PDA

View Full Version : water pump question

quadgod440ex
05-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Ok poped the water pump cover off of my bike to check it out today , Wondering if i should have any movment in it at all ? The fin does NOT spin freely . i wanna know if that is sopose to be like that? Also i can move the fins up down side to side , when i go to spin it , it has about half in each way to spin it. PLEASE let me know if this sound right or sounds like it needs to be replaced. My bike is making a wierd noise im tryin to narrow down the problems before i get to tearing the crank out. Thanks

Chino886
05-24-2007, 02:40 PM
That does not sound good!

quadgod440ex
05-24-2007, 03:13 PM
ok , good now im getting some where , does ur water pump move around at all chino? Seems like u have been through alot so u could probley answer every question i have haha. Do you have aim ? it would be much easier to talk there. If not its all good. But yea do you have any movement in ur waterpump at all ?

Chino886
05-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by quadgod440ex
ok , good now im getting some where , does ur water pump move around at all chino? Seems like u have been through alot so u could probley answer every question i have haha. Do you have aim ? it would be much easier to talk there. If not its all good. But yea do you have any movement in ur waterpump at all ?

Nope, it should stay still, mine just spins!

quadgod440ex
05-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Ok your waterpump spins freely completely? Damn mine i can only spin about 1/4 inch then it stops both ways forward and backwards. hmmm theres gotta be a problem, im takin the side case off tonight to check it out. Thanks chino

Chino886
05-25-2007, 09:28 AM
No problem, it may be hitting the side case causing it to bind up. The clearance is very tight right there.

quadgod440ex
05-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Ok i have the side cover off , water pump has got to be shot it moves all over the place and if i look on the round part of the waterpump it looks like it was rubbing against the sidecase pretty bad. Next question is...... where the waterpump shaft connects to watever the shaft coming from the crank area is , should that spin free also? im thinking it shouldnt cause it looks like it is connected to the crank probley and thats probley wat spins the waterpump when the motor is running but i just wanna double check. Let me know Thanks... i will probley replace the hole waterpump assembly and hopefully this is the noise i was hearing. Cause i checked my timing chain and it seems to be pretty tight and everything is on time , so if the waterpump isnt the problem im gonna have to go with the crank issue.

desratt
05-25-2007, 07:14 PM
no it won't spin freely