PDA

View Full Version : K&N or UNI?

quadriderkfx400
05-23-2007, 02:55 PM
I want to get a new air filter for my kfx and half my friends are telling me K&N and the other half is saying UNI which one should I pick?? Plus do I need to rejet for running my quad with no airbox lid or an outterwear?

Hookrone
05-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by quadriderkfx400
I want to get a new air filter for my kfx and half my friends are telling me K&N and the other half is saying UNI which one should I pick?? Plus do I need to rejet for running my quad with no airbox lid or an outterwear?

I run a K&N. I think I might also get a UNI. UNI seems to filter more. Better suited for dusty conditions. You can't go wrong with either.

And yes you will need to rejet.

honda6490
05-23-2007, 04:55 PM
UNI's are better all around filter more.

drnez
05-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by honda6490
UNI's are better all around filter more.

K&N's flow much better than foam filters, do a little search and I'll bet you'll find the details on it. Running a K&N with outerwear will keep stuff out of your engine, but that doesnt give you excuse to not clean your filter on a regular basis.

90% of the problems people have with K&N filters is due to inadequate cleaning.

K&N's are much easier to clean than foam filters.

A K&N filter will last a lifetime is properly maintained, a foam filter will eventually be unusable.

So tell me again why foam filters are so much better?

05Z400rdr
05-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by drnez
K&N's flow much better than foam filters, do a little search and I'll bet you'll find the details on it. Running a K&N with outerwear will keep stuff out of your engine, but that doesnt give you excuse to not clean your filter on a regular basis.

90% of the problems people have with K&N filters is due to inadequate cleaning.

K&N's are much easier to clean than foam filters.

A K&N filter will last a lifetime is properly maintained, a foam filter will eventually be unusable.

So tell me again why foam filters are so much better?

couldn't have put it any better! :macho

deff a K&N :cool:

holtzer1
05-24-2007, 09:49 PM
K&N all the way

you dont see desert baja trucks with 100k in the engine using FOAM filters...every one of them has a k&n with an outerwear. drag cars...same thing, K&N.
if you want a foam filter...put your stock one in, its the same damn thing as a uni...without the UNI logo.

quadriderkfx400
05-25-2007, 05:52 AM
Thanx a lot everyone for your opinions, I am deffinatly getting the K&N does anyone know the average price of them?

drnez
05-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Usually around $40 plus $10 for the outerwear.

mojavedude
05-26-2007, 08:38 AM
unis are $20 at the most for a 2 stage and there not hard to clean. you can just put them in your clothes washer then spray a little oil on it after. plus unis are easier to install because you can squeeze it and stuff. i just dont trust a filter that i can see light through. unis resist water better than a k&n too. maybe there the same with the outerwears though. and i never saw a foam filter go bad unless you soaked in in a harsh cleaner every time. use dish soap and it will last a life time.

ether way get the pro flow adapter made by prodesign or alba. aluminum is good but albas hard plastic one holds up well for me.

mojavedude
05-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by holtzer1
K&N all the way

you dont see desert baja trucks with 100k in the engine using FOAM filters...every one of them has a k&n with an outerwear. drag cars...same thing, K&N.
if you want a foam filter...put your stock one in, its the same damn thing as a uni...without the UNI logo.

not to be a jerk but i never saw anyone selling foam filters for cars or trucks other than k&n or paper filters. if they did sell foams i would use them in all my cars.

holtzer1
05-30-2007, 11:29 AM
they do make foam filters for cars

http://www.innerauto.com/True_Flow_Brand/

mojavedude
05-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by holtzer1
they do make foam filters for cars

http://www.innerauto.com/True_Flow_Brand/

good point

i guess i didnt really look hard enough for them, but i still never saw them in an auto parts store.

drzoo2
05-30-2007, 07:26 PM
I just got back from Allegheny and one of the dustiest rides I've ever been on. I use a K&N filter with a K&N power lid with a precharger. No precharger on the filter. I specifically looked inside the filter for dirt and debris and the filter was really clean. No need to clean it. The power lid and precharger were nasty. To keep all the dirt going through the power lid I have removed th snorkel and taped the opening closed. For the little bit of airflow I'm missing it keeps all the crap going through two filters. All thumbs up from me!

z

drnez
05-31-2007, 07:19 AM
Yep, I went riding this past weekend up in st helen trails, VERY dusty conditions. I had no outterwear and an open airbox lid. The outside of my filter was COVERED with dirt by the end of the day. So I pulled it off and looked inside... Amazing, completely clean inside. The outside look like someone dumped dirt on it.

z400quad
06-05-2007, 11:05 AM
get uni and run with airbox lid on k&n isnt really much better just cleanin but they dont make a noticable difference get uni.