PDA

View Full Version : Tranny question

QuadJunkies
05-25-2007, 11:40 AM
We noticed that the mini was very hard to push recently and just thought it was from alot of mud causing smoe binding or something ,but after going threw the whole mini after my Sons race ,we found that it was an odd tranny issue...

The shaft that the rear clutch runs on shaft/gear is rubbing on the drive shaft for the sprocket. If you was to lay it in your hand it woud sit nicely....but.....
The two of them are only rubbing together when you assemble it ,put it in the bike,and the thrust washer on the middle gear is compressed.

We have tried two dif sprocket shafts both stock and Kasea style and they still rub,they grind together and cause a huge drag.
The flat surface to one gear is rubbing the flat surface of the other.

Any clues how to correct this ?:confused:
Also, if someone could steer me to the skematics for the Kasea and DRR to see that might be of some help too

I havent been able to get ahold of DRR all this week and Hetrick has never heard of this issue so were not sure how to correct this.

I cant wait until the day my kids graduate to the big quads :scary: lol

drr5
05-25-2007, 09:23 PM
did you happen to remove the gasket between the clutch cover and the engine? if so the drr will bind the clutch and bind the clutch shaft take a look in your cover we ran into this on ours.

QuadJunkies
05-26-2007, 12:32 AM
We did remove it , but it was re-installed.

drr5
05-26-2007, 08:02 AM
you may want to inspect the two pressed gears to see if they have stated to move apart ive had one set on the output shaft move apart as well as the main axle ( large and small gear in the center seperate that could cause what you are describing.

ecmini1
05-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Need to see if case tolorences are not out of specs. Also some of the gears are pressed on the shaft and could have moved. We use to weld them up untill we found solid gears. Just some ideas for ya.

QuadJunkies
05-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Case tolerances??
I guess Im not following.. We dont understand that one.
Any chance I could give us a buzz, or have you call us ,which ever works for you ??
We have replaced all the tranny gears with new ones and run the Kasea style.
We have no idea how to check for tolerances on the case.

QuadJunkies
05-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by drr5
you may want to inspect the two pressed gears to see if they have stated to move apart ive had one set on the output shaft move apart as well as the main axle ( large and small gear in the center seperate that could cause what you are describing.

My hubbys in the garage as we speak checking that out ,thanks :)

What would cause this?
Its been rode very little :confused:
less than one tank of fuel to be exact :p

QuadJunkies
05-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Still not sure whats the cause, but it now has yet another new set of tranny gears.
The drag is gone -FOR NOW until we can have him go ride it again and test it out.
There is still some kind of small noise that we cant quite figure out inside, were not liking that as it is not a noise we have heard before, but then again he hasnt rode it much either.

I think my Husband said something about the Kaseas seemed to fit alot tighter than the stock ones do or something to that effect.??:confused:

Guess I better go order another back up tranny :rolleyes:

jetmedic
05-28-2007, 04:54 AM
ecmini1, where did you get solid gears?

BradLoomis
05-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
The shaft that the rear clutch runs on shaft/gear is rubbing on the drive shaft for the sprocket. If you was to lay it in your hand it woud sit nicely....but.....
The two of them are only rubbing together when you assemble it ,put it in the bike,and the thrust washer on the middle gear is compressed.

If the washer is bent on the tranny cover gears bearing hold down... chances are that the output shaft has been pushed in a little. Or check the thickness of the tranny cover gasket. I just buy extra thick Mr. Gasket material and build my own so that when they are compressed well they seal better than the factory paper and stay at the right compressed thickness. But I'd be willing to bet it is the bearing seat in the cover.

QuadJunkies
05-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Thanks Brad, Ill let Troy know about this and have him check it.
I would like to try and save another tranny failure def. before it starts again.
Seems like the only time the kids get any seat time is for a race and things are always the last minute findings this year which sucks for them . :scary: lol

QuadJunkies
05-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Troy said that he already thought that might be an issue, so he dbl.'d up two gaskets prior but didnt think it solved the problem completely..
We switched oils as well and were going to go out and run it mindly and go back threw it and see how everything looks again.

BradLoomis
05-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Tina,
Have Rich take a closer look at the #22 washer. That little thin washer is what holds #25 Drive Assembly,Primary Input Shaft / Bearing in place in the cover.
http://www.partsland.com/atv03predator90drivepulley.gif
I have found that with a shock to the system, the bearing will be pushed out of it's seat in the cover towards the #9 Drive Axle Assembly (pic below). To thick of a gasket assembly will only weaken the transmission by making the gap to large and allowing the #11 Axle Main Gear (pic below)to move around because the shim spacing is not correct.
http://www.partsland.com/atv03predator90driveshaft.gif

QuadJunkies
05-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Troy said he will go over all that info but says there is still something else going on in there.

Has anybody had any transmission issues with the DRR by running the Kasea style spocket shaft?

All 3 of our tranny gears are wearing BADLY with no seat time on them.
DRR says the Kasea style is different and may be the problem.

Not sure what we should do now

:confused:

aasco90
05-29-2007, 09:02 PM
is the "c" clip on the shaft? and is the gear on the output shaft flush with the shaft , the kasea gear will spin on the shaft, i just welded a set last week,the middle gear is pressed also make sure it hasnt moved , check the clip on the shaft there souldnt be any play in and out.

QuadJunkies
05-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by aasco90
is the "c" clip on the shaft? and is the gear on the output shaft flush with the shaft , the kasea gear will spin on the shaft, i just welded a set last week,the middle gear is pressed also make sure it hasnt moved , check the clip on the shaft there souldnt be any play in and out.

been there... checked that too lol...thanks for the suggestion though!:) everything has been looked at and gone threw.

We are bagging the Kasea style and going back to stock.

Ill have a tranny saver for sale and a few other things if anyone is interested..

Apparently a washer was missing (gear #11) during maufacturing :rolleyes: JUST OUR LUCK!!

It has to be a specific size so now I need to find where in the hell Im going to be able to order a washer as we cant seem to get a hold of Lou today to ask where I can get one. I dont think this will be something that people will have sitting on there shelves.

If anyone can find me a dealer thats good to deal with I am currently looking for one.

markvette
05-30-2007, 11:10 AM
what washer is it, where exactly does it go.

Mark

QuadJunkies
05-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by markvette
what washer is it, where exactly does it go.

Mark
Brad may be able to explain that better than I. I only got the info over the phone with Troy on it this morning.
BTW thanks Brad for the call,much appreciated. :)

BradLoomis
05-30-2007, 02:47 PM
No problem Tina... Anytime.

Mark, the washer is the hardened ground one that goes over the idler gear that keeps it from grinding into the magnesium side case. I am looking around right now for some of my extra ones. But I told Rich how to measure it so I can shim it correctly.

markvette
05-30-2007, 02:57 PM
your talking about the small one not the large concave one right.

BradLoomis
05-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Yes it is the small hardened steel ground one. Not the big concaved cover disc out of stamped steel.

I bought a variety of different thicknesses so that I could shim the gear in and out to get the best teeth coverage. Problem is I can't find them now cause I heven't torn a tranny out or had to set one up for anybody in a couple of years. But I will find them... probably the last place I left them.... If only my mind wasn't going...

QuadJunkies
05-30-2007, 11:53 PM
I think Troy was able to get a hold of a new tranny that should be shipping out this week.

Also, apparently with so many changes made to the DRR, I was told to make sure and dbl. check the diagrams to make sure they are to your correct year and model.
In our case, they was the correct one.

Full Throttle00
06-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Lou is usually pretty busy.
Why not contact your local dealer where you purchased your quad?

QuadJunkies
06-05-2007, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Full Throttle00
Lou is usually pretty busy.
Why not contact your local dealer where you purchased your quad?
Oh, I know Lou is swamped. He has been very ,very helpful to us and awesome to deal with and I appreciate him a bunch.:)

wvspeedfreak
11-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Is the stock drr transmission supposed to have the large stamped steel concave washer AND the small flat ground washer?I just took ours apart for inspection and it had no small washer installed.It had never been apart before either.

All of the Kasea and Eton transmissions I have had apart had the large and small washer.

We have not had any trouble out of this transmission yet and everything looked good...............just wondering if the small washer is supposed to be in there :confused:

wvspeedfreak
11-30-2007, 09:32 AM
Well,I found an exploded view of the drr trans and it did not show the small washer so I guess it is how it should be.I just thought it was odd.

QuadJunkies
11-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
Well,I found an exploded view of the drr trans and it did not show the small washer so I guess it is how it should be.I just thought it was odd.
Maybe there was a change in the model you have ?
I know DRR had made some changes and the diagrams are not for everyones quads...
Jason, you might give Lou a call just to be sure..;)
Were you to referrring to the same thing I was were you? Ours was missing.

wvspeedfreak
11-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Maybe there was a change in the model you have ?
I know DRR had made some changes and the diagrams are not for everyones quads...
Jason, you might give Lou a call just to be sure..;)
Were you to referrring to the same thing I was were you? Ours was missing.

Yes,I was referring to the small flat washer that goes between the large concave washer and the transmission cover.The diagram I looked at only shows the large concave washer however,every transmission I have ever had apart(Kaseas and Etons) had the smaller flat one in there too.
This transmission has some time on it and there has been no issues with it.Everything looks good,I was just expecting to see that washer when I took it apart and wanted to know for sure if it needed to be in there before I re-assembled it.

wvspeedfreak
11-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Here is the diagram I was referring to.

http://www.g-forcepowersports.com/files/90ccair44wide.pdf

Scroll down to page 10.Item #8 is the large washer that is in there but is there supposed to be a small flat washer that also goes in there right on the back side of washer #8?

tireman43
11-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Jason, I've had mine apart 3 times. Ours does not have one either. I think it's normal. Kevin

wvspeedfreak
11-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by tireman43
Jason, I've had mine apart 3 times. Ours does not have one either. I think it's normal. Kevin

Thanks man.