PDA

View Full Version : Stock crank vs Aftermarket

quadgod440ex
05-24-2007, 09:40 AM
I think the crank bearings may be goin in my 05 450r , My question is while i get it apart should i throw in a factory replacement crank or should i go with an aftermarket one? Anyone who has some decent input please let me know. My next race is in 2 weeks so i will be tearings the motor down asap to make sure i can have it done in time. Thanks

chillinsk8err
05-24-2007, 10:55 AM
heres my two cents. Hot rod cranks are lighter so less rotaing mass and if you want you can stroke it out. now OEM that is what i would go for. bc some hot rod cranks cracks the rods. i would just go with stock cant go wrong. but unless you want more power go with hot rod.

400exrider707
05-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Defnitely OEM. Falicon supercranks which are some of the best cranks available are made from a modified OEM crank. I have heard some reports of the Hotrods being unreliable, though I've never seen any actual proof, I haven't heard anything bad about a Honda crank.

Chino886
05-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by chillinsk8err
heres my two cents. Hot rod cranks are lighter so less rotaing mass and if you want you can stroke it out. now OEM that is what i would go for. bc some hot rod cranks cracks the rods. i would just go with stock cant go wrong. but unless you want more power go with hot rod.

What about balancing out the rotating mass?

quadgod440ex
05-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Chino i know you have been building your motor recently , what crank did you go with ? How is ur build coming ? I plan on tearing my motor down and have it back up and running in about 2 full working days.

Chino886
05-24-2007, 01:41 PM
The build is going good, just not enough time.

I went with OEM! I would go OEM again too if I had it to do all over again. If I wanted to stroke it, I would probably go Hot Rod.

I will be replacing my crank every season from now on! To have your crank seize up sucks!

I will also be changing my oil regimen also!

I should be breaking it in this Friday! :devil:

quadgod440ex
05-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Yea im thinkin about going OEM , i have a 480 kit and when i first installed it the bike ran like a rapped ape. I loved it , no need for me to stroke it. Im starting to feel a lose in power , and wanna ge this problem fixed before i end up destroying the bottom end. Ill keep you guys posted. thanks for the input

jshtex
05-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Out of curiosity (sp) you say your feeling a loss in power, are you seeing any shavings in your oil filter or are there any other symptoms that make you think it is the bearing failure?

I own an 05 that I bought new in the crate in november of 06 and I am just trying to figure out what to watch for.

quadgod440ex
05-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Ive changed my oil after EVERY ride since i got the bike new in 05 . It is expensive but i believe it does help. I havnt seen any type of shavings in the oil at all. Ive been looking for it the last 2 times if changed the oil because thats when ive been noticing the noise. I cant even explain the noise it is making because its to hard. im just trying to narrow down the problems it could possibly be. But honestly i dont wanna think about it but im leaning more towards the bearings now. Ive posted another thread about a question on the water pump , once i get some answers from there ill know a bit more.

jshtex
05-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Im with you on the oil changes, our bike gets new oil every race weekend (thats basically the only time it gets run) and a new filter every other oil change.

If you come across any clues that would help me keep an eye on it, please share.

hendershot106
05-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
The build is going good, just not enough time.

I went with OEM! I would go OEM again too if I had it to do all over again. If I wanted to stroke it, I would probably go Hot Rod.

I will be replacing my crank every season from now on! To have your crank seize up sucks!

hey having your crank seize suCKS!!!!!!!!! jjust happend to me on sunday--- and now im out of cash since i just split the cases putting all new transmission gears,, clutches,, basket and gaskets----- now i have to split er again and replace the crank---

CHINO I TOO WILL BE REPLACING MY CRANK AFTER EVERY SEASON
:( :( :( :ermm:

Chino886
05-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Sorry to hear that bro!

Extra vibration, metal shavings, and hard idle would be some good symptoms to look for!

blasterracer88
05-27-2007, 02:00 PM
im sorry but if yur stock crank went out and you but in another oem crank you shouldnt be aloud to ride a quad. i had mine go out after 3 months of ride and i had a corrilo rod put in and it was blanced to a cp piston and the motor runs so much smoother on top end. i have over 300hrs of practice and racing on my motor and i havnt had any problems yet.

jshtex
05-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by blasterracer88
im sorry but if yur stock crank went out and you but in another oem crank you shouldnt be aloud to ride a quad. i had mine go out after 3 months of ride and i had a corrilo rod put in and it was blanced to a cp piston and the motor runs so much smoother on top end. i have over 300hrs of practice and racing on my motor and i havnt had any problems yet.

Dude your going to have a bright future around here talking to folks like that..... :rolleyes:

By the way it is CARRILLO not corrilo.

N300exJ
05-28-2007, 08:55 PM
My hot rods crank took a crap after 6 months of riding.

400exrider707
05-29-2007, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by blasterracer88

So what does putting in a carrillo rod have to do with the crank? What crank did you use? Whats wrong with the OEM one? I haven't heard of a single failure of an OEM crank or rod with pistons up to 14:1, its the bearings that dont seem to hold too well.

quadgod440ex
05-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
So what does putting in a carrillo rod have to do with the crank? What crank did you use? Whats wrong with the OEM one? I haven't heard of a single failure of an OEM crank or rod with pistons up to 14:1, its the bearings that dont seem to hold too well.

Exactly