PDA

View Full Version : Framing Nail Guns

JOEX
05-24-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm thinking of picking up a pnuematic framing nail gun for an up coming project. I haven't looked into these much yet but from browsing the ads theres a spec that comes up in 'degrees' that varies from 18* to 32* or somewhere around there. I assume it has to do with the angle of the nail 'magazine' that fit in the slide. My terminology may be wrong but I think some may know what i'm talking about.

The questions are what is the importance of this spec and why is there such a variance? What are the pros and cons of specific angles? Anything else I should consider?

I'm just a 'hobbiest' so the pro level tools aren't in the budget. I'm thinking below $200.

EX lvr
05-24-2007, 09:10 PM
the different angles are for shortening the gun ex. the steeper the angle the more nails you can fit in a stick in a shorter space ( if that makes sense) also there is clipped and round head nailers, just like it sounds a clipped head is chopped off on one side so that more nails can fit in the magazine since their tighter together. and there is even coil framing guns that can fit a ton of nails in em. but ive never use one. hope this helps, id recomend a paslode, is what we use

JOEX
05-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the info and it made sense, I think. I also wondered if the steeper angle had anything to do with fitting into tighter spaces:confused:

Clip heads vs round heads was going to be the next question:p Any disadavantages of the clip heads?

EX lvr
05-24-2007, 09:30 PM
yup thats what i was tryin to say lol steeper angle=shorter=tighter spaces, clipped heads pull through a lil easier than a full round head, but its really not a huge difference and nothing you would really notice with a framing gun

parkers30
05-25-2007, 08:30 AM
We use Paslode's. I think all Paslod makes is clipped heads, but we have never had an issue with them pulling through. No clue on the angle I know the two framing guns we have are different angles, but I have never noticed one seeming to be easier to use over the other.

I think the key for you is figuring out which one the nails are going to be cheaper for and what you can find a deal on. I know Paslode's are spendy (300+) but you never have to deal with an air hose or compressor.

Scott-300ex
05-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by EX lvr
the different angles are for shortening the gun ex. the steeper the angle the more nails you can fit in a stick in a shorter space ( if that makes sense) also there is clipped and round head nailers, just like it sounds a clipped head is chopped off on one side so that more nails can fit in the magazine since their tighter together. and there is even coil framing guns that can fit a ton of nails in em. but ive never use one. hope this helps, id recomend a paslode, is what we use

I disagree, in those types of nailers they are like brad nailers and all the nails are glued together and I gaurentee if you go look at a store a flat one and and angled one will have the same amount of nails to hold. Cuz you put 2 clips of nails in, either gun, so it has the same amount.

And most framing nailers use coils, buy a box with like 36 coils in it. We use the Bosch.

JOEX
05-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
I disagree, in those types of nailers they are like brad nailers and all the nails are glued together and I gaurentee if you go look at a store a flat one and and angled one will have the same amount of nails to hold. Cuz you put 2 clips of nails in, either gun, so it has the same amount.

And most framing nailers use coils, buy a box with like 36 coils in it. We use the Bosch.
I recall seeing any coil type framing nailers, just roofing nailers:confused:

mikeB
05-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Botsch make an insane framing nailer.. i think it was a N16 or somthin.. reall heavy and never bounched.. my dads got one.. but they dont make the parts for them.. but i would go Bostch

mikeB
05-25-2007, 07:42 PM
heres a picture of the finish nailer that is just as good..

mikeB
05-25-2007, 07:43 PM
another

400exrider707
05-25-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm no framin nail gun expert by any means, but I can tell you, that while I worked at The Home Depot, we sold a LOT of Paslodes.

JOEX
05-25-2007, 08:19 PM
I haven't heard of Paslodes until this thread. Must be because I haven't looked at the battery powered nailers since I don't think they'll fit my uses. Mainly because i'm just a hobbiest and there can be some lengthy down times where I wont use a tool for several months and when I do want to use it i'd like it to ready to go, not having to wait to recharge a battery that I forgot to recharge the last time it was used.

If I were using the tool regularly I can see the cordless version being the way to go. I do have a Makita cordless drill and it's great, luckily I have two batteries but sometimes I still have to wait an hour or two to use it.

How about the Lithium Ion technology?

bulkdriverlp
05-25-2007, 10:19 PM
just a little advice, even though your just a hobbyist, id rather buy it right the first time. why buy cheap junk and have it break after a year. id go with the battery paslode, air hoses are a pain even if your just a do-it-yourselfer. i wouldnt worry about the clipped or round, or how many nails it holds for what you need. jmo

T.Hopp
05-26-2007, 11:57 AM
I just recently got a Porter Cable (same as Dewalt ,black and decker) FR350.
Under $200 and takes 22 degree clips. Home depot and Lowes carry many different sizes in this angle.
Porter Cable has a FR350A which takes a dual stack (4 clips ) of nails at once for a little more.

I had no issues other than shooting more nails than needed while framing! BANG!BANG!BANG!

Also, Clipped head nails aren't allowed by some building code jurisdictions.