PDA

View Full Version : Engine won't Rev?

zeus3313
05-22-2007, 06:04 PM
I Just purchased a 2004 Raptor that was sitting for a long time. I never heard it run before I bought it (bad idea). I Knew that before I could start it I would have to at least change the oil and clean out the carbs. I opened the bowls and they were badly shellaced (green film) so I cleaned them out with carb cleaner. I took all the jets out and sprayed all the passages. Reassembled the carbs, cleaned the air filter(K&N), drained the gas tank and used dielectric grease in all electrical connections. It looks like the back half of the quad may have been in the weather because of a leaky roof where it was stored. I started the quad, then finding out that the starter clutch is probably bad due to noises and the starter periodically freewhelling. I was in neutral , it was backfiring a little when reved out(up top), but not that bad. I decided to take it out around the block. Down low it was an animal, as soon as about mid-range would hit it would almost shut down. I would pull in the clutch as soon as the revs came down i could hit the gas again. I could go through the gears as long as I didn't rev it out. When I got back I noticed a couple drips of gas coming out of one of the overflows nothing major.

I don't know much about the history of the quad, so i dont know what if any engine mods were done. It has a ton of bolt-ons

Any suggestions?

honda6490
05-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Main jet partially clogged??

zeus3313
05-23-2007, 09:16 AM
I checked that, it is clear.

joshyz125
05-23-2007, 09:50 AM
i know you said you sprayed the carb out, but take a piece of 16 gauge automotive wire, Strip the insulation off, Take on of the copper pieces, and run it through the jets.

pro-rider46
05-25-2007, 09:28 AM
you might have a bad stator but take seafoam and run it through the carb.

jlraska
05-25-2007, 10:10 AM
raptors are know for p/b and reverse sensor problems. there are ways to override/ground sensors

quadsportLT230
05-25-2007, 06:53 PM
i dont no if this will help but my buddy has an 01 with the baffle removed and after a couple hours of riding it would back fire real bad every time he hit high rpms he has not fixed it yet but said it may have something to do with the spark arestor??