PDA

View Full Version : Submerged.

CRich[814]
05-23-2007, 08:01 PM
not in a good mood, im showering right now then maybe dinner if i can. so ill be back in a little bit, hopefully i get some good replies. but this is the story. 1999 honda recon 250, ran great. submerged above the bars in water for a few seconds, will idle, will not run, stood it up on its rear wheels. cleaned out airbox. its still in the woods. rung the air filter. it will not bump start, it will not even activate if you shift. like i'll shift, and it wont even catch the gear. sometimes it does, but rarely. i need to know what to do. im not worried about it being in the woods at all, just let me know what to do. im like in a really shaky mood. if this is messed up, i might have to sell my bike. this is what i think, new sparkplug (someone please get my the right number so i can stop at auto parts store or dealership right after school and get one) change oil alot (what weight and how many times) and clean out the carb, clean the air filter, and thats about it. im not sure what else it needs. oh yeah, how can you dry out a samsung cell phone? im just like kind of freaking out. by the way, my dads in NC right now on vacation, and he does know i went riding when he's gone, but doesnt know about this. another thing, there is a spacer/seal thing on the rear axle loose, just chillin on the axle. this happened on my 250ex (by this i mean the spacer thing) and i just hit it with a hammer and screwdriver and it stayed. i hope someone can help. should i throw this in the mechanical forum or something?

firefighterjosh
05-23-2007, 08:10 PM
worst thing you could have done is try to start it with the spark plug in it. Pull it home take the spark plug out, take the oil plug out maybe even the exhaulst off and shake the quad around. try to get all the water out you can. Then put cheapy oil in it and start it for a little bit. Then change the oil, do it all over until the oil is clean and not milky.

hope this helps a little

CRich[814]
05-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
hope this helps a little

it does. thats what i planned on doing. ive read before about people doing that. its just the transmission wont get into gear. it will shift, but wont activate.

firefighterjosh
05-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by CRich[814]
it does. thats what i planned on doing. ive read before about people doing that. its just the transmission wont get into gear. it will shift, but wont activate.

its a auto clutch right? Maybe its just so wet it just slips.

CRich[814]
05-23-2007, 08:29 PM
its a auto clutch right? Maybe its just so wet it just slips.

ah good point. i hope your right. and yes its an auto clutch. the 250ex and it are the same machine except for a few minor things.

firefighterjosh
05-23-2007, 08:32 PM
ah good point. i hope your right. and yes its an auto clutch. the 250ex and it are the same machine except for a few minor things.

You musta sucked alot of water lol. Just chage the oil. I suggest just buying a couple gallons of something similar from walmart. Only going to run it for couple mins at a time.

Then after its cleaned out buy the good Hondalube or whatever you run and change it a few times. Just make sure whatever you buy its ok for the cltuch. Like the rotella diesel stuff ppl use.

BTW change the fuel filter and oil filter too

CRich[814]
05-23-2007, 08:38 PM
im going to stop at walmart and buy a large container of oil. then just keep changing it i guess.

BTW change the fuel filter and oil filter too

it doesnt have a oil filter. wheres the fuel filter at?

firefighterjosh
05-23-2007, 08:40 PM

No idea lol. It might not have one except for whats in the tank.

Also change the gas out if it got in there.

CRich[814]
05-23-2007, 08:41 PM
No idea lol. It might not have one except for whats in the tank.

Also change the gas out if it got in there.

pretty sure it doesnt unless its in the tank. it looks like my tomorrow will be fun. im only worried about the tranni.

firefighterjosh
05-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Hopefully its just full of water and slipping. If not change the oil a bunch of times and sit it in the garage and don't touch it. Then blame it on your dad when he goes to take it for a spin.:eek: :devil:

CRich[814]
05-23-2007, 08:45 PM
sit it in the garage and don't touch it. Then blame it on your dad when he goes to take it for a spin.:eek: :devil:

in all seriousness, he wouldnt realize until next winter when its deer season.

firefighterjosh
05-23-2007, 08:51 PM
in all seriousness, he wouldnt realize until next winter when its deer season.

1 more thing lol. Make sure the diffs do not have water too. Otherwise it can rust the gears:scary:

zack221
05-24-2007, 12:08 AM
im going to stop at walmart and buy a large container of oil. then just keep changing it i guess.

I doubt it has a fuel filter unless you put one on it.If it does have one it will be on the fuel line.

bmennen07
05-24-2007, 10:25 AM
well I can help with the cell phone if its not to late. All you gotta do is let is sit for 2 weeks. If u attempted to turn it on at any time u are most likely screwed!! otherwise, after 2 weeks, it should be completely dry and u can try to turn it on. Saved my phone that way!!

mitch91
05-24-2007, 04:06 PM
So how did you make it? All better?

CRich[814]
05-24-2007, 04:13 PM
spent two hours. changed the oil a few times. cleaned the airfilter. it runs perfect now. my friends dad is looking at the rear end tonight. im so happy the tranni is all good. oh yeah, i wrote down on a peice of paper last night "1999 Honda Recon 250cc Four Stroke" and my mom was suppose to get me a sparkplug, but the WOMEN working at advance auto parts gave her four because she said it was a four cylinder haha.

Conman007
05-24-2007, 04:13 PM
why were you going through that water anyway.

Mean250r
05-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Conman007
why were you going through that water anyway.

Maybe cuz its fun as hell lol

bmennen07
05-24-2007, 09:09 PM
damn ur quad must be fast as hell...4 cylinder huh?