PDA

View Full Version : clutch problem

clutch22
05-23-2007, 04:51 PM
last night i changed out my clutch.... went with the 89 update kit and put new plates and HD springs in .... today when i rode it around i can tell that the pressure plate is not squeezing the plates together... has no power, just sorta idles around... we adjusted on the clutch cable, many different combinations of handle adjs. and adjustment on the engine... I've changed clutches on my R before, so i knew what i was doing.. and i also used the clymer manual... and cant figure out what whent wrong.... I hope i dont have to tear into it again

I hope what i just said makes some sense.

eky_250r
05-24-2007, 03:50 AM
well clutch22 have you check your the rod that your clutch cable connects to for wear? on my 86 r when i had the motor put together and i got it home and started it the person that put it together had the rod turned and the rod that goes through the motor was actually pushing out on the pressure plate not allowing my clutches to engage properly. to check it you will have to tear back into it but that maybe your problem. hope this might help you out.

Scott-300ex
05-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Make sure it all works before you put the cover on.

Did you put all the plates and discs in and in the right order and tighten the spring/bolts down to torque?

mfr422
05-25-2007, 02:19 AM
clutch22,
Silly question, but you did change out the pushrod when you installed the update kit? If it's not the right one, the length is wrong and can cause your problem, also leaving the ball bearing in it will do the same thing, just throwing it out there. good luck

clutch22
05-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by mfr422
clutch22,
Silly question, but you did change out the pushrod when you installed the update kit? If it's not the right one, the length is wrong and can cause your problem, also leaving the ball bearing in it will do the same thing, just throwing it out there. good luck

no, i changed everything out, thanks for checkin though

it'll probly be a few days before i check things over on it,... i'm tryin to finish my derby car this weekend.

clutch22
05-25-2007, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by eky_250r
well clutch22 have you check your the rod that your clutch cable connects to for wear? on my 86 r when i had the motor put together and i got it home and started it the person that put it together had the rod turned and the rod that goes through the motor was actually pushing out on the pressure plate not allowing my clutches to engage properly. to check it you will have to tear back into it but that maybe your problem. hope this might help you out.

i dont think that's the problem, when i first put it together the rod was sticken out too far, but i had to wiggle the lever on the outside of the engine and then it went in further.

kiesta00
05-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by mfr422
clutch22,

You sure its a different length? I checked my new 89 one against my 86 and they looked exactly the same length...? I haven't tested my bike yet, but it seems to shift good and the bike stalls when I hold the rear brake and let the clutch out while giving it gas.

clutch22
05-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by kiesta00
You sure its a different length? I checked my new 89 one against my 86 and they looked exactly the same length...? I haven't tested my bike yet, but it seems to shift good and the bike stalls when I hold the rear brake and let the clutch out while giving it gas.

i think the 89 is a little longer cuz you're gettin rid of the little steel ball

86 Quad R
05-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by clutch22
i think the 89 is a little longer cuz you're gettin rid of the little steel ball

86 and 89 are the same. clutch (http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx250r%2086-89/clutch.jpg)

redrooster310r
05-31-2007, 04:43 AM
i over torqued my hinson basket once and it would not allow the plates and fibers to float in the clutch pack when clutch lever is pulled in.... it made a small vibration and an out of balance feel. plus it wanted to move on ots own. hanging up.

clutch22
05-31-2007, 04:15 PM
It was my pressure plate... It broke where it holds one of the springs in. ... and service honda wont do anything about it because it wasn't a "factory malfunction" .. I think it was....

so anyways i guess if any of you guys have a fairly new '89 style pressure plate let me know

86 Quad R
05-31-2007, 04:17 PM
the best thing to do is get another update kit from a local parts supply. i had the very thing happen to my bike just this past week. :mad:

kiesta00
05-31-2007, 06:11 PM
hope that doensn't happen to mine, I'd buy the hinson pressure plate and inner hub but I cant justify spending that much on a clutch.

clutch22
05-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by kiesta00
hope that doensn't happen to mine, I'd buy the hinson pressure plate and inner hub but I cant justify spending that much on a clutch.

same here... ... i'm just wondering if it had anything to do with the HD springs that came with my clutch kit, because they're longer than the stock ones.