PDA

View Full Version : '07 R....Veteran rider with newbe tech questions for those with experienced

EndlessRoost
05-22-2007, 02:38 AM
whats up everyone, im new to the site and got a few questions. ive been a die hard 2stroke guy since i got my first 3wheeler when i was 5yrs old, im 29 now and only owned two 4strokes up untill my '02 YFZ450 dirtbike, and both of those were back when 4strokes stood ZERO chance against the 2strokes. So im not really up to par quite yet with my stroker and have a newbe question for you's. Ok i just picked up my '07 450R about 2 weeks ago, as soon as i got it home i immediately took off the lid and baffle and got nothing but bog, so i put the lid back on and it ran 100% better but still has bog at 3/4 to WOT. the harder/hotter i push the engine the less throttle it takes untill i get bog, plus im popping on decel. the plug looks good, possibly a little light. So im thinking its gotta be lean. So my questions are.....will just no baffle cause these things not to run right? does this sound lean to you? what does it need to run with the lid off also? and, do u think just the fuel screw would fix this condition since its only a baffle and lid? rejet? OK theres my first post, i appreciate all responses. Thanks -J

05-22-2007, 03:38 AM
the 450r comes a little lean in stock form to meet emissions. so, yes, removing the baffle will lean it up even more

MX450
05-22-2007, 07:27 AM
yea i would throw the baffle back in or put some differnet jets in

400exrider707
05-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Definitely lose the lid and the baffle and do a rejet. Just taking the lid off makes a big difference in how the machine performs. Talk to Colby@C&Dracing on here. Send him a PM or go to the C&D racing section and post, he is a whiz with these motors/carbs. I'm not too familiar with the 06/07 models (different carbs) so I wont tell what is close to right or not, but I would definitely look into rejetting.;)

450rJam
05-22-2007, 04:32 PM
unless you plan on pushing it over 50 hp I suggest buying the hrc kit, its cheap and you will swear its not the same quad.

mrnate400ex
05-22-2007, 08:32 PM
you would probably benefit from installing the hrc jet kit if you want to do it right. that should probably put you pretty close on jetting. i have a full dasa exhaust and a k&n with no lid and i run a 175 main jet. the hrc main is a 162. it also comes with a new needle that is adjustable for when you do make other modifications.

honduh440
05-22-2007, 08:42 PM
yeah the hondas are really bottled up stock... honestly i wouldnt do the hrc i would just get a pipe and rejet.. it will have a ton of thump to it...... the stock jet i belive is a 117 or 118 and after u slap a pipe on it and take the air box lid off u will be around a 175 or 180 jet

400exrider707
05-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by honduh440
yeah the hondas are really bottled up stock... honestly i wouldnt do the hrc i would just get a pipe and rejet.. it will have a ton of thump to it...... the stock jet i belive is a 117 or 118 and after u slap a pipe on it and take the air box lid off u will be around a 175 or 180 jet \

why would you suggest to not do the HRC?

GIXXER1KR
05-22-2007, 10:32 PM
HRC kit all the way!!!Best bang for the buck...Then add a nice slip on and it will be very reliable and wake right up!!!!!!!!!!;)

Lonestar_R
05-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Stock Main Jet in an 06-07 is a 120. with no airbox lid and a exhaust I would say its going to be around a 162...I have a Rossier and no lid and I'm a little lean at a 160. Also you will still have a bog until you change your leak jet. Stock leak jet is 70. You will need at least a 42. That is what I run and it got rid of all the right off of idle bog. Don't buy the Boyseen Quick Shot they are a waste of 80 to 90 bucks when you can fix the problem with a 4 to 6 dollar leak jet.

450rJam
05-23-2007, 03:40 PM
the hrc kit comes with a 162/55 jets (fixed my bog)
it also has the hrc cam (great power for the 06/07)
the harness adapt. (+1000 rpm)
hrc needle (nice)
and the hrc header

you can get it all for less than a full exhaust system, whats not to love ? (and it wont void the warranty)

unless your going to shoot for over 50 hp (would prob. need to change cam/port head/jet etc.)

unless your going to race, the hrc 06/07 is more power than most can use during play time.

CHEVYZ
05-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
the hrc kit comes with a 162/55 jets (fixed my bog)
it also has the hrc cam (great power for the 06/07)
the harness adapt. (+1000 rpm)
hrc needle (nice)
and the hrc header

you can get it all for less than a full exhaust system, whats not to love ? (and it wont void the warranty)

unless your going to shoot for over 50 hp (would prob. need to change cam/port head/jet etc.)

unless your going to race, the hrc 06/07 is more power than most can use during play time. I agree with all of that...not to mention that an HRC equiped bike will not only kill a piped 450r, but also run better, too! Dish out the $300 and enjoy....best thing I have done for any of my bikes yet!

desratt
05-25-2007, 07:20 PM
also comes with the airbox plug

mxrider611
05-26-2007, 06:02 PM
i have an 06' and a did the same thing to my quad, i used a 165 main jet and a HMF needle on the fourth clip from the top. has alot more bottom end then before, its a good cheap mod if u cant afford a pipe

EndlessRoost
05-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the replies. i have an update, i had an aftermarket fuel screw laying around so i threw that in and richened it up a little bit. all my bog/cutting out at high rpms has pretty much disappeared but im still concerned because i thought the fuel screw mainly affected the lower throttle range(0-1/4) not the higher rpm(1/4 - wot)? do you think adjusting the fuel screw may have cured my problem or could i still be running to lean just not getting any bog/cut out at high rpms? Thanks -J

coltjester
05-28-2007, 08:42 AM
You guys that have the HRC kit installed, did you do it yourselves? Any instalation instructions come with it? Any special tools needed? Thanks!

450rJam
05-28-2007, 04:39 PM
I had the stealership do mine but it does come with instruction book and I think you get one tool with it (I didnt get that)

I did all my negotiations at time of purchase to include the kit

EndlessRoost
05-31-2007, 12:44 AM
Cmon guys everyone was real quick getting back to me with replies in the beginning, what happened.......i know its not the most interesting question in the world but maybe someone can ease my mind on the 2nd question i posted

CHEVYZ
05-31-2007, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by EndlessRoost
Hey guys thanks for all the replies. i have an update, i had an aftermarket fuel screw laying around so i threw that in and richened it up a little bit. all my bog/cutting out at high rpms has pretty much disappeared but im still concerned because i thought the fuel screw mainly affected the lower throttle range(0-1/4) not the higher rpm(1/4 - wot)? do you think adjusting the fuel screw may have cured my problem or could i still be running to lean just not getting any bog/cut out at high rpms? Thanks -J If it is running good I wouldn't worry about any of it. If it is too lean, the bike will cut out at WOT, if it isn't doing that, I honestly wouldn't worry about it-close enough!

CHEVYZ
05-31-2007, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by coltjester
You guys that have the HRC kit installed, did you do it yourselves? Any instalation instructions come with it? Any special tools needed? Thanks! I have done 3 by myself, very easy and no problems. It comes with all the instructions, and is very simple, really. You don't need any special tools, but I had to grind down a screwdriver so that it was long, but relatively small at the end so that I could use it for my cam chain tensioner.

coltjester
05-31-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
I have done 3 by myself, very easy and no problems. It comes with all the instructions, and is very simple, really. You don't need any special tools, but I had to grind down a screwdriver so that it was long, but relatively small at the end so that I could use it for my cam chain tensioner.

Cool thanks, we'll give it a shot.

EndlessRoost
06-01-2007, 04:26 AM
highjacked!