PDA

View Full Version : need some help please...internal knocking

Thacker400ex
05-27-2007, 03:57 PM
I have a 2002 400ex. right after i bought it the timing chain and gear brok and I sent it to earlywine racing to get it fixed. after i get it home, i couldn't get it to start so i changed the plug and gas and it fired right up. I rode it for about an hour and it lost power and died when i pulled the clutch in. I was in about 4-5th gear when it happend. when i released the clutch the rear tires locked up. it acted like it wasn't getting enough oil to the motor when it died. after i stopped i put it in nueral and it started up just fine but there was a bad rattle in the motor. I took the head and jug off and checked the wrist pin, rockers, cam, bearings, valves etc. I can't find a problem anywhere. after the first time it quit, it never died or lost power again but the ticking was still there. what could cause this problem? it sounded like it was in the top end for sure. I think that maybe those people who worked on it didn't get part of the busted timing gear out and it is floating around in there rattling. anyone here know what this could be? p.s i checked the timing chain tensioner as well. any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
thanks guys :confused:

JW450R1
05-27-2007, 07:57 PM
is there any motor work done to the motor.like a cam,big bore kit.
did u take notice to the timming marks if it was alignned up.maybe out of time

Barrymaxx
05-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Can you describe the noise any better, or maybe get a video? Mine makes a little "knock" in the lowerend too. It never got any worse, and its been there since day 1. Im pretty sure its just a little lash in the counterbalance gear.