PDA

View Full Version : Raptor won't rev in gear

zeus3313
05-21-2007, 06:46 PM
I Just purchased a 2004 Raptor that was sitting for a long time. I never heard it run before I bought it (bad idea). I Knew that before I could start it I would have to at least change the oil and clean out the carbs. I opened the bowls and they were badly shellaced (green film) so I cleaned them out with carb cleaner. I took all the jets out and sprayed all the passages. Reassembled the carbs, cleaned the air filter(K&N), drained the gas tank and used dielectric grease in all electrical connections. It looks like the back half of the quad may have been in the weather because of a leaky roof where it was stored. I started the quad, then finding out that the starter clutch is probably bad due to noises and the starter periodically freewhelling. I was in neutral , it was backfiring a little when reved out(up top), but not that bad. I decided to take it out around the block. Down low it was an animal, as soon as about mid-range would hit it would almost shut down. I would pull in the clutch as soon as the revs came down i could hit the gas again. I could go through the gears as long as I didn't rev it out. When I got back I noticed a couple drips of gas coming out of one of the overflows nothing major.

I don't know much about the history of the quad, so i dont know what if any engine mods were done. It has a ton of bolt-ons

Any suggestions?

QuadManiac
05-26-2007, 02:28 AM
Check to make sure that both float valves are working properly. Sounds like you may be running way rich due to a float chamber overfill. Use the 'clear tube' method to check float adjustment. If it's not in this forum, you can find it at:

http://www.bluetraxx.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=50521&sid=341d5d4b5e4165c1ca1d10e1444b4367

Also check to make sure that your choke plunger is free to move in and out when you move the lever. Being left outside often causes this to corrode in place and stick.

Good luck!