PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw parts recall...???

Outlaw 50
05-27-2007, 05:49 AM
As some of you are aware of a lot of the parts on the latest production runs of the Outlaw have changed.

The problem is that the only 2 ways to get the new parts are to either buy them and install them on your older Outlaw, or buy a new Outlaw.

Polaris is NOT interested in replacing these inferior parts for the "customers" who purchased older production runs.

Since my calls and emails have fallen on deaf ears at Polaris Ind. I have taken the only next step I can think of to remedy this situation.

Here is a note I sent to the Consumer Products Safety Commission:

The steering stem on the ATV folded and sent me into a tree. I thought at the time that it was caused by the front tires but found that others have had similar problems with the stem. Polaris has redesigned the stem with a gusset to fix the problem.I suffered a broken hand in this incident.
There are also issues with the rear suspension having bushing failures and causing the rear wheels to be scraped and grooved on the inside. Some people have had holes in the rims causing loss of air in the tires.
Polaris Industries is presently redesigning various components on this quad which are defective and dangerous. They are putting the newly designed parts on the newer production models and not fixing the older ones( by older I am referring to 2006 models).
As an owner of this ATV I think that the older models should be fixed by Polaris at their expense. After several telephone conversations with Polaris Industries and the Dealer who sold me the ATV, it seems that in order to have the problem resolved it is their contention that I will have to purchase the newer parts at my own expense.

Since I have not been able to get the problem of the defective parts resolved through talking to Polaris Industries, I am taking the next step in the process of having these quads recalled.

Outlaw 50
05-27-2007, 05:50 AM
Well the woman from the CPSC was at the house on Saturday. We talked for about an hour while she took notes and pictures of the Outlaw.

We discussed the changes in the front steering parts ( center link, steering stem. & pitman arm ) from the original production models to the present production models.

We also discussed the rear wheel problem. I pulled the right rear wheel and showed her the play in the upper control arm mount and showed her that when you grease it the joint tightens up. I also showed her that after 15 mins of riding the joint is loose again.

We discussed the fact that the rear lower a arm is scraping the inside of the rear wheels and I will be sending her photos of the various problems.

Now for the bottom line.........her advice to me for remedying this situation that we find ourselves in with Polaris is this. THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE OIL!!!

She told me to contact everyone with an Outlaw that I can and have them contact the Consumer Products Safety Commission. Everyone needs to fill out a complaint and they will set up an appointment to see your Outlaw and do a report.

THIS IS CRITICAL if we are to have this resolved. The more complaints they have, the more leverage they will be able to apply to Polaris.

Here is the web address to go to in order to fill out a complaint.

https://www.cpsc.gov/talk.html

https://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/incident.aspx

LT250_JOE
05-30-2007, 01:14 PM
JUST CHECKED MY REAR BUSHINGS WASTED. AROUND 9-10 HOURS ON IT. DROPPING OFF MONDAY AT DEALER FOR TANK RECALL, HAVE THEM CHECK SO I GO THROUGH THE ROOF WHEN THEY TELL ME NON-WARRANTY. I BOUGHT AN EXT WARRANTY SO HOPEFULLY THAT WILL DO SOMETHING.

I SENT MY INFO TO THE SECOND LINK YOU HAVE POSTED, I'LL WAIT TO POST THE OTHER WHEN I FIND OUT IF WARRANTY OR NOT.

Outlaw 50
06-02-2007, 06:20 AM
If you fill out the form, you will be contacted by the CPSC so they can look at your quad.

smokinwrench
06-02-2007, 08:31 AM
I really figured I would get a phone call or email from them this week, nothing yet.

Outlaw 50
06-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Remember guys, this is a Federal Gov. agency..........they are kinda slow.

It could take up to a month to be contacted depending on how busy they are and where you live.

One thing to stress when you have the conversation with the CPSC rep is that Polaris has redesigned a lot of the components on the newer production models. These redesigned parts are not for increased performance, they are to correct the weak older parts.

If you have a printer you can go to the Polaris website and get the diagrams with the part numbers to give to the rep.

The quads affected by this are built before 1-29-07 for the rear end parts and 2-15-06 for the steering stem and front end parts.

ALL quads manufactured before 1-29-07 have the weak upper bushing setup!

rr outlaw
06-03-2007, 09:57 AM
ok so the date on my outlaw says 3/20/06 so i guess i am fine for the front end parts. what should I look for in the rear? I have not noticed anything strange yet or maybe i am not looking in the right places?

Outlaw 50
06-04-2007, 04:20 AM
Pull the rear wheels and look inside the rims. Also check the play in the upper control arm bushings.

http://i11.tinypic.com/4ot1tlh.jpg

LT250_JOE
06-04-2007, 08:29 AM
ALSO CHECK THE LOWER BUSHING, AS MINE ARE WASTED AFTER 15 HOURS. THE UPPERS ARE TRASHING THE ALUMINUM CONTROL ARMS ALREADY. I CHECKED THE STEERING STEM ON SUNDAY, WASTED. GREASED EVERY THING, GAVE IT A WIGGLE AND WATCHED THE GREASE OOZE OUT AND PLAY CAME BACK(WITHOUT EVEN RIDING IT).

DROPPING OFF AT DEALER THIS WEEK WITH A SH@T LIST AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

AND DEFINATELY CHECK THE GAS TANK(RECALL ON IT) AS MINE IS NOW LEAKING ALL OVER THE PLACE.

TWO PAYMENTS AND TWO RIDES, NOW I HAVE TO PARK IT

Outlaw 50
06-04-2007, 10:01 AM
When I purchased my quad I pulled off the plastic and checked ALL the bushings in the front and rear suspension.

What I found was that the quad had been assembled WITHOUT any grease in any of the bushings.

I pulled all the joints apart and packed them with Belray grease before I reassembled the quad.

This quad has been cleaned and greased after EVERY ride. My front grease able a arm bushings are showing a small amount of wear on the steel sleeves and the rear grease able sleeves are shot.

This quad has 49 hrs on it according to my hour meter.

smokinwrench
06-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Outlaw 50 is that a picture of an orignal rim with 50 hours on it? I would guess mine has 10-15 hours on it now and my rims make yours look brand new. My lower arms have about 1/8 inch worn off of them so far.

LT250_JOE
06-04-2007, 06:57 PM
I TOOK MY RIMS OFF TODAY AFTER WORK, THE INSIDE OF THE RIGHT REAR HAS AN IMPRINT OF THE LOWER CONTROL ARM BOLT IN IT. I TRIED POSTING PICS, BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE FILES SMALL ENOUGH. MY CAMERA IS A 4 MEGA PIX.

Outlaw 50
06-05-2007, 05:18 AM

Outlaw 50
06-05-2007, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by smokinwrench
Outlaw 50 is that a picture of an orignal rim with 50 hours on it? I would guess mine has 10-15 hours on it now and my rims make yours look brand new. My lower arms have about 1/8 inch worn off of them so far.

The pic was taken at the first oil change at 1 hr on the quad.

Outlaw 50
06-05-2007, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by LT250_JOE
I TOOK MY RIMS OFF TODAY AFTER WORK, THE INSIDE OF THE RIGHT REAR HAS AN IMPRINT OF THE LOWER CONTROL ARM BOLT IN IT. I TRIED POSTING PICS, BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE FILES SMALL ENOUGH. MY CAMERA IS A 4 MEGA PIX.

Try this site to resize the pics:

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

somewon
06-05-2007, 06:44 AM
mine was born on 11/06 I haven't had any problems with the rear end (rims, bushings) but keep an eye out for your throttle sticking.

katch26
06-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by LT250_JOE

just change the resolution through the camera and make it a lower quality picture 640x480

LT250_JOE
06-06-2007, 08:42 AM
MINE WONT GO LOWER THAN 1 MEGA PIX.

I'LL F WITH IT THIS WEEK.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY

06-08-2007, 08:16 PM
They been making crap for years.YOURS was not going to be junk??????????

06-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Polaris Recalls Select Hawkeye Model ATVs Due to Loss of Control Hazard – Three Crashes Reported
Washington, DC (6/6/2007) - The following product safety recall was voluntarily conducted by the firm in cooperation with the CPSC. Consumers should stop using the product immediately unless otherwise instructed

TYLER329
06-09-2007, 07:03 AM
Do you people have nothing else better to do than to sit around and ***** about your own quads. It's a $7000.00 sport quad, not a $40,000 truck. Heck yeah I have marks in my rim too.........so what. You probably hit the tree and then busted the stem just like any other quad out there. Anybody remember the early Raptor tranny problems, yfz-450 battery charging problems, 450r a-arm bushings, ltr-450 frame problems? Recalls don't mean sh*t about a company. Every company out there has quality problems at one point or another. If you've got the time to be on the friggin internet non stop complaining about your Outlaw sell the friggin thing and buy another brand.

GE4x4
06-09-2007, 08:22 AM
What I find real funny is, the constant complaining of scratches on the INSIDE of the rim. The Outlaw has been out for 1.5 years, yet I have only heard of ONE failure. I swear a lot of Polaris owners just whine way to much. My Outlaw has scratches, so what, it's a atv. This issue is so minor it's sickning. Yet you look at other furums and they all have issues and many much more then scratched rims, yet NOBODY complains. Yet you come in here and you need to have a box of tissues for all the crying. I'm sorry for the harsh talk, but all this is doing is feeding the stereo type that Polaris is a POS.:mad:

somewon
06-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Look, I love my Outlaw, but when it has severe problems (throttle sticking wide open) I'm gonna complain, and to everyone that will listen. why don't you ask those people who bought a raptor, yfz450, or 450R how they felt when their bikes when to crap, and the manufactures didn't do anything until enough people complained that they fixed the probelm.

I'm sorry if you feel this is wrong, but this is how you IMPROVE quality, by making enough people aware of the problem that the manufacturer does something about it.

not all of us can drop 7k on a quad and then simply say, "well at least it wasn't a 40k truck" when it starts to come apart.

GE4x4
06-09-2007, 03:19 PM
The throttle sticking isn't a know issue in 1.5 years. That's ussally a isolated case and it's most likely a kink in the line. Either it got pinched or some stuff got stuck on the cable. 450R frames have been cracking since day one, but it's know and they deal with it. Kawi has very weak tie rods, but people know it and deal with it. I have scrathes on the inside of my rim, I know about it and deal with it. There isn't one perfect quad out there (well maybe the new KTM525) were there are not small annoyences that you have to deal with. We Polaris owners seem to be the only ones that gripe about them. Then People come to our forum, and all they see is owners complaining. Thus continue's the stereo type.

smokinwrench
06-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
What I find real funny is, the constant complaining of scratches on the INSIDE of the rim.

Mine isn't just scratches on the inside of the rim, it is wearing away the a arms also. I don't mind some scratching on the rims at all, but when it starts wearing the a arms, I'm going to complain to Polaris about it.

I love my 525 and I will boldly say that there is no other quad stock that will run with it in harescramble, GNCC type racing.

TYLER329
06-09-2007, 03:21 PM
I totally agree about complaining to the company. But when people go and get the CPSC involved that is stupid. Whiners like that make ATV's more expensive every year for everybody. But no, agree with complaing to the company, I just think that the CPSC is a little overboard.

GE4x4
06-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by smokinwrench
Mine isn't just scratches on the inside of the rim, it is wearing away the a arms also. I don't mind some scratching on the rims at all, but when it starts wearing the a arms, I'm going to complain to Polaris about it.

I love my 525 and I will boldly say that there is no other quad stock that will run with it in harescramble, GNCC type racing.

Did you grind the mold tabs off? Your the 1st I heard of any a-arm wearing, unless there the mold tabs.

GE4x4
06-09-2007, 03:38 PM
I also agree about complaining to Polaris, but complaining here doesn't do much but show people that even Polaris owners are not happy. So they won't even think of getting a Polaris when allmost every topic is complaints. I read a lot of furums and see issues with all. But when they have a issue, they say there piece, but still give huge props to there quad and say they love it. So when I read it, I see it has a issue, but the guy still loves it even tho of the issue. So to him it's still a awesome quad. So it's still a very positive thread. But when you read most, not all of Polaris threads, it's all negitive. So who in there right mind would buy one. The Outlaw is just plain a awesome quad and love it, but any prospective buyer comes to see info about one here at the forums, he will quickly be turned off by all the neg complaints. I read all 70 threads on the 450R crank bearing failures, and guess what, not one bad word about Honda. They still loved there 450R and just delt with it when it happen. No CPSC, no bad mouthing, nothing. Then we wonder why no one buys Polaris.

smokinwrench
06-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
Did you grind the mold tabs off? Your the 1st I heard of any a-arm wearing, unless there the mold tabs.

No I didn't grind them off. It is completely rubbing the whole inside of the rim. The inner rim and a arm area have less rubbing then the outer area. I ride super fast but never get it up in the air to speak of, 3-4 foot of air under the rear tires is all I will see these days. I should have taken pictures of it before I took it into the shop. I totally understand it will get some scratches but this was pushing the limits when it starts rubbing material off of my a arms.

I will call the dealership Monday or Tuesday to see whats going on with it.

GE4x4
06-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Gets some pics. Also, is yours a pre updated rear bushings?

Outlaw 50
06-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by TYLER329
I totally agree about complaining to the company. But when people go and get the CPSC involved that is stupid. Whiners like that make ATV's more expensive every year for everybody. But no, agree with complaing to the company, I just think that the CPSC is a little overboard.

Who died and made you the arbitor of what is the right way to deal with something and isn't???

I have already called Polaris 6 effin' times and their response was that if I wanted the redesigned parts I should shell out the cash. After spending $8000.00 on this quad I will ***** to the next step up the line if I feel like it.

smokinwrench
06-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Mine is the old bushing style with grease zerks. I hope it comes home with all new rear end parts. If not I will get some pictures of it for ya.

Ride1Rob
06-10-2007, 07:38 AM
I have a 04 YFZ450 that I purchased in March of that year. That makes my bike 3yrs 3mos old... I've never had problems with my rims rubbing my a arms, or having grooves dug into them from rubbing something else, or my stem simply folding from riding, etc... Yamaha has had charging issues (minor fix with the resistor kit), rod lubrication problems (fixed with an oil mod), and that was hit and miss. I never had a wristpen/rod problem. I have over 500hrs on my bike and the Polaris is having more problems in only a few hours of riding. THAT IS AN ISSUE!

I think you guys have EVERY right to complain to Polaris and anyone else that can get the problem resolved. Exspecially if they corrected those problems with stronger parts on a newer model.

06-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Outlaw 50
Who died and made you the arbitor of what is the right way to deal with something and isn't???

I have already called Polaris 6 effin' times and their response was that if I wanted the redesigned parts I should shell out the cash. After spending $8000.00 on this quad I will ***** to the next step up the line if I feel like it.

GE4x4 or TYLER329 are the Polaris Defenders (PD's for short) - he must have some stock in the company.:eek2: You tried to get them to stand behind their poduct but that's not their style. So, good for you going the route you did.

I would have gone more the media route (newspapers, magazines - a classified in the back of Dirtwheels could go a long way). I would have informed Polaris that I was doing this, right before I called the news and walked down to the dealership with a protest sign! But, you've got your style, I've got mine...I'm proud that you stood up for yourself and good luck!

TYLER329
06-14-2007, 10:19 AM
No body died and made me the arbitor...............arbitor? Who the hell uses this word in day to day life. Clearly you are to smart to be riding quads and should be running a library somewhere.

OutlawBill
06-14-2007, 11:29 AM
I have no problem with my rear wheels I just went to 10 inch rims

PS Lappy Raptors :blah:

katch26
06-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
I have a 04 YFZ450 that I purchased in March of that year. That makes my bike 3yrs 3mos old... I've never had problems with my rims rubbing my a arms, or having grooves dug into them from rubbing something else, or my stem simply folding from riding, etc... Yamaha has had charging issues (minor fix with the resistor kit), rod lubrication problems (fixed with an oil mod), and that was hit and miss. I never had a wristpen/rod problem. I have over 500hrs on my bike and the Polaris is having more problems in only a few hours of riding. THAT IS AN ISSUE!

I think you guys have EVERY right to complain to Polaris and anyone else that can get the problem resolved. Exspecially if they corrected those problems with stronger parts on a newer model.

exactly. First and foremost it SHOULDN'T have had to come to this, and thats not his fault that it did. Too many people take it upon themselves to fix a manufacturers issue but at the end of the day I (or outlaw50 in this case) am not the ones profiting. As far as the rims go the scratching is just the effect, its the cause thats more important and the fact that Polaris acknowleged the part enough to replace it shows you that they know there is a problem.