me dislike it.

rubble
05-28-2007, 08:43 PM
My dealer sells both and let me spend some time on both, he literally rolled brand new ones right off the showroom for me to test... I felt way better on the honda so thats what I ended up getting..

ofcourse this was back in 05, they have made some changes since then, but I have zero complaints in the 2 years I've had the honda..

Not one trip back to the dealer for anything except oil and filters...

daniel_beck
05-28-2007, 11:27 PM
i would go w/ a 450r i rode a yfz sunday and wasnt impressed at all with it and im glad i got a honda instead of a yamaha it seemed like i didnt have no bottom end at all get a 450r u wont be disapointed

CHEVYZ
05-29-2007, 04:55 AM
Here are a couple of the things I observed between my R's and my buddies YFZ/s:

YFZ: The suspention felt a bit hard/rough when you sat on it, and to get the use out of it you had to go through whatever kind of rough terrain you hit fast or it would beat you to death. The seat also felt hard. The bars seemed a bit low and uncomfortable for me as well. One thing I did appreciate about it was its stance. Looks mean, and more importantly it cornered well. As for power, it wasn't a slacker by any means, but my Honda definately felt more powerful after riding the Yamaha. The bottom end on the YFZ is very snappy and it revs quick, but it seems to run out of power almost as soon as you crack it open (IMO)-very much unlike the Honda which revs smooth but strong and the power seems to just keep building.

TRX: Definately a more tipsy bike. Taller and simply suited for a different type of rider. The seat on it feels softer, the bars higher, and to try to make sense out of it you feel like your riding with the bike rather than on top of it. I appreciate the suspention better for trails also. It is a bit smoother and so you don't have to ride WOT all the time to have any comfort. Power like the YFZ is good, I prefer the way the Honda delivers and pulls through, especially for trails. It is smoother, but carries through with it way more.

ratso
05-29-2007, 10:58 AM
I was thinking the same as you a year ago. The dealer said the honda is more comfortable and a better trail bike. I love my 06 450r. I think either bike would be great. I ride alot and I want to get a yfz 450 so I have some variety when I ride. I ride trails and the new kawi with reverse might be nice.

450rboy
05-29-2007, 11:52 AM
ok for one thing i do got a 450r and i have had it for 3 years now and no really big issues at all but mine is a 05 and your probably looking at the 06 or 07s. To be honest with you i think either one are good. but i do have to say i like honda more. i also do think the hondas are more reliable than the yfz450s though. heres one thing that they say in the yamaha's manual, it says you should rebuild it every 40 hours on it. so that points me towards honda too. i do also think the hondas are a more tipsyer in the turns but you can always do something about that.

well i hope i helped out. bye

AJ's Blaster
05-29-2007, 04:31 PM
i appreciate all the help so far keep it coming.

BlaineKaiser450
05-29-2007, 04:52 PM
i have a 450r and i love everything about it. it has a great powerband but is a lil tipsy in the corners but that just means that you need to lean in more.:D

jshtex
05-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by 450rboy
heres one thing that they say in the yamaha's manual, it says you should rebuild it every 40 hours on it. so that points me towards honda too.

Dude, it doesn't say that in the yfz manual.... :rolleyes:

You wouldn't have happend to have read the recomendations on the rebuilding the R in the HRC kit manual???? You might be shocked. ;)

I own both, we just retired our yfz after three long seasons of XC racing (lots of wins too I might add) and now were on an R. I will be thrilled if we get three seasons out of it. At this point we are happy with the choice.

Bottome line ride them both and get the one you like, they are both good bikes and either can win with the right rider.

700bRad
05-30-2007, 06:10 PM
I had an 06' YFZ450 and 06' Raptor 700r before I bought my 450er, At one point I had all 3 in my shop and everytime I went out to ride I always picked the 450r its the best trail bike ive ever thrown a leg over. The power and torque is so much better then the YFZ. If you like shooting hills with raw gritty power then get the 450r. The YFZ has a quick ripping hit but it runs out very quickly and falls on its face, where the honda pulls through and gives you a satisfying range of power. Now on the handling side of the things. If your an aggressive rider that uses alot of posture regardless then you wont notice a difference between the two machines, and will have no problem at all throwing the Honda around as much as the Yamaha.