PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Mac Users!!

ShiftFMX
05-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a Mac book. I have used windows for quite a while now and have gotten very used to it, and learned a lot of tips a tricks. My girlfriend got a Mac Book for Christmas and I have used it quite a bit lately, I am really starting to like it. I know the main disadvantage of mac is the Software availability, but I like the fact that you cant write virus' on them. As far as features of OS X, how does it compare to say, XP?? and what are your thoughts on the Macs? Once you get to know them is it really easy to use like windows??

Scottt89
05-22-2007, 10:51 PM
My buddy is a graphic designer, he swears by Mac's. I use his here and there. I love it. They are actually easier then Microsoft products. I think the run a lot more smooth and are easier on the eye. If I was to get a lap top, a Mac would be my choice. As for the software, they make Microsoft Office for Mac, what more do you need? I guess if you are a gamer then you might be worried about the programs. I like the layout of Safari(web browser) as well. Good luck with your decision!

Ralph
05-23-2007, 02:40 AM
Macs are great i guess. Software can be kinda hard to come by but they are bridging the gap more and more every day.

The thing about virus' is that OS X is actualy more vulnerable to attacks then Vista but no one really wants to make a mac virus because there are not nearly as many macs out there as pc's.

Before i would switch to a mac i would go to linux. Linux is making big advances and it will even be availiable on some dells soon.

With linux EVERYTHING is free. So u give up the software compatability for a fully free and amazing user enviorment even OS X cant match.

Short example of what linux can do.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KPVEAwvZHck

Only downside is that as of right now is that using it can get a bit more complicated.

MOFO
05-23-2007, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
but I like the fact that you cant write virus' on them.

Nope - MAC's can and do have virus's.

Titanium
05-23-2007, 08:11 AM
I have been using mac laptops for 5 years now and have noticed quite a few problems. Macs seem to have a problem with there track pads. the track pads will just quit for no reason, the LCD screens have serious problems from being opened and close(causes your screen to flicker and eventually never back light itself), the logic boards seem to be junk seeing that almost everybody in our school that uses a mac lap top has had there's replaced, they don't seem to have as much logic board issues with this years new models. Otherwise i like Mac OS X. there's quite a bit of software out for it now and if you do alot of computer design and such i would stick with the mac. hardware wise i would stick with a pc but i am not biased to Windows or Mac OS X because they both have there ups and downs.

NorCalRacer
05-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Macintosh is a joke. I am surprised they are in business. With their software issues they barely even cut it, and you can NEVER upgrade without buying all of your software again. Money pits if you ask me. At least a Windows operating system can take an upgrade to run a program and not make all the other software on the computer useless, something years ahead of mac:blah:

250Renvy
05-23-2007, 09:21 AM
I see the flaming as already begun.

There are many this vs that discussions and this is one.

I've always used a MAC for video editing and currently have an ibook.

For the most part I like it better than the PC and the virus/spyware thing is no longer an issue. (Not because you can't write a virus for a mac but because people don't bother)

It's very easy to use. The new MAC's can run windows if you want so that shouldn't stop you. Price is the only thing as they are more expensive.

Depending on what you want to do, I'd say get one. I am going to upgrade to the Intel chip Mac's once the come out with HD DVD/Blue-ray burners in them.

NorCalRacer
05-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
I see the flaming as already begun.

There are many this vs that discussions and this is one.

I've always used a MAC for video editing and currently have an ibook.

For the most part I like it better than the PC and the virus/spyware thing is no longer an issue. (Not because you can't write a virus for a mac but because people don't bother)

It's very easy to use. The new MAC's can run windows if you want so that shouldn't stop you. Price is the only thing as they are more expensive.

Depending on what you want to do, I'd say get one. I am going to upgrade to the Intel chip Mac's once the come out with HD DVD/Blue-ray burners in them.

Not meaning to flame, trying to keep someone from having the same experience as I and several of my friends have had. If you get a Mac, make sure every piece of software you're ever going to need is on it.

250ex13
05-23-2007, 01:10 PM
How do I get Linux? or Where? lol

trxwannbe
05-23-2007, 01:20 PM
i just got a mac a few weeks ago(brand new) and so far i love it its 10 million times better then the hp notebook i had the screen is awesome the basic programs that come with os x are pretty sweet for video and photo stuff (as far as basic not compared to photoshop and what not) i would reccomend this computer to anybody who is thinking about getting one..oh and the web browser is sweet to way better then my pos msn on my desktop