PDA

View Full Version : Battery not keeping a charge

SnowX
05-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Seems like my battery's not getting charged. Anyone run across this problem? What could be the potential problems? It's an 01 Raptor.

jlraska
05-25-2007, 10:14 AM
is it the original stock battery. if so take it to an auto parts dealer and have them check it. may only need to replace

250r4life
05-25-2007, 01:54 PM
if you run it all the way dead, like leaving the key on... theyre pretty much done for...

SnowX
05-27-2007, 07:27 PM
The battery is brand new. the problem is not with the battery, it's with the quad not charging the battery. Is there an alternator on the machine, or something of the sort?

Talljess
05-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by SnowX
The battery is brand new. the problem is not with the battery, it's with the quad not charging the battery. Is there an alternator on the machine, or something of the sort?
not an alternator but there is a stator..sounds like hopefully just dirty brushes but stator can be spendy

jlraska
05-27-2007, 09:02 PM
so if you charge the battery it will start? when my startor went it didn't kill the battery. it would turn over but not fire.

SnowX
05-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Yeah, I can charge the battery with a trickle charger and it starts, I can also boost the quad with my truck and it starts.

After about 25-30 starts, then the battery dies and I need to charge it again.

QuadManiac
05-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Although Yamaha still calls this a stator, it isn't really like the stators of old. It has no slip rings or brushes, and it's almost identical to a 3 phase, moving magnet alternator. It generates AC, which is then converted to DC by 6 diodes and then held to 13.5 (or so) volts by a regulator. These functions take place in the Rectifier/Regulator. Check to make sure that the Rec/Reg is connected, and that all connections between stator, Rec/Reg and battery are clean and corrosion free. Measure the battery voltage with a volt meter when the engine is running. Should be somewhere around 13.5 volts. If it's closer to 12, you definitley need to find whether it's the stator or the Rec/Reg or the wiring that's the culprit.

There are 2 more windings in the stator area, one is the charging/rotation direction coil and the other is the pickup coil. These generate voltage for the CDI spark system, and tell the CDI when to fire. They are unrelated to the charging portion of the stator. When they fail, u get no spark.

Good luck!