PDA

View Full Version : Carrier with grease fitting :S ?

quad janern
05-27-2007, 04:19 PM
hi
my stock Carrier just blown.
im going to buy a new and better one.
maybe a lonestar or east coast atv carrier.
i see that these carriers has grease fittings.
how can i grease the fitting when its installed ? do i need to drill a hole in the swing arm to grease it ??

:confused: :confused:

some pictures would help!

JW450R1
05-27-2007, 07:27 PM
no,you need to pull it out and grease it.if u drill a hole threw your swinger assembly you take the chance to get water inside and whip out your bearings.the best way to grease the aftermarket bearings are to remove the bearings and clean everything,then repact them like u would a old car bearing with some good grease,then reinstall them back.i no it seams like alot of work but in my opinion thats the right way to grease them.by just putting grease threw the grease fitting your just pushing the old grease/dirt right into the bearings.that is going to premature wear out the bearing very quick.

quad janern
05-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Thanx JW450R1 for the help. now i understand.

im either going to buy a "east coast atv" carrier or a "lonestar" carrier, both with grease fittings.

which one should i go for ?

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=450r+carrier&category0=

Rulz
05-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by JW450R1
no,you need to pull it out and grease it.if u drill a hole threw your swinger assembly you take the chance to get water inside and whip out your bearings.the best way to grease the aftermarket bearings are to remove the bearings and clean everything,then repact them like u would a old car bearing with some good grease,then reinstall them back.i no it seams like alot of work but in my opinion thats the right way to grease them.by just putting grease threw the grease fitting your just pushing the old grease/dirt right into the bearings.that is going to premature wear out the bearing very quick.

You cannot "repack" these bearings because they are all sealed bearings.

Dave400ex
05-28-2007, 09:27 AM
The Houser carrier you can grease from the outside without removing. If I was getting a carrier I think I would get the Baldwin. It has a hardened center tube.

Baldwin Carrier (http://www.lakecityhonda.com/eshopprod_cat_2624-21425_product_307250_keyword_baldwin.BALDWIN_MOTOR SPORTS_TWIN_ROW_B.htm)

JW450R1
05-28-2007, 06:03 PM
no, there not sealed bearings.and yes they can be repacted.
ecatv or lonestar carriors are good

chris46250r
05-28-2007, 06:16 PM
no, there not sealed bearings.and yes they can be repacted.
ecatv or lonestar carriors are good

What kind of carrier you talking about. All the ones I've seen are sealed bearings.

JW450R1
05-28-2007, 06:46 PM
ecatv,lonestar,BUURGARD.pop out the carrier seals.appli heat the the 1 side of the carrier and shake it,the bearing will just fall out.do the same to the other side.let it cool off.clean out the bearings with brake wash or what ever.take off the black plastic dust sheild in the center of the bearing.throw them in a repacter and pact away.i have been told if u grease the carriers with the grease fitting in the center of the carriers,that just pushes the dirt into the bearings.thats not good for the bearings.

chris46250r
05-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Ever consider you have been told wrong?

Chew Spit
05-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by chris46250r
What kind of carrier you talking about. All the ones I've seen are sealed bearings.

x2

Chew Spit
05-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by quad janern
hi
my stock Carrier just blown.
im going to buy a new and better one.
maybe a lonestar or east coast atv carrier.
i see that these carriers has grease fittings.
how can i grease the fitting when its installed ? do i need to drill a hole in the swing arm to grease it ??

:confused: :confused:

some pictures would help!

I just got the lonestar billet one

and im happy with it... I dont think you can go wrong with either though. Both are going to do their job...

MX MaNiAc 06
05-28-2007, 07:27 PM
I got a RAD carrier and the bearings went out within a few months. I felt them immediately n drove from the track to the trailor. It completely fried my F'ing carrier! From putting through the pits. The grease fitting is dumb anyway. U have to take the axle out. But when the axles out u can just reach in there n grease it with ur finger. :rolleyes:

not worth the money..just get another stock one.

chris46250r
05-28-2007, 07:29 PM
How do you grease a sealed bearing with your finger?

GIXXER1KR
05-28-2007, 08:37 PM
I hear that,,, my buddy fried his LSR carrier on his first race and he has a Walsh arm.I am on my stock carrier after a year of hard core trail,mud and swamp.I am now MXing and still good.Ill be replacing it with stock!!!;)

Dave400ex
05-28-2007, 08:47 PM
The stocker is good and the center tube is hardened. That's why I would get the Baldwin, because it is too. I believe it is the only other carrier besides stock to have the hardened center tube. (Could be wrong) Anyways just replace the stocker or get a Baldwin.

Chew Spit
05-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by chris46250r
How do you grease a sealed bearing with your finger?

you dont... thats why his carrier burned up :p

quad janern
05-29-2007, 12:28 AM
i ordered a houser carrier =)

400exrider707
05-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Dave400ex is right stock and baldwin are the only ones with hardened center tubes, which is why they cost more. The Houser is a very nice unit though with the zerk fitting on the outside, especially the new style one with the fitting flush mounted in the side. Just line it up with a hole in the sprocket/sprocket hub and grease it up. Carrier bearings are sealed as well, and if you have bearings in there that aren't sealed, then I would recommend finding a new bearing distributor.

Rulz
05-29-2007, 10:57 AM
ecatv,lonestar,BUURGARD.pop out the carrier seals.appli heat the the 1 side of the carrier and shake it,the bearing will just fall out.do the same to the other side.let it cool off.clean out the bearings with brake wash or what ever.take off the black plastic dust sheild in the center of the bearing.throw them in a repacter and pact away.i have been told if u grease the carriers with the grease fitting in the center of the carriers,that just pushes the dirt into the bearings.thats not good for the bearings.

I've bought bearing carriers from RAD, Lonestar, PRP, and Burgard and none had anything but sealed bearings.

400exrider707
05-30-2007, 06:28 AM
He has been sending me PM's back and forth trying to convince me that they are not sealed, he even went as far as explaining to me how he popped the seals out with a screwdriver and put more grease in....:rolleyes: I dont think he even knows what he is typing. If you have to pull the seals off to put more grease in... why was there a seal there if they're not sealed bearings? I do this trick when I put mine in new, I pull the seals and load them with grease, but the seals go back on and my bearings last a long time. Like I told him, if he wants to pull carrier bearings every 4-5 rides like he told me he does then that is his problem, but the only time you will see me pulling carrier bearings out is if Im replacing them, why go through all the trouble of getting them out and not replace them?

81built2hill81
05-31-2007, 06:52 AM
Some Of The Guys On Here Talkin About Packing There Non Sealed Bearings Are Probably Talkin About The Tapered Roller Bearing Carriers. I Put One From Rad On My 300ex And They Are No Sealed. I Repack Them Everytime I Change My Oil And It Is Holding Up Good. The Only Problem That Iv Seen With Them Is If You Over Tighten Them You Burn Them Up Real Quick. So Hopefully That Clears Up Some Of You Guys Arguments And Misunderstandings.