PDA

View Full Version : YFZ Oil upgrade

Ride1Rob
05-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Just in case anyone has been thinking about getting this done, it's definitely worth it. I sent my outter right side case off last week to get the 07 oil upgrade and got it back Tuesday. Only 8 days for turnaround time. They modified my case to use the 07 oil squirter and also sent me the 07 oil pump that pumps more oil due to the added squirter. You can't beat the price of $199 considering when you purchase the kit from Yamaha it's over $400. Here's a link to their site...
http://www.jtatv.com/yfz450-oil-upgrade-kit.htm

Here are a couple of pics...
http://www.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/125/1258408cc53da0158d2aefcfe5e5cab9cce285.jpg (http://www.uploadhouse.com)

http://www.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/125/125845f2dcce3bd50094e3580935f0cd61a9af.jpg (http://www.uploadhouse.com)

http://www.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/125/125849c8cf9b5471b6e89e6577338985c48a3e.jpg (http://www.uploadhouse.com)

jshtex
05-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Thats good info! Definatly cheaper than buying all the 07 parts.

jshtex
05-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Thats good info! Definatly cheaper than buying all the 07 parts.

Toadz400
05-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Looks like a pretty good investment. Might have to do that this winter but on the site it says $219, do they do it for $199?

Ride1Rob
05-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Looks like a pretty good investment. Might have to do that this winter but on the site it says $219, do they do it for $199?

They may be charging for shipping on the site. On Ebay the shipping is free. Click this link for $199... http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZteam838wfo

Toadz400
05-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Awesome, thanks.

nicker71
06-05-2007, 12:40 PM
going to do mine on my next rebuild, along with the WR kit :D :D :D

speedfreaksguy
06-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Good info except for the markings on the oil pump. I just pulled one from a 2004 and it's maked E-2.

LTR450_#67
06-13-2007, 01:24 PM
I was just looking at some engine builder sites and found this at Nmotions website.

Read the second paragraph ----->Click me (http://nmotionatv.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=52)
Thought you YFZ guys might be interested....

Aaron

dr.dyfz
06-13-2007, 03:59 PM
im gonna get that since my y had a teaspone of oil in the case but had a full tank. got lucky so far cause it may have only got the crank.:( :( :( :(

Ride1Rob
06-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by LTR450_#67
I was just looking at some engine builder sites and found this at Nmotions website.

Read the second paragraph ----->Click me (http://nmotionatv.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=52)

Aaron

You can't beat that! But I wonder if it's the same mod with the highflow pump?

Originally posted by speedfreaksguy
Good info except for the markings on the oil pump. I just pulled one from a 2004 and it's maked E-2.

Yeah, I found out that the E-1 and E-2 doesn't matter with the stock or highflow. The shop that does the oilmod clarified that over at YFZCentral.

Toadz400
06-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by LTR450_#67

Aaron

It says there that's for the oil mod which is different from this oil upgrade. I think I'd rather have the high capacity oil pump with the actual oil squirter than a hole drilled in my case.

honda350r
06-21-2007, 09:01 PM
I just did my own today and can do it for anyone who wants it! I can do it cheaper than 200.00!!

honda350r
06-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Before the mod

Rappa
08-11-2007, 08:05 AM
So how did you figure out the specs for where to place the oil squiter? Did you call Yamaha or look at an '07 whice they say has it? Just curious - Rob.

Ride1Rob
08-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Actually, you send the right side case cover to them and they add the squirter to the outter case. They'll send you the pump and ring back and you change those out. He'll give you detailed instructions as well.

Rappa
08-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to look into purchansing the parts I need from BikeBandit.com and machine the outer case myself for the squirter. Wish me luck...

Toadz400
08-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by dr.dyfz
im gonna get that since my y had a teaspone of oil in the case but had a full tank. got lucky so far cause it may have only got the crank.:( :( :( :(

Just happened to notice this post. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Are the oil lines prone to clogging or is it some other problem?

Ride1Rob
08-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Just happened to notice this post. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Are the oil lines prone to clogging or is it some other problem?

There's an oil screen exiting the oil tank that can get clogged up with all kinds of trash. I'm more than sure that's why he's having that problem. Hope he's still not riding b/c that motor is going to go KABOOM from lack of oil. I put a post on this topic almost a year ago.

Ride1Rob
08-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Found it, here's the link http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=263415&highlight=screen

Toadz400
08-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
There's an oil screen exiting the oil tank that can get clogged up with all kinds of trash. I'm more than sure that's why he's having that problem. Hope he's still not riding b/c that motor is going to go KABOOM from lack of oil. I put a post on this topic almost a year ago.

Yea thanks for putting that link up again. Everyone should definitely see that. I checked mine out quite awhile ago and it wasn't nearly as bad as yours but it did have some shavings on it. I haven't checked it ever since but I plan on doing it soon as I won't be riding until next year due to surgery.

Rappa
08-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Wow, very shocking to see that build up and can now see why there has been such a problem and people doing the "oil-mod". I ordered my squiter and higher velocity oil pump for my '04 and am still going to install them for the extra security, but the first thing to do is clean out this oil screen. I am actually more surprised that I haven't seen this post come up any where else. All should know about this. Thanks for showing it again in this post.

Toadz400
08-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Now that I think of it, that link/thread should really be made a sticky in this sub-forum. Very, very important for every YFZ owner to see.

400exfan19
08-31-2007, 10:47 AM
would you recomend the oil mod for even a 04 that isnt raced and only has minor mods?

Rappa
08-31-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by 400exfan19
would you recomend the oil mod for even a 04 that isnt raced and only has minor mods?

I don't race mine, '04 w/mods, but whenever I get a chance i'm rippin hard on the trottle. So any extra protection to add life to the motor should get done. I just received my parts yesterday for the oil mod and hopefully I will finish by Mon. I would advise anyone and everyone who has our quads to to this for the small expense. Good luck...

Toadz400
08-31-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by 400exfan19

I would recommend getting the oil upgrade versus the oil mod on any YFZ no matter what kind of riding it goes through. The oil mod is going to be cheaper but I like the idea of having an actual squirter built-in and the high flow pump.

Rappa
09-01-2007, 11:53 AM
I would recommend getting the oil upgrade versus the oil mod on any YFZ no matter what kind of riding it goes through. The oil mod is going to be cheaper but I like the idea of having an actual squirter built-in and the high flow pump.

I thought the "oil mod" was with the new squirter and higher velocity oil pump, which is what I am doing and the oil upgrade was drilling holes in the outer case. Whatever... I'm doing mine the right way and I agree with you that everyone should also.

Toadz400
09-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Rappa
I thought the "oil mod" was with the new squirter and higher velocity oil pump, which is what I am doing and the oil upgrade was drilling holes in the outer case. Whatever... I'm doing mine the right way and I agree with you that everyone should also.

It's the other way around. Oil mod is the cheap way to do it and the oil upgrade is the right way to do it. Everyone should definitely have it done that has an '04-'06.

Rappa
09-02-2007, 11:30 AM
It's the other way around. Oil mod is the cheap way to do it and the oil upgrade is the right way to do it. Everyone should definitely have it done that has an '04-'06.

Cool, at least i'm doing the right one, the oil upgrade. I just received my parts and am going to tackle this myself. A friend of mine, who has a shop, is just going to help me machine the outer case to install the squirter. Doesn't look to hard. So good luck to me. :muscle: Later...

Toadz400
09-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Rappa
Cool, at least i'm doing the right one, the oil upgrade. I just received my parts and am going to tackle this myself. A friend of mine, who has a shop, is just going to help me machine the outer case to install the squirter. Doesn't look to hard. So good luck to me. :muscle: Later...

Sounds cool, let us know how it goes. Maybe even make a thread showing how you did it with some pictures.

myersracing41
10-17-2007, 07:49 PM
I noticed that Triumph motorsports has just put a high flow oil pump out on the market for $100.00.
I just purchased a new from the dealer 07, and I know that the 07 is supposed to be fixxed or not to have this problem.
What do you guys think should I purchase or not?

MAaudioX10
10-17-2007, 08:30 PM
The 07' YFZ's don't need an oil upgrade being they come from the factory with this already done.

As stated above, anyone with a YFZ older than 07' NEEDS to have this done. If it hasn't happened to you, it will. It is only a matter of time.

I was fortunate enough to only have the rod bearing seize and, I caused no other damage to the motor. The oil upgrade is the way to go!

myersracing41
10-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Cool, thanks.

Rappa
10-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Sounds cool, let us know how it goes. Maybe even make a thread showing how you did it with some pictures.

So the oil upgrade is, has been, done. I was so anxious to get it done and ride that the last thing on my mind was to record any of it. I will say that it was very easy especially with all of the easy to do on your own instructions you can find on some friendly forems. It is now a relief to hammer the throttle knowing you have extra oil going where it should. I bought this '04 YFZ450 used and it appreared that it was never ridin. It looked brand new. I did other things to it and it runs great. These include: the oil upgrade as stated above, the resistor kit which I am going to look into replacing my stator with one from RickyStator.com, GYTR jets w/168M, NCVQ needle on 5th clip, 45P and 2 turns out, replaced the carb spring for easier thumb control, o-ring between the accerlerator pump and the timing screw for better trottle response, MSR fuel mixture screw for on the fly adjustments, Boyesen Quick Shot accelerator pump cover, the all needed decompression plug, GYTR air filter w/no lid and taking out the baffle. I'm still running the stock battery and have not had any problems. If anyone has any questions regarding the 450 or wants to add some more please do. You learn alot by working on your own stuff. Later - Rob.

aclemac
03-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Where did you guys find for buying a squirter and high velocity oil pump for doing the upgrade yourself. I got a 07 clutch cover so all i need is the squirter and pump to do the upgrade.

Thanks

stic
03-17-2008, 06:56 PM
i sent mine out to j&t and got it back in like 4 days.cost was 209(10$ for s&h).todd over there was awesome to deal with and seems like a genuinely(sp?) good guy.ive only ridden it up and down the road a few times but theres piece of mind now and im glad i did this.
like said above....if you have an 04-06....do the oil upgrade.its good insurance.

aclemac
03-17-2008, 07:57 PM
What do the 07's have for getting oil to the head? On the 03 there is a oil pipe that is split. one goes to the clutch side case/cover, one goes to the other side of the bottom end cases (by the stator) and one goes in the head. I was looking at the 07 parts microphiche and it doesn't show any oil pipe at all. Anyone know if i put an 07 clutch side case/cover with the new squirter on, should i block the oil pipe places?

stic
03-18-2008, 03:59 AM
On the 03
theres an 03?