PDA

View Full Version : Brake Rotor bolts

ZSK
05-25-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm going to change the rear rotor on my 05 and just have that feeling that I'm going to strip the heads out. Does anyone know the size and thread so I can pick up some new ones at the hardware? I'd like to have them on hand after I strip out the old ones.

bradley300
05-25-2007, 08:32 AM
they arent normal bolts, so be carefull, or order some from the dealer. hard to explain, but the threads are a different size (narrower) than the part of the bolt that goes thru the rotor its self. just clean the head out real good, then i tapped the allen wrench in with a hammer to make sure it was all the way in. they were tight, but i didnt come close to stripping them

ZSK
05-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Sounds like they are shoulder bolts.

parkers30
05-25-2007, 11:01 AM
I'd give Laz a call and see what they are using with the sprocket guards. The factory bolts are like a mini shoulder bolt, the diameter difference is not dramatic, but it is ever so slighly larger than the threads.

remember: the allen is metric, my dad decided the metric wouldn't go in and stripped a few of mine out using a standard allen wrench

rpyfz450
05-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Those allen heads are very soft. Use a pair of pliers or vice grips around the head of the bolt as you turn it with an allen key. Even being careful, I managed to chew up one of the four bolts.

ZSK
05-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Ended up taking the hub off the axle and using a pair of vice grips while holding the whole thing in the vice. Stripped the hell out of the bolts.:rolleyes:

jshtex
05-25-2007, 07:38 PM
I had the most luck just using the allen head to hold it while I removed the nut from the back.

We lost three out of four in an XC race once and I was able to pick up some at a hardware store that worked for me untill I got replacement stockers. The only issue for me was the hardware store bolts were a little longer and were close to hitting.

ZSK
05-26-2007, 08:41 PM
There's no nuts on the brake hub, the bolts thread into the hub itself. Sprocket side uses nuts.

jshtex
05-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by ZSK
There's no nuts on the brake hub, the bolts thread into the hub itself. Sprocket side uses nuts.

Doh... I was thinking sprocket hub.... Yeah the brake side is a bummer.

Toadz400
05-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Yea those allen heads suck. I stripped out 2 of them and got the other two out with a little difficulty. Ended up using a vice grips to twist them out and that worked just fine. I had gotten new bolts for it so I wasn't too worried about my old ones.

atvrider#2
06-05-2007, 12:37 PM
yeah i just took my axle off and in order to get those off without stripping you take a hammer and punch and go around and hit them 2 good times and they will come right off.