PDA

View Full Version : newbie

jonmcdonald
05-23-2007, 09:59 PM
I just bought a 02 ex and haven't rode any other sport quads before this one. All I had to say was wow... couldn't believe the power out of an aircooled/oil cooled fourstroke.

I am very pleased with the wheeler. So plesased that I am selling the dirtbike (until the kids get old enough to ride thier own)

I would like to add a slip on muffler, k+n filter, open the lid up a bit, and a stage 1 cam.

any advice?

jon

Forest400ex
05-23-2007, 11:07 PM
I have had my stock 03 400ex for about a year now. Just last week I put on a K&N and DynoJet kit. I noticed alot of midrange gain and some top end gain. I did loose some bottom end though. I have heard that chopping the air box lid (or removing it entirely) will fix this. I will soon be changing the exhaust to aftermarket and installing a stage 2 cam.
Good luck with the modding, you will be pleased!

buster024
05-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Filter, pipe, rev box, bars, tires.... SUSPENSION. There's tons to improve before you open up the motor. Mess with the engine last....my two cents.
Good Luck!
:cool:

vett_09
05-24-2007, 07:12 AM
What kind of riding do you do? I would say jet it and pipe it to begin with. The 400ex engine is really restricted by the stock exhaust, so even just a slip on and proper jetting will wake it up. There are SO many things you can mod on a 400ex, but before you go crazy make sure the mods you're doing are fitting your riding style.

Eviltanker
05-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Welcome to the site. You might want to think about doing pipe filter, jets and lid all at once. Also if you are not going to race (just trailride) you don't need $1000 + shocks. A set from a 450R or YFZ 450 will do you good. As for filters it comes down to this, alot of people including me wouldn't recommend a K&N if you are going to ride in real dusty conditions. you might want to look at a foam filter for that. Exhaust: thats up to you and how much you want to spend and what sound you want. Alot of people on here race and therfore believe you have to have all race parts etc. but, You will come across alot of great advice and knowledge hear. Over a little time you will be able to weed out the B.S.ers. Hope this helps and have fun.

jonmcdonald
05-24-2007, 09:21 AM
thanks for all the replys. I will be riding a bunch of logging roads in the mountains here in montana. Elevation 4500 feet and up to 12000 feet. I do encounter a bunch of dust so maybe I will stick with the foam filter with a filter spray on it.

The main reason for getting a fourwheeler was to make it easier to make it a family sport. My dirtbike was nice and I could go everywhere just not with a kid on the front.

I was thinking hmf slip on and stage one to get more torque.
I really do apprieciate all the responses.

jon

Kaleigh
05-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by jonmcdonald
thanks for all the replys. I will be riding a bunch of logging roads in the mountains here in montana. Elevation 4500 feet and up to 12000 feet. I do encounter a bunch of dust so maybe I will stick with the foam filter with a filter spray on it.

The main reason for getting a fourwheeler was to make it easier to make it a family sport. My dirtbike was nice and I could go everywhere just not with a kid on the front.

I was thinking hmf slip on and stage one to get more torque.
I really do apprieciate all the responses.

jon

that would be great for what you're riding.. i got a stage 1 and love the bottom end it puts out.. you might also think about getting a revbox/cdi..

good choice to go with a foam filter.. I have K&N and it lets alot of fine dust through, even if you oil it well.. besides.. foam filters are easier to clean and oil.. UNI makes a good foam filter.. oh and if you're gona run open airbox.. i suggest getting a filter skin.. it will help with twigs and stuff getting stuck in the filter..

I have not tried the hmf exhaust but have heard good things about them.. also heard they are a good price too..

anyways.. hope everything works out for you..