PDA

View Full Version : should i ride with my snorkel and air box lid on or off?

anabolicsman
05-25-2007, 09:50 PM
im wondering if i should have these on or off and what are the positive and negative effects of each?

CarGuy7a
05-25-2007, 11:24 PM
here's my setup. i'm running an EHS Racing lid with my snorkel still attached. the reason i did this is that i have it jetted so that i can run the vented lid in places that are mostly dry and if it's really muddy i can pop the stock lid on and i'm ready to go.

Positive effect. more power and air flow to the engine.

Negative effect. if you ride in excessive wet and muddy conditions you could get water and mud into the engine.

the EHS lid i have says it will protect minor water splashes. but if you sink it in water or a lake or something you're screwed. IMO if you sink it that far up on the quad you are in big trouble anyways.

sideways
05-25-2007, 11:57 PM
ive done a lot of mods to my 416, and i still run it with the stock airbox with the lid and snorkel still on. might npot be a good thing, but i ride ina good ammount of water and mud, so chose to leave them on. run an uni filter as well. taking the lid off makes a trap for water to go straight into the engine , so if you ride in mud or water, bad idea.... hope that helped

hornetgod13
05-26-2007, 10:46 AM
I also run a EHS Racing Lid on my 400EX. I have the snorkel removed and snorkel opening blocked-off. I have ran through large puddles and in heavy rain. Niether has led to any noticable water in the air box.
If you have the money to spend and would like the advantages of having your air box lid removed with out most of the risk that's normally involved, look into a EHS Racing lid. They sell kits that you can mod your own lid ($55) or fully built up lids ($80) that are ready to install. Check out their website here: http://www.ehsracing.com/products/400ex_airbox_EHS.htm

1965 honda
05-26-2007, 04:37 PM
i have the um aluminum air box with the battery inside with no lid and im always goin throuh water as high as my tires and iv never gottn water in there. just watch out when you wash it.

bigballz400
05-27-2007, 03:32 AM
on my 440 i got no lid and no snorkle and it breaths lol.....cant have too much air....more air more power

dondiesel444
05-27-2007, 06:16 AM
no lid, no snorkle for me

redv8jeep
05-28-2007, 11:23 AM
on my 440 i got no lid and no snorkle and it breaths lol.....cant have too much air....more air more power

u can always have too much air. doign that on a stocker might have a negative effect as you need the rite mix of air and fuel. not enoupgh fuel for that air is bad! duhh

bigballz400
05-28-2007, 02:22 PM
no sh*t...comman since there

redv8jeep
05-28-2007, 02:38 PM
watever u just said made no sense. u said u cant have enoupgh air. but ur wrong. get over it

JOEX
05-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Unfortunately common sense doesn't work with everyone:ermm: