PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon 125cc oil pump gear

CEOR
05-23-2007, 09:14 AM
We were out testing last weedend, when the the motor started rolling over. Pyrometered the motor, too late! Seems the (plastic)oil pump drive gear failed, melted, boiled the oil and took the entire motor out.
Top end took the worst of it. Cam, rockers, bearings.
Heat signatures on wrist pin, and piston.

So leads me to believe, gear needs to be replaced with either upgaded material, billet, or higher volume pump system with external ports as well.

Have my kids racing up here in the high desert of So. Cal were its been around 85-95 degrees for the past month.

FUTheman
05-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Have you talked to Xtreme to see if they have a metal gear?

azextreme
05-23-2007, 05:01 PM
toss the motor! get a lifan 120cc monster motor ($400) they are built alot better!!

FUTheman
05-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Is that the engine I see on ebay all the time? What makes them better?

CEOR
05-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Yes, talked to Nathan (tech) yesterday, First he ever herd of problem. So far only replacement is entire oil pump system. He didnt mention anything about a upgraded replecement gear.
Like I said, motor is shot. I will be replacing it with another manufacturers model. But question is which?
Spent most of today searching around local race shops, and ebay.
There are replacements available "cheep". But I'll probally get what I pay for. Need some help here.
So far, what I've found out is....and take it for what its worth.
there are 125cc thru 140cc's with manual clutchs readily available every, some include either a 24mm or 26mm carb and all the electronics and wire harness needed to complete the swap.
Transmission gearing is a different story. Some give you the ratios, some dont have a clue. Some have the same shift pattern as the typhoon, N,1,2,3,4......some..1,N,2,3,4 (herd of problems with these).
Any good tech info, or personal experience with various engine sizes , and manufacturers would be great help.
Please no "opinions", just facts, thanks!
One of most important considerations is horsepower and gearing.
Looking for something close to the factory gearing as the motor that came out. As for horsepower: 14-16HP minimum.

azextreme
05-23-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure if you did motor mods or not but I dyno'ed a stock 125 and it was @ 5.8rwhp 14-16 you are gonna need some major engine mods! and also the stocker with the clutch on the crank is not gonna hold that kind of power! Lifan has the clutch on the main shaft, high vol oil pump, big valve head, several after market parts. I live in Phoenix I have two stock engine sitting around.

FUTheman
05-25-2007, 06:29 AM
I'd like to know a source for the Lifan engines. Do they bolt right up to the frame or do new mounts need to be made?

CEOR
05-25-2007, 07:53 AM
Talked on phone yesterday to a performance shop in Arizona.
There offering a 140cc Lifan. Package comes with kicker & shifter lever, 24mm carb, manifold and filter, cdi box, coil, external oil cooler w/ braided lines.
Also says motor has big valve head, high volume oil pump, 5 plate clutch (manual type). claims: 10hp. Has plenty of aftermarket performance parts for this motor available in stock.
Machine shop and fabrication services.
Price: $400.00
Phone: 720-620-9200

azextreme
05-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Now thats the way to go!!! The motor will bolt up the only thing that is an issue is the stator/chain cover it is a little too long it hits the swing arm. You have to modify it. Get some port work, race cam, inner rotor kit, lighten oil sling, this bike will move!

CEOR
05-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the tech info azextreme, made my decision alot easier! Got the chasis over at Noleen to be fitted with shocks for long travel suspension. Will be racing down at Elsinore on June 3rd.
This new bike may not be ready, but we'll still have another on the track there.

God'sGirl.MQ.20
05-26-2007, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by CEOR
We were out testing last weedend, when the the motor started rolling over. Pyrometered the motor, too late! Seems the (plastic)oil pump drive gear failed, melted, boiled the oil and took the entire motor out.
Top end took the worst of it. Cam, rockers, bearings.
Heat signatures on wrist pin, and piston.

So leads me to believe, gear needs to be replaced with either upgaded material, billet, or higher volume pump system with external ports as well.

Have my kids racing up here in the high desert of So. Cal were its been around 85-95 degrees for the past month.

Did you have a oil cooler that Xtreme offers on the bike when this happened?
We're in Texas. This one of the first things we did to our Daughter's bike. She's running the 140 big bore kit and FMF exhaust on her race bike. We noticed after practice last week , it seemed hotter than usual. It was in the Mid 80's here.

When our Daughter broke her crank, a couple of weeks ago, we started looking into other motors, too. The Lifan is supposed to be a good motor. She can work her Dad's manual clutch but we do not think she is ready for one just yet. Does anyone know if there is a version of the Lifan motor that comes with an auto clutch.

Keep us posted on the Motor build.

azextreme
05-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Yes they are out there! look up hooperimports

CEOR
05-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Two of our race bikes have a four row conventional style oil cooler.
The motor that "cooked", had the factory three row. We had just broke the motor in the week prior. Didnt have more than 12 total hours on it.
Dont really like the billet coolers out there. Just seems to be a heat sink.