PDA

View Full Version : battery issues

stic
05-28-2007, 04:46 PM
hey guys...
i just bought a new gel battery.the guy said it was ready to go.so i installed it.started fine for the 1st few days and now its dead.i jumped it with another and the quad fired right up.does this sound right?perhaps it did need charged?
theres a little round cylinder beside(and hooked to) the battery that clicks when the machine is turned(i think its the switch assembly?) over.if this doesnt click....its bad?
there is an alternator on these(03 400ex) that keeps the battery charged the battery after its running i believe.
also...correct me if im wrong but the stator has nothing to do with the charge.doesnt it use the current from the alternator to run lights and what not?so if the quad dies again....either the battery is bad or the alternator is bad?
thanks in advance.

miller821
05-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by stic
so if the quad dies again....either the battery is bad or the alternator is bad?
thanks in advance.

Sounds like it. Make sure your grounded good and all.

TYayo420
05-28-2007, 09:48 PM
something charges the ex battery, either a alternator, or a generator, not sure which but something does for sure.

speedracer13t
05-29-2007, 06:00 PM
What is the advantage to getting a gel battery? Mine Battery is dead so I am in the market.

400exstud
05-29-2007, 06:13 PM
No alternator on these babies, just the stator. Perhaps you are not getting a charge from it. There are many reasons as to why this may happen. If you are able to jump start it do so and ride around for a while. If you are getting a charge to the battery this should charge it for a while. Then park near your garage, shut off the engine and see if the battery is able to start the bike. If not you arn't getting a charge or the battery is complete junk.

stic
05-30-2007, 06:01 PM
thanks for the replys.
if my battery is fully charged(its charging right now)and assuming that the battery is fine..... i run with my lights on and my battery dies....what would cause this?stator?
speedracer....i opted for the gel just because it has more cca's then the oem.120 for the gel..not sure off hand what the oem's is.
it was 10$ more.

1965 honda
05-30-2007, 10:09 PM
check all your connections before you you mess with the stator.
they are expensive

C_Fizzle
05-31-2007, 12:31 PM
there is a voltage regulator back where the battery goes,.. it sorta acts like a alternater,, and r u sure that it's your battery thats dead?... or is ur starter silinoid thats toast?

stic
05-31-2007, 02:35 PM
well..i jumped it with the foreman and it fired right up.which makes me believe its the battery.
i charged the battery for awhile last nite.didnt get a full charge cuz i didnt wanna leave it on overnite for fear id overcharge it and toast it.
if i run the quad with the lights on and the battery dies.whats that tell ya?

400exstud
05-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by C_Fizzle
there is a voltage regulator back where the battery goes,.. it sorta acts like a alternater,, and r u sure that it's your battery thats dead?... or is ur starter silinoid thats toast?

The voltage regulator/rectifier crapped out on my 400. If you don't know what it is, it is the small black piece near the battery with the cooling fins on it. Because of the conditions that I ride in (iron saturated water) the connections on it just rusted away. It cost me 2 batteries before I cought it. I would say that you should check all possibilities before looking at the stator. You don't want to spend that much money and time if you don't have to.