PDA

View Full Version : hello all from Portland

pdxbigfoot
05-28-2007, 02:40 AM
My name is Jason and ive been out of the sport for about 17yrs....well its been that long since ive had a quad..to this day i still have all the subscriptions to all the mags,so i try to stay on top of it.Alot of things have changed since the last time i threw a leg over my fully built 1988 trx 250r!After all these years im finally in the position to build a new bike and i just got home with a straight 1987 trx frame,motor,swing-arm,a-arms and alot of misc debis.This is going to be a complete frame up restoration and im really excited....almost giddy!!.The rear shock is in great shape but the fronts are trashed....quick queston will the 450r stock front shocks work on my 250r frame..any input would be great. like we all know once it gets in your blood its there for life....and im way overdue...thank you all...Jason

eddie pettengil
05-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Hey Jason, I'm in the same position. Just got back into my 1986 ATC and TRX 250R after a 12 year brake. I never sold them so they just sat under a deck with a tarp covering them since I put them there in 1993. Sure glad I kept them, both of them started right up with a few kicks even with old gas in the tank. I ended up tearing them down to the frame 1 year ago too start my rebuilds. Got a long way to go, but i'm doing it right.

I have heard of guys using the TRX 450r shock, but I have not tried it. Also I think I have heard guys use the YFZ 450 shock.

You said "hello from Portland", would that be Portland ME. I,m in Dover NH. Good luck with your project.

pdxbigfoot
05-28-2007, 11:01 PM
well good luck with your projects,Also does any one know how to tell the difference from a 1986/87 frame from a 1988/89 frame.Does a 88/89 swing-arm fit on a 86/87 frame once again thank you all and i am going to give the 450r shocks a shot

eddie pettengil
05-29-2007, 06:28 PM
The frame on a 88-89 has rear motor mounts welded in right above and below the swing arm bolt. On the 86-87 the swingarm bolt goes threw the left side of the swingarm and then threw the motor mount (the motor mounts pivots on the swingarm bolt) and then threw the right side of the swingarm.

It would probably work but you would be missing two motor mounts on the rear of the motor. You should then have mounts welded in. I believe the 88-89 swingarm is 1 inch shorter and also a little lighter.

You should try posting this under the 250r section of the forums, Lots of 250r fans hang there. You will get more feedback and probably pictures of things that your asking about.