PDA

View Full Version : Truck tire info...

Titanium
05-23-2007, 07:54 AM
So i've decided that my Winston A/T's are not quite cuttin it. They do alrite im just lookin for a little bit more meaty of a tire. Why i say i need more meaty of a tire is because my truck has turned more and more into a farm truck and the tires i have on it now just seem to sink in the sand real bad. Most of the stuff i have to drive through is really bad sugar sand and a fair amount of mud. I know i need a wider tire to go the the sand better and i have heard the same about going thru mud(:confused: ). What tire would you guys suggest? I was thinkin 30in BFgoodrich all-terrain tires. Then i was thinkin about some baja claws but im not sure how well they would do in mud. So could i get some help please? thanx in advance. By the Way i have a 1990 Ford F-150.

400exrider707
05-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Baja claws are an awesome tire. My buddy has a set on his 04 f-150 fx4. They are 33x12.5x17, and they are a very good mud tire. I run a set of 31x10.5x15 mud king radials on my ranger and have been very pleased with them for a relatively inexpensive tire. The baja claws are not all that great on the pavement, but it is also a 12.5 wide tire. My Mud kings have held up great to lots of highway driving and still are a very good mud tire. BFG all terrains are a great tire, but if you do hit the mud often, I would get something more agressive. I am also very fond of the Wrangler MT/R's, but the price tag that comes with them, I am not fond of. Are you looking for an A/T or a M/T?

Titanium
05-23-2007, 08:25 AM
probably an A/T because i have some highway miles.

Titanium
05-23-2007, 08:29 AM
im pretty interested in the Baja Claws. i want a little bit wider tires than what i have now but would they do alright on the highway?

sideways
05-23-2007, 08:32 AM
best tire i ever owned for mud and sand is the yokohoma geolander m/t. (same tread design as the baja claw) about 130 a tire, and not that great on the highway (loud and wear fast, i got about 33000 miles on mine) right now i have bfgoodrich a/t's. 31 10.5 r15, cost about 104 per tire. they are great on the road and in the woods. sand is no problem, but heavy thick mud gums them up into slicks. high wheel speed is a must in mud. general tire co makes a m/t thats inexpensive and great all around off road. but you sacrifice on the highway.

any m/t you get isnt gonna be that great on the highway, they are designed for mud and offroad. a/t's are designed for road handling and offroad capability, therefore sacrifice in the offraod department to be a better road tire.
hope that helps

400exrider707
05-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Titanium
im pretty interested in the Baja Claws. i want a little bit wider tires than what i have now but would they do alright on the highway?

My buddy has the claw radials which handle ok, but they are LOUD and they wear terribly fast, though he drives like an idiot too so that doesn't help, but offroad you cant beat them. I do a TON of higway driving, like close to 400 miles a week, and I've got about 20,000 miles on my mud king radials and they still have decent amount of tread left, I would say somewhere in the 65%-75% range, and they still work awesome offroad, especially on my lighter truck. I paid something like $130 a piece per tire, but my local tire shop is ridiculous with prices, I think the BFG A/T were $180 a tire there to give a reference. I would buy these mud kings again in a heart beat.

05-23-2007, 08:50 AM
I run Cooper STT's on my truck and love them. They rip in the mud, and I have 40K + on them right now. Still have a little life left, but I will be replacing them soon. I am planning on getting another set.

underpowered
05-23-2007, 08:57 AM
well the baja claw is a great tire, but like others have said they wear fast. the geolander is less agressive than teh baja claw, but an OK tire. nto that great in mud, as they clog up easily.

teh BFG all terrains are by far the WORST tire i have ever owned. sucked on wet pavement, and were horrible off road. i would not own another set if they were give to me.

my fav. tire is the Multi Mile wild country. it is a great tire, can get decent milege for a mud tire, about 35K + miles usually. however, fords are know to wear front tires like no other. the wild country's were great off road, and had good road manners as well. priced right as well, i paid 130 ea. for 33x12.5-15

currently on my 03 silverado i run Maxxis big horns. price is great at 141 a tire for 285/75-16 (33x11.5-16) so far they seem great off road, but the road manners are a bit sketchy. no idea on mileage yet, only been on the truck for about a week.

parkers30
05-23-2007, 09:12 AM
I think we have had about the opposite experience with Baja Claws, either that or you guys have never ran real off road tires on a truck.

For being a good offroad tire they have good wear. A friends Grand Cherokee have 30 ish on a set that still over 60% and a friend with a 2 door tahoe has over 50 I beleve on his. While they are a little noisy in the city the queit down on the highway so long as they have worn decently evenly.

FAR quieter than and of the swamper models or Boggers ever could be.

Titanium
05-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Im not real worried about tread wear because i maybe make 2 or 3 40 mile trips at the most in 1 month on the highway. Everything else is just driving on dirt roads/service roads and through fields and such. i do a little bit of driving around in town with this truck mainly when it rains or bad weather is around our town such as flooded streets and such. Im leaning really hard towards a pair of Mickey Thompsons or the Baja Claws what do you guys think? Also if i want a wider tire do i need to get a different set of rims?

54warrior
05-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Titanium
Also if i want a wider tire do i need to get a different set of rims?

What size of tire are you going to be running and what is the current size rim that you have???

My own exp. with a set of Baja Claw Radials is that they will get you out of just about anything, but don't expect them to last a long time. I got about 20k on a set of 31x10.50-15's I had on a ZR2 S10. Looks like I"m gonna get around 25k out of a pair of 35x12.50-17 ProComp M/T's on my Titan. Alot of highway driving (75%+) was done on both tire types though.

Get the Mickey's you wont be disappointed.

Side note: my next set will be Cooper Discoverer S/T I got 40K+ out of two previous sets, and they are less expensive and IMHO, better than the BFG AT KO..