PDA

View Full Version : Race day prep

riding4fun
05-24-2007, 11:32 AM
I would like a little help with this. Aside from the usual hand tools what other tools or parts should I have on hand for the race day. Do you guys put together a checklist? Tightening bolts?

Any input is welcomed as this will be my first official Crew Chief position. Race is in two weeks, I don't want to let the kids down. What are some of the not so obvious items?

Thanks

BradLoomis
05-24-2007, 12:49 PM
I have a 24 foot enclosed race trailer with spare motors and every spare that I own. I could actually build a complete spare bike from all of the parts. After years of doing this... I found out that no matter how much prep and planning I did... that what ever I did not bring with me was the one part that would fail. It's mini quad racing which means that there is no rhyme or reason for why it has cost me so much money and so much loss of sleep... and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Make sure it is just fun and exciting for the family to be together at the race. Get milk crates, plastic stackable bins, etc. and take everything you can. Do your prep work at home, not the morning of the race at the track.

bulldogfallon
05-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Don't forget:

MX Gear
Keys for quads
Gas
Number Plates
Wallet
Clean Air Filters
Extra Spark Plugs
Axle tightened
Chain tension
camera
tire pressure
arrive early (helps with the unexpected)
zip ties and duck tape
directions/map

to have fun

kenjolly
05-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Make sure the bolts on the exhaust are tight and a few extra ones wouldnt hurt, they seem to come lose often. extra manifold boot. I check our quads after the last race when im washing them. plus last time my 6yr old helped wash he filled the pipe with water and i didnt know it for a week$ 400.00 parts and labor,now im lerning to do the work myself. so always start them after you washem.

Good luck and remember its for them, you will enjoy watching them grow each week if you keep it fun.

wvspeedfreak
05-24-2007, 02:07 PM
Check the codition of the fuel lines often.They seem to get brittle fairly quick.

riding4fun
05-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Good stuff, keep em coming.

drr5
05-24-2007, 06:18 PM
emphasis on the WALET,CHECKBOOK,LINE OF CREDIT AND THE NAME OF A GOOD LOAN SHARK, lol

kenjolly
05-24-2007, 07:04 PM
drr5 is so right. remember you get what you pay for. get the good stuff and use the best people to do your motor work.

Logan #34's Dad
05-24-2007, 11:05 PM
The ONE thing you should not leave home without is: EXTRA TRANNY GEARS! They will fail - I promise. It's too easy to fix if they break to not race both motos that you paid for.
Wallet - AMEN!

ecmini1
05-25-2007, 05:23 AM
Everyone has forgot the most imporant item their RACER. :D

This is good stuff.

Tranny gears?, Beef up your trans you wont have to worry about breaking them trannys.

drr5
05-25-2007, 08:29 AM
ya know ive forgotten just about everything once, but cant remember forgeting my racer:D , but i guess if i remembered everything else i needed i just might forget him:rolleyes: