PDA

View Full Version : help with starting my quad??? with no clutch?

anabolicsman
05-24-2007, 09:33 PM
i just got this 2001 400ex and i posted before about my quad would only start in neutral matter if the clutch was pulled in or not! now somebody told me under the shifter was a wire that was connected to something that looked like a button they said pull it out and ground it now i did that! and now it will start with the clutch not even being pulled in and the neutral light stays on the whole time somebody help me? i want to be able to start it with the clutch pulled in only and i want the neutral light off

400eXr1d3rZ
05-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Did you get a new clutch perch and lever recently?

Carter
05-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Sounds like you grounded the neutral safety switch instead of the clutch safety switch.

anabolicsman
05-24-2007, 10:13 PM
like i said i just got the thing i dont even know what a clutch perch is or if he got new lever recently! but for the guy that said i grounded the neutral wire instead please help me find what to ground then? i grounded the only wire under the clutch

hornetgod13
05-25-2007, 12:20 AM
If the quad had it's original clutch handle and mounting bracket replaced than odds are the original owner never connected (spliced) the two wires that ran to the original clutch handle safety switch. This switch is a safety feature that prevents the quad from being started in gear unless the clutch handle is pulled in and the safety switch is activated. Like I had mentioned before, the best way to over ride this is to connected the two wire togther. If you don't, than the only way to start it is in neutral.
According to the wiring diagram CONNECT the GREEN and YELLOW/GREEN Wires. Remember once you do this correctly, the quad will attempt to start in or out of gear. Be certain to remember to pull the clutch in. You don't want to run anything over.

anabolicsman
05-25-2007, 03:50 AM
there are no wires

anabolicsman
05-25-2007, 01:21 PM
come on everybody i need some help

QIKLTR
05-25-2007, 03:18 PM
hornetgod is correct those wires are there the previous owner must have tucked them under the front fender where you cant see them...splice them and you will be good to go.

hornetgod13
05-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Those wires are there. Most likely hidden or tucked away. He could have wrapped them up with the wire bundle that runs out to the Kill/Start/Head light buttons near the left handle grip. Look for a "home made" tape job and I'm certain you'll find the wires you need to connect.
See the picture of my quad below. I spliced and taped the two wires in with the wire bundle running out the left handle bar. Search your wire bundle and you should find what you're looking for.

brokenmike
05-27-2007, 08:51 PM
all you got to do is go to your starter solenoid and ground the yellow with a green stripe.it will work