PDA

View Full Version : How far do u ride to get to ur spot?

bmennen07
05-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Well I ill probably be getting an atv soon and there are 2 riding spots by my house. There not officially atv trails but its what everyone uses them for. My problem is, i have to ride either 1/2 mile or a mile to get to it as I dont have a truck that I can use all the time. Riding the 1/2 mile isnt bad cause I go by my uncles house who is a head of the police department so ill just pull in if a cop is following me.

But when Im riding to my other spot, it has to be on a side street for a little bit. What do most of the cops say to you? Like I wont get my quad taken away will I? Any of you just hall *** and try to get away? Did any of u get caught afterwords? then what did they say? Lol im kinda nervous...

gncc025
05-24-2007, 09:24 PM
i have to ride a good ways to get to some of my spots. the closest place to my house is a little more than a .25 mile up the road but i ride to a sand pit thats about 10 miles off lol. but its all gravel country roads so its no problem.

Rootar
05-24-2007, 09:34 PM
even though there are thousands of acres to trail ride all around my house, you get to them on the gravel county roads, heck somepoeple drive out here from town just to run up and down the gravel roads, we are the only 3 houses within a 6 mile radius and in the ten years we have lived here i have never ever seen a cop down any of our roads. heck the road graders only come about twice a year now, i got bored with hills and trails so i started building jumps and now i never even leave the house, just down the drive way,go across one pasture and pass the barn and im right where i wanna be......

btw go ask your uncle he could tell you exactly what would happen. or what wouldnt.

JOEX
05-24-2007, 09:38 PM
The closest riding I have is a 40+ minute DRIVE one way. Not including setting up, loading and unloading:(

While I understand the desire to ride, and it can be a strong one, I still don't understand getting into an activity when there's no reasonable way to participate without the fear of getting caught doing something illeagal.

I hope you're able to find a way to enjoy riding responsibly:)

bmennen07
05-24-2007, 09:38 PM
well i dont wanna ask him cause he might say, u better not ride on the road, just use ur dads truck when hes not busy. But usually when I get pulled over in a car im like, btw, do u know my uncle lol. Its helped me there but idk cause theres some new dicks that would prob. love to see me suffer.

05-24-2007, 10:01 PM
there isnt nothing wrong with going a reasonable speed on a ATV on the side of the road. 2nd or 3rd and just cruise there....if a cop pulls you over just say you didnt know, and say you have drivers licsense and was being respectful to everyone

holtzer1
05-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Legaly

1: you can get a ticket for an uninsured vehicle on a public highway
2: driving a vehicle on a public highway without proper signalling devices(horn, turn signals)
3: driving an unlawful off road vehicle on a public highway
4: reckless endangerment
they CAN impound your quad

theres alot more to the law side of it than you think..
now IF you can ride OFF the side of the road..you may be entitled to a little more leeway..but its still illegal.

JOEX
05-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Honda86
there isnt nothing wrong with going a reasonable speed on a ATV on the side of the road. 2nd or 3rd and just cruise there....if a cop pulls you over just say you didnt know, and say you have drivers licsense and was being respectful to everyone
I agree riding along side a rural rode at a reasonable speed, being aware of your surroundings and respectful to others is relativly safe. Unfortunatly it is still illegal in most localities. The playing dumb routine has limited results ;)

This is something that should be taken up with your local legislators, preferably as a group. It is possible to have an affect on laws and legislation if those with like minded ideals band together with a common goal.

holtzer1
05-24-2007, 10:32 PM
personaly i am all for tryin to get atv's street legal...with the gas prices like they are...using an atv to drive around rural towns wouldnt be any more unsafe than a motorcycle.