PDA

View Full Version : Steering problem!?!?!

KEVIN300A
05-23-2007, 01:14 PM
I just bought a 2001 honda 416ex the bike runs fantastic, but the handling is not what I expected it has elkas in the front and elka elite longtravel in the rear suspension feels amazing.... But the steering is an incredible workout, arm pump like crazy, it has a denton 7 way adjustable stabilizer on it set on the softest setting, it turns incredibly hard have to lean like crazy and everyone that rides it says whats up with the hard steering... It also has wheel spacer on the front for the time being which I think may be the problem never liked them much, in the process of getting a-arms. the front is a little more narrow than the rear have a durablue axle also plus one swingarm just wondering if +2 a-arms are going to fix this problem???? thanks for the help

ncsmash
05-23-2007, 01:59 PM
the a a arms should help out alot when you have a wider rear end then front end the back will always want to come around the front i hope you understand its pretty hard to explain

KEVIN300A
05-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Its not that the rear wants to come around its more just harder to turn the handlebars and the front tires never want to stay on the ground when turning!!

400exrider707
05-24-2007, 05:30 AM
Ditch the wheel spacers to start with. Also do you have an aftermarket steering stem? Try lubing the stem bushing. If its an aftermarket unit, sometimes the powdercoat is thick, and you need to space the stem mount with a thin washer on one side. I have seen this happen more than once.

KEVIN300A
05-24-2007, 09:15 AM
I will try that it is a burgard steering stem!! thanks

Dill
05-24-2007, 09:30 AM
I would also make sure the nut isn't binding the bearing on the bottom of the stem.

05-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Tighter the bolts the harder it turns.