PDA

View Full Version : blaster vs. 300ex

blasterboy217
05-26-2007, 09:22 AM
I am 13 and about 5' . I am an experienced rider coming off of a modded cr85 bigwheel that I raced. I have a blaster but It is really holding me back. Is the 300ex better handling and faster or should I just stay with a blaster? Also how much bigger in size is a 300ex? I have a pipe,nerfs,reeds,and tires for the blaster and I am looking to race in the 200/300 class.I am open to other quads too but I thought that these two would be the best choices.

Tri-valleyracin
05-26-2007, 11:00 AM
even though you are in the 300ex section stay with the blaster. as you should now by now 2 strokes can be made faster with less work. put a bigger carbon it, port and polish the motor and youll have twice the power a 300ex will have. i would say bore it but a small stroker motor would make even more power.

quadracer420
05-26-2007, 08:39 PM
250x owns up to 300cc's IMO

ZSNOW
05-28-2007, 08:27 AM
if ur planning on racing neatv, u don't stand a chance on blasters, you see how much i got, i have trouble keeping up with the 300's, they pull the lower rpms out of the turns and crush the blasters , blasters just do not have the low end to do it, ride red you'll be happy, tc pipe port and polish and some 18's a 300 will wipe out a blaster on the track

Tri-valleyracin
05-28-2007, 06:34 PM
keep that blaster in the power range and gear it low and youll pull on the on the 300exs all the time. i have raced that class for 3 years on my 300ex and i have had seen blaster and 300exs win. its more rider and less bike. most of the guys out therehave raced that class for a few years and will out ride any one getting in to it.

ZSNOW
05-31-2007, 10:01 AM
yah being a first year rider is tuff

maddmatt02
05-31-2007, 11:12 PM
dont wanna sound rude, but you say "look at all i have, and I still cant keep up" all you got is a pipe and reeds.

if the class is 200-300 bump it up to a 240 with some port work and you should have way more power than a 300. I rode a pretty fast 300ex, they can move, but it was no longer below 300cc's.

also Ill second being a 1st year rider sucks, the track officials play favorites, at least here. supposed to get 2 minutes to get your bike working if you have a problem at the line or if theres a wreck in the first lap. race before mine they all walked the track to find some part for this guys YFZ, and got him back to the line, before that 2 of them rushed over to help this guy pop his chain back on when he got tangled in turn 1, my first night when we all came around turn one i ended up in 3rd, turn 2 1st and 2nd tangled and I got caught in it and spun around and lost my chain, they barely gave me the time to roll the bike to the infield before they had the rest lined up and restarted, and another night they kept blue flagging me to hold the outside line and let the seasons point leaders around me, even when I had a good enough lead to where I wasnt in there way.

I got 8th overall out of 33 though so I guess I didnt do too bad for a first year. especially on a 400ex up against a bunch of 450's in the open class.

elementryder
06-01-2007, 12:46 PM
a 240 kit is illegal...get a 300 and a tc engine,with long travel a-arms,axle,+2 swinger and youll be set

maddmatt02
06-01-2007, 05:15 PM
well maybe the 200/300 class designation is confusing me, does that mean a limit of 200cc's for 2's and 300cc limit for 4's then?

where I raced there was only displacement limits with no 4 stroke handicap as far as I remember

elementryder
06-01-2007, 07:51 PM
yeh 200 2's and 300 4's

ZSNOW
06-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by maddmatt02
dont wanna sound rude, but you say "look at all i have, and I still cant keep up" all you got is a pipe and reeds.

if the class is 200-300 bump it up to a 240 with some port work and you should have way more power than a 300. I rode a pretty fast 300ex, they can move, but it was no longer below 300cc's.

also Ill second being a 1st year rider sucks, the track officials play favorites, at least here. supposed to get 2 minutes to get your bike working if you have a problem at the line or if theres a wreck in the first lap. race before mine they all walked the track to find some part for this guys YFZ, and got him back to the line, before that 2 of them rushed over to help this guy pop his chain back on when he got tangled in turn 1, my first night when we all came around turn one i ended up in 3rd, turn 2 1st and 2nd tangled and I got caught in it and spun around and lost my chain, they barely gave me the time to roll the bike to the infield before they had the rest lined up and restarted, and another night they kept blue flagging me to hold the outside line and let the seasons point leaders around me, even when I had a good enough lead to where I wasnt in there way.

I got 8th overall out of 33 though so I guess I didnt do too bad for a first year. especially on a 400ex up against a bunch of 450's in the open class.

if you were talking to me about the all i got thing, i have just about ever part you can buy for a blaster other then a 240 kit , but that has nothing to do with we were talking about, blasters on new england style tracks do not have the power to pull low rpms , knowing there a 2 stroke this sounds kinda gay but 300ex's kick butt round here

Scott-300ex
06-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Hey man, Keep the blaster if you want.

And that guy who has 300's keep beating him, he just needs to learn how to ride a 2-stroke and he'd be fine.

I don't know if they'd let you have a 240 runnin 300's, cuz your damn near caught up to the 250x's and 42 away from the 300's cuz the 300's aren't really 300's.

But your modded CR85 was prolly faster than the 300 and the blaster.

Ride wut you want, blaster would be good, run it hard and wfo at all times thought, 300 you can lug and would be easier, take wut you want.

quadracer420
06-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Let me tell you this, Ive raced the 200/300 class for 3 years and Ive raced stock bores that are faster then some 240's and some 240's RIP. I agree that 250x/300ex are the way to go, there a bigger bike, better motor, and can be made VERY fast. My 288 cc Tc racing motor will win races if you can ride it, which is for sale.

ZSNOW
06-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
Hey man, Keep the blaster if you want.

And that guy who has 300's keep beating him, he just needs to learn how to ride a 2-stroke and he'd be fine.

I don't know if they'd let you have a 240 runnin 300's, cuz your damn near caught up to the 250x's and 42 away from the 300's cuz the 300's aren't really 300's.

But your modded CR85 was prolly faster than the 300 and the blaster.

Ride wut you want, blaster would be good, run it hard and wfo at all times thought, 300 you can lug and would be easier, take wut you want.

i would love to see you run the same lap times i do on my blaster, im fast , but 300's can just lug, im not trying to offend you but man blasters do not go as fast as a 300 with the same mods, blasters have issues in the turns, and knowing that there is a blaster in in 2nd overall this year, look how much money is in his quad..some of us i livin on nothing to race:ermm:

ZSNOW
06-03-2007, 03:27 PM
i stand corrected after the race i saw today, blasters were kickin but earlyer , ok sorry for alll the trouble, i get worked up easy lol

TYayo420
06-04-2007, 07:51 PM
get a 400ex, screw a 300ex, the older ones are ugly blaster look alike with the plastic goofy headlight on the bars...who the hell wants to see whats infront of there bars? i wanna see wher emy quads going not bars.

I started in a open class on a 400ex stock but pipe, i was 2nd in my first heat, 3rd in my main, only got 3rd cuz guy leadin crashed and i hit em, someone passed both us then we got going. I was keeping up with a yfz450 well ahead of him till the raptor 700 crashed. and a z400 i was ahead of too my first race. get a 400 and save some time by gettin a 300 and upgrading later.

maddmatt02
06-04-2007, 11:29 PM
sorry bud but a 400ex stock with a pipe will not keep up with a YFZ450 unless you are a kick *** rider and the other dude sucks and your on a technical track, I could put an idiot on a YFZ on a easy track and theyd beat a good rider on a stock 400. also riding at dusk/night is really the only time you need your lights. and when you turn the bars, the light turns and points in the direction you are going to be heading, if they stay straight ahead when you turn then they are NOT pointing where you ARE going, they are pointing where you WOULD HAVE been going if you had not initiated a turn. Ill agree they dont look that good though.

TYayo420
06-05-2007, 11:39 AM
well holmes, i had a fmf pipe, stock motor, he had a hmf pipe idk what else he had, and i beat em, its skill that plays a bigger roll the speed and hwo can handle a quad better

maddmatt02
06-05-2007, 07:49 PM
ok, what kind of race was this? and i still say he must suck though, because my girl has a 04 YFZ, DRD pipe, K&N, -1T me on a 01 400ex with a BB stroker kit, P&P head, HC stag2, ebc dirt racer clutch, -1T. the 400 does have slightly crappier tires, but we raced a total of 5 times, 3 times I was on the honda and twice we swapped to back up the results and every time the YFZ easily had a few bikes on the 400. it was bottlenecked cuz of the stock carb, im sure with a larger FCR id have beat it no prob. but his was jetted wrong or something, or he like some people and is just scared of its power, or like others and doesnt wind it up like that motor is designed to do.

I like the 400ex alot, but the YFZ is a far superior bike, and much much faster.

not saying you cant beat a YFZ with a 400, but if you say "screw the 300, get a 400 so you dont have to upgrade" makes it sound like you think the 400 is superior. and if you can ride a 400, and the other guy can ride his 450, and yours is just piped youre gonna get beat, thats all there is too it. im also assuming when you say stock you mean stock suspension.

bwamos
06-14-2007, 11:35 AM
The kid is 13 and 5ft tall. Probably about 100-110lbs. He's more than likley not physically ready to ride a yzf450. Too large. The ergo's would be terrible.

My suggestion would be to make a few performance upgrades to the blaster. It should be more inline with what your needs are in the frame size department.

A 300ex is not an upgrade. It is a parallel transition.

It's like upgrading from a TRX250R to a TRX450ER. ;) But not even that extreme. :p ;)

South Side
06-19-2007, 04:16 PM
We built a blaster that would tear the right front motor mount off the frame. We changed frames 3 times last season. Ask Tri-valley T.J. who answered your post first, he's seen it and rode it. Both are great machines. We went to a 300ex this season just to try it.
You can not run a 240 kit in the 200 - 300 class it's max 200cc 2 stroke engine
Therefore stroking it will bring it over too.

Ours was ported and polished, V-Force reeds, Reed spacer, Vito's Super Stock Piston, Twin Air Filter, Vito's Timing Key, Toomey Pipe And Silencer, 250R Carb and intake, and we went up one tooth on the rear sprocket.

This thing moved big time.

Boweman
06-20-2007, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by TYayo420
well holmes, i had a fmf pipe, stock motor, he had a hmf pipe idk what else he had, and i beat em, its skill that plays a bigger roll the speed and hwo can handle a quad better

if a 400ex with a pipe could beat a yfz450 with a pipe, then why arnt the pros riding air cooled 4 stroke engines with 20 year old technology over our current 450s? you must have some serious skills to beat a 450 it pretty much any situation.

Scott-300ex
06-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Well, I don't really care about your whole argument but last Flatrack race I was at there were like 3 400ex's out there and they were runnin like 2nd and 3rd, in the races they were in, and all 450's were behind them.

So they can be fast and rider deffinetly.

So, yeh