PDA

View Full Version : Banshee racers

Mxjunkie
05-22-2007, 05:17 AM
I did a couple races on my banshee here recently and it wore me out trying to keep up with the thumpers mainly because they pick one gear and stick with it.. I'm not going to buy a thumper mainly because I cant afford it lol..

Does anyone have some tips and tricks they've tryed in the past that have worked well for them? I'm going to be doing the PA state harescramble series but some of the tracks have some motorcross sections so both set up ideas will work :)

Also, 1-2 hour races is anyone having trouble with gas?

Washburn
05-22-2007, 09:22 AM
A Scoots steering stabilizer. TRUST ME! I cant state how much they will help out in the rough arm pump sections. Theyre like 450.00 but its well worth it. Im guessing you already have Wider A Arms +1 forward and good shocks Like Elkas. -1 on the swingarm helps for traction and better cornering.

As for smooth power I recomend some PT Mids a 2:1 Carb VF3s and alot of compression for better lowend. 20 or 19cc domes and +4 timing advance. If your crank is welded go with 18cc domes and a 7 degree advance!!! With straight 110 octane. Also go to 20" rears for more lowend/Mid. Razr 2s. Meaty and they get you out of ruts and pull nice when your in them.

Also take a bar and a long piece of string attach a ten pound weight to it and roll it up and down with your forearms. Do alot of practice in rutted out trails.Take the first few gears and groul yourself slowly through the tough **** for a week to gain strength then start hitting it faster and faster Keep hitting corners untill you think you are hitting them as fast as you possibly can.

If you are setup correctly and you know your bike you should have no problem passing up those pesky 450s.

Im setting up my Banshee for the AWRCS next year. Im alot bigger and I have years of practice. Though Ive only had the Banshee for a year I can really throw it around but its not for alot of people. You have to decide.

Mxjunkie
05-22-2007, 03:25 PM
I have a .40 over 4mill crank motor right now, I just didnt know what people were running for stabilzers and such on them, thanks for the advice!

Now I do have one question, with the -1 swingarm does it lift the front end out of corners because with stock length now I can barley keep the front end down in corners, strights etc

Rough stuff isn't hard to find where I live :blah:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XY_ZN7uFBfQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XY_ZN7uFBfQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

banshee84
05-22-2007, 04:38 PM
man I am runing a -2" swinger and I can't get my front end up at all out of coners, but it is really really dry and hard packed here. I would deffinitly recomend a -2" swinger but I don;t have the motor you have either. It will make the bike handle 100 times better than stock. I think you should atleast try a -1".

TWILES
05-22-2007, 05:11 PM
ZPS shocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They will help keep the tires on the ground. +2 +1 front-end is a must on a Banshee. You wouldn't believe the difference it makes. You won't need an axle with aftermarket wheels. I don't know about a -2 swingarm. I had a -1 and I wouldn't want it any shorter.

Mxjunkie
05-22-2007, 05:37 PM
I have a lsr +4 axle, 3/2 offset fronts, yfz front shocks and basically everything else you see, I'm not sure if I could run +2 a-arms because I rub tree's as it is now :p

I did go with the razr2 front tire but I haven't been able to get out and ride with them yet. Also dropped the front tooth one and it's a lot better to ride now in the woods. The main concern I have right now is a set of shocks. The yfz's are much better then the stockers but they arent exactly the best thing out there in rocky sections! I really dont have MUCH money to spend so I can't go out and buy a set of brand new elkas. I belive for woods riding I could get away with a set of works tripple rates or something along those lines (used)

Now when you guy's are saying -1, -2 swing arm are you talking about an aftermarket or making the stocker shorter.

firefighterjosh
05-22-2007, 06:57 PM
All I can say is run it like it is and save for a thumper lol. I had my banshee set up for XC and I did alright, but when I got my thumper it was night and day how much faster I could go.

I always ran 2nd or 3rd gear in the woods. I would just slip the clutch alot so it wouldn't die when going slower speeds.

banshee84
05-22-2007, 09:59 PM
now that wont be any fun!

I have never rode any of the new 450s but some of the guys with banshees say they aren't as fun to ride.

I guess they are so good it is too easy to ride them :D

If you have fun on your banshee right now keep it!

I know you said you don't have a whole lot of money but you should get some +2+1 a-arms and run 4+1 rims which will take 2" off of the front. The +1" forward on the a-arms makes the banshee handle really really good. You won;t have to fight it in the corners as much and it will save you some energy.

As far as the shortened swingarm goes I just have a chopped stock one but you can buy an aftermarket one. I have seen some offbrand ones for $200. I picked up mine used for $130
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g137/broncogurl351/Other%20Quad%20Riding%20Pics/100_4159.jpg

I still have my stock one that I can sell to you really cheap so you can have some one chop it and try it out. If you don;t like it you can always put your stock one back on, but I highly recommend atleast a -1"

Mxjunkie
05-23-2007, 05:14 AM
I'll rip my swing arm off and see what I can do with it, I actually dont mind the banshee in the woods it just wears you out so fast because they require quite a bit of work in mud, with a barnett clutch with the hd springs it can be a bit of a pain in the *** lol.. I have no problem sliding it around tree's and rocks, the wheel spin they have make's it rather nice in tight sections.

banshee84
05-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
I'll rip my swing arm off and see what I can do with it, I actually dont mind the banshee in the woods it just wears you out so fast because they require quite a bit of work in mud, with a barnett clutch with the hd springs it can be a bit of a pain in the *** lol.. I have no problem sliding it around tree's and rocks, the wheel spin they have make's it rather nice in tight sections.

you mean you are gonna chop your stock one?

loboboy
05-23-2007, 10:55 AM
with the stroker engine I would suggest going up in gearing. maybe 15-39 or 15-38. this way you can leave it in 2nd or 3rd depending on the track and leave it there. Also stay with the smaller carbs, either the stock ones or the PWK 28MM. This way it will have enough torque to pull the gear out of the corners but it also has plenty of overrev for the longer staights.

Also go with a scotts or Elka Damper and that will help alot.

Washburn
12-09-2007, 03:28 AM
Any News? Im close to done with my SHEE. Elka Elites all around with Elkas new LT Linkage. LSR +2+1 Racing A Arms. 20cc domes +4 timing advance trinity 2:1 intake with a 35PWK VF3s and a ton of other stuff!