PDA

View Full Version : Admitting I was scared!!!

motoxgirl419
05-27-2007, 07:23 PM
As some of you know, Allison wrecked and broke her humerus (arm) back on march 18th. So we have been out of racing for awhile. It's been killing us wishing time would speed up so we can get her back out there. She is asking every weekend if she can go yet, even though she knows what the dr. said. We have another appt at the end of this month to take another xray, but there was a race she really wanted to attend this past friday. She said she would take it easy and she didn't care what place she got, she just wanted to race. So being the suckers that we are, we agreed as long as she took it easy.
Well, she did good the first moto. She took the holeshot and then ended up placing 4th. She was slow around the corners and took jumps more cautiously. Which we knew would happen.
Second moto was a different story. She once again took the holeshot and never looked back, finishing 1st. Of course she still was not riding to her full capabilty, but it was better. I really thought that she was gonna be more fearful than ever, but she is determined to get her reputation back out there.
But I have to tell you, I was downright scared to death. I didn't show it to her, but I didn't want her to get hurt again. I think this is the worst that I have been since she started racing. I'm trying to overcome it and I know it will in time, but it took so long to get her healed, I'm scared she wasn't ready. I think she has shown me otherwise.
I love watching her do something she enjoys doing. But when I seen it all taken away from her that day she wrecked was heartbreaking. I'm really not one of those overprotective mothers but I didn't really think I would be as tense as I was friday night watching her race.
I guess I'll get over it in time right? We are not going racing again til after her dr. appt this week. Just to be on the safe side.
I just wanted to share my stroy with you all, as I'm sure I'm not totally alone. Sometimes being parents is the hardest job.

AtvMxRider
05-27-2007, 07:39 PM
How old is she? My youngest son broke his collar bone when he was 6. He crashed so hard that he broke the frame in half on his dirtbike. he was off his bike for 6 weeks. He had a dr's appointment on a friday and saturday he was back at the track. I told him he had been off for a while and to take it easy. Well that lasted until he got the 1st jump. :eek2: . Well he was back up to the speed he was before he got hurt in about 100yards:macho

motoxgirl419
05-27-2007, 08:29 PM
she just turned 12 last month.

:eek2: Your story scares me even more.. oh my. I guess kids just act differently than we do. They know their body and know then they are in pain. So I guess I need to listen to her, but to the dr. also at the same time.
I'm not saying that I'm not proud of her for her accomplishment Friday night. I know when she is totally healed, she'll be getting more seat time in and will be tearing it up once again, but I'm more shocked and timid on her speed.

AtvMxRider
05-27-2007, 08:34 PM
We were practcing at the track when it happened. He finished riding the rest of the day with a broken collar bone:eek2: . I didn't know the frmae was broken until I got the bike homa dn took the seat off.

motoxgirl419
05-28-2007, 06:38 AM
what sucks about anyone breaking their collar bone or their humerus bone, is that it can't be casted. Therefor, all you can pretty much do is walk around with a sling on your arm and try not to move it around. Both are very painful fractures.
I'm glad that didn't stop your son. At first I thought she was done racing. She was in so much pain and she said as she was laying on the ground "i'm not racing no more" But 2 days later, she said "I'm not letting this get me down, I want to race again. I might be slow at first but I'll get better as I practice."
So like I said I was very proud of her for doing well Friday night. There was some pretty good riders.
So hopefully she will keep moving forward and keep getting better once again, and I'll get over my fear.

3-D Racing Dad
05-28-2007, 07:04 AM
Well I sure am proud of her, and you too mom for being so supportive of Allie. I talked with your husband at the Taylorville WPSA race and he was telling me how much she was ready to get back on it and I think he was just as worried as you are, but I think it is human (mom and dad) nature to worry about our kids.
We race at Taylorville all the time and we're looking forward to your clan coming back to Taylorville this year for some more fun. Our son Kyle races in her class too and looks forward to chasing her down.
So good luck and heal well Allie, and we'll hope to see you all soon.

Jason Dye

motoxgirl419
05-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by 3-D Racing Dad
Well I sure am proud of her, and you too mom for being so supportive of Allie. I talked with your husband at the Taylorville WPSA race and he was telling me how much she was ready to get back on it and I think he was just as worried as you are, but I think it is human (mom and dad) nature to worry about our kids.
We race at Taylorville all the time and we're looking forward to your clan coming back to Taylorville this year for some more fun. Our son Kyle races in her class too and looks forward to chasing her down.
So good luck and heal well Allie, and we'll hope to see you all soon.

Jason Dye

Yea, I meant to try and track you guys down. I saw you once but that was right before Kyle was getting ready to go out. We hadn't seen you all in awhile. How did Kyle do by the way?
I can't wait to make it back up to Taylorville's track. We really enjoy the layout of it. And it's really not that far away. I'll be honest with ya, it was hard to go up there this year and just watch. I was so envious. Just shows how much racing is a part of the parents as much as the racer. We enjoy meeting everyone and traveling to different places we would not have experienced if it wasn't for Alli's racing.
So we hope to see you soon, by the way, when is the next race up there? Do you know right off hand?
Thanks,
Kim

king219
05-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by motoxgirl419
As some of you know, Allison wrecked and broke her humerus (arm) back on march 18th. So we have been out of racing for awhile. It's been killing us wishing time would speed up so we can get her back out there. She is asking every weekend if she can go yet, even though she knows what the dr. said. We have another appt at the end of this month to take another xray, but there was a race she really wanted to attend this past friday. She said she would take it easy and she didn't care what place she got, she just wanted to race. So being the suckers that we are, we agreed as long as she took it easy.
Well, she did good the first moto. She took the holeshot and then ended up placing 4th. She was slow around the corners and took jumps more cautiously. Which we knew would happen.
Second moto was a different story. She once again took the holeshot and never looked back, finishing 1st. Of course she still was not riding to her full capabilty, but it was better. I really thought that she was gonna be more fearful than ever, but she is determined to get her reputation back out there.
But I have to tell you, I was downright scared to death. I didn't show it to her, but I didn't want her to get hurt again. I think this is the worst that I have been since she started racing. I'm trying to overcome it and I know it will in time, but it took so long to get her healed, I'm scared she wasn't ready. I think she has shown me otherwise.
I love watching her do something she enjoys doing. But when I seen it all taken away from her that day she wrecked was heartbreaking. I'm really not one of those overprotective mothers but I didn't really think I would be as tense as I was friday night watching her race.
I guess I'll get over it in time right? We are not going racing again til after her dr. appt this week. Just to be on the safe side.
I just wanted to share my stroy with you all, as I'm sure I'm not totally alone. Sometimes being parents is the hardest job.

i know just how you feel ,our son had a bad accident,at the gatorback ,spent a couple days in icu,dislocated hip and concusion...i was very scared to see him on the starting line again...the accident replays in my mide everytime i see him race. he knows that its up to him if he races .i told him the day racing isnt fun anymore,is the day we stop...
glad to see shes back strong

3-D Racing Dad
05-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Kyle finished first on Saturday in his production Jr. class and 14 in the 125cc four stroke class, and finished 7th on Sunday in the Jr. class for a 2nd overall for the weekend and finished 15th over all in the 125cc four stoke class(that's the class we had mechanical problems all weekend).
The next race that we will be at at Taylorville should be the 9th and 10th of June. We hope to see you there.

Livin4Real
05-30-2007, 02:00 AM
I know how you feel. Brandon had a bad crash on saturday's moto at the Taylorville WPSA this year. Coming out of the back whoops section threw him over the bars head first. I couldn't see him when he landed and after not seeing him for a couple seconds I sprinted across the infield and hopped the fence to find him completely pinned under the quad face down and not moving. I thought the worst, yanked the quad off him and thank God he started moving. Scariest moment of my life honestly :eek2: He shook the cobwebs out and said he wanted to finish, what a trooper. About a half hour after we got back to the trailer he looked like someone had taken a baseball bat to him, was bruised all over and scraped up pretty bad and said he was really sore. Then to top things off, Sunday we were supposed to go out after the Quad Terrain guys and after we lined up at the gate they pulled us (70 shifters) off the line and said the track was too muddy so they would run the B class before us which was when the guy got lifelined out after crashing the first lap. So needless to say my nerves were shot, after we lined back up I told him just to go out and have fun along with my usual I Love You followed by a pat on the helmet. After the gate dropped he ran the best race he's ran all season (until he killed it after tradin' paint with Davey in the sharp turn before the finish line, lol) Knock on wood, the only time he broke a bone was on his d$mn skateboard last summer, further proof you can get hurt doing anything. After this last scare though I'm getting him a leatt brace. I figure I skip a couple weekends of racing and it will cover the $400 and be money well spent.

motoxgirl419
05-30-2007, 04:42 AM
I wonder where I was at when Brandon wrecked. I thought I was watching that race, but maybe I missed that moto. I was standing in the middle section down by the fence where the whoops were. I totally missed it. I'm glad I didn't see him wreck either. Too many people close to us, have had accidents as well. It's been a bad year so far. I personally think a couple more weeks of practice and she should be confident again.
We plan on going to that Taylorville race. Unless something else goes wrong...lol
Tell Brandon, he's doing very well this year, and to keep up the good work. :D
Kim

motoxgirl419
05-30-2007, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by 3-D Racing Dad
Kyle finished first on Saturday in his production Jr. class and 14 in the 125cc four stroke class, and finished 7th on Sunday in the Jr. class for a 2nd overall for the weekend and finished 15th over all in the 125cc four stoke class(that's the class we had mechanical problems all weekend).
The next race that we will be at at Taylorville should be the 9th and 10th of June. We hope to see you there.

So in other words he did great! :D I love his quad. You guys did an awesome job on it. We just got Alli a TRX90 and we are going to do it all up in time. She needs to learn how to shift and ride it first....lol. Hopefully we will see you at Taylorville. :D Kim

motoxgirl419
06-01-2007, 05:01 AM
update:

went to the dr. yesterday, and we got the official all-clear to race again...wooohooo. She still has a part of the bone that splinters out, but eventually it will grow to the new bone. But the fracture is healed up, and she is dying to get practicing to get her strength back. We are excited!!!!

etondaddy
06-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by motoxgirl419
update:

went to the dr. yesterday, and we got the official all-clear to race again...wooohooo. She still has a part of the bone that splinters out, but eventually it will grow to the new bone. But the fracture is healed up, and she is dying to get practicing to get her strength back. We are excited!!!!
That’s great news……… We know what your going through Kyle fractured his forearm last year and was out for six weeks. This stuff will take over your life. It seems like everything we do revolves around racing…………. it’s pretty cool thou, what the h*ll else would we be doing lol. It’s just a good family sport. But anyway I can still remember his first race back at Wolfmanns MX in Bedford Pa, I was even a little worried but he got both hole shots and led all the laps. I’ll also never forget the post on our D5 site from people that said it looked like you never left and it was great to have you back. That was cool.

Good Luck the rest of the year
KMK Motorsports
Missy, Mike, and Kyle #5

motoxgirl419
06-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Yea, I think the best part about this whole thing has been the support we recieved from family and friends.

Then to come back to the race track, and see everyone again, and to be greeted with smiles and hand shakes,was the best feeling. We are all like one great big family. Noone wants to see anyone hurt, and often worry about other parent's kids. So it was great to hang out with people we haven't seen in so long. That's another reason why we love motocross so much and it's considered a family sport.