PDA

View Full Version : gaskit maker?? any one?

bigmikey119
05-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Do you use gaskit maker on the head gaskit? should I and why?

Thanks

tim colston
05-22-2007, 02:31 PM
No just buy a head gasket. Not worth the risk

bigmikey119
05-22-2007, 02:35 PM
I mean with the head gaskit? useing both? my buddys rappy was rebuilt buy a shop they used it, now I am to that point and thinking mabe I should put some on?

tim colston
05-22-2007, 02:37 PM
All the head gaskets I have replaced, I have never used anything else. Theoretically (sp) you shouldn't have to use anything but the head gasket itself.

Maybe someone else with chime in.

Ruby Soho
05-22-2007, 02:49 PM
get a headgasket. i used gasket maker on the valve cover and it works fine

TYayo420
05-22-2007, 03:29 PM
for the few bucks the real things are, i wouldnt risk it either.

400exrider707
05-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Gasket maker might work on the valve cover, but no way is it going to work on the head of a 400ex. There is too much heat and compression for it to hold. It wont even hold up on a crack on an exhaust for it. Some people use it instead of the base gasket to gain more compression, seems a little silly to me. I would invest in a cometic thin gasket personally for $20. A head gasket is not an area to cheap out on. Anyone who has had to replace a few cheap ones in their day will understand.

Barrymaxx
05-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
get a headgasket. i used gasket maker on the valve cover and it works fine

* NOt reccomended*

The metal gasket is used for a reason. To maintain the proper clearences with the rockers and cam and valves.

So make sure to re-adjust your valves after you remove your old gasket and put gasket maker on. Gasketmaker is ALOT thinner.

tim colston
05-23-2007, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Gasket maker might work on the valve cover, but no way is it going to work on the head of a 400ex. There is too much heat and compression for it to hold. It wont even hold up on a crack on an exhaust for it. Some people use it instead of the base gasket to gain more compression, seems a little silly to me. I would invest in a cometic thin gasket personally for $20. A head gasket is not an area to cheap out on. Anyone who has had to replace a few cheap ones in their day will understand.

Once again. Well said.