PDA

View Full Version : what is the snorkel for and what is the benifits of the air box lid being off?

anabolicsman
05-24-2007, 09:34 PM
i just got this 400ex and the snorkel is off and they have the airbox lid off now what is the benifits of these being off and shouldnt they be on so dirt wont get in the engine and carb? i ride in dirt,dusty,muddy trails

Carter
05-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Snorkel & airbox lids have the same goal, to keep stuff out of the box.

Benefits of removing one or both? Increased airflow with the proper supporting mods.

You'd have to make the judgment call as to whether or not you want to rejet and if it's worth it to potentially ****ty up the filter.

My quad? I don't run either, but I'm at the stage where it made a difference and I'm conscientious enough to take care of the filter and avoid those situations where I might wish that I still had the lid on.

anabolicsman
05-24-2007, 10:51 PM
well with riding with them off would that risk dirt getting in your engine and carb?

Carter
05-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Is the lid or snorkel the 'air filter'?

No.

If your filter is up to the task, then there's not an issue with filtration, the issues lie with getting everything nasty and potentially ruining filters.

hornetgod13
05-25-2007, 12:35 AM
The SNORKEL feeds air into the airbox. The AIR FILTER is inside the air box. The benifit of removing the air box lid is increasing the air flow to the air filter and engine allowing the motor to create more power. With the air box lid off, the snorkel is not required and can be removed for weight savings. Important thing to remember, when you increase the airflow, you MUST rejet the quad to ensure the proper air/fuel mixture is being achieved. If you ride in wet places or excessively muddy places, I highly recommend leaving your air box lid ON. Dry riding and light rains are safe to pull the lid OFF.

anabolicsman
05-25-2007, 01:22 PM
does it do any difference if i have these on or off?

Bill Fuller
05-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Put them back on,unless you ride on perfectly groomed trails with no dust or road ride. I race XC and wouldn't run without the airbox lid. Unless you have a built up motor you won't be able to tell that much difference,not enough to justify rebuilding twice as often.