PDA

View Full Version : stripped shaft (2nd try)

450raider
05-21-2007, 04:09 PM
i posted this once but it didnt seem to come out so now, my brother stipped the shaft and front sprocket on my R and when we took it to the dealer/shop today (while my brother was aquiring his new '07 R) guy in the shop said that honda may cover it although the R isnt under warranty so assuming its not, can someone whos done this tell me about how long it took and about how much it was im guessing the labor will be a bill on its own.

thanks

pro-rider46
05-21-2007, 06:30 PM
i havent done that but i think it will be 400 or something for labor because you totally tear the thing apart.

try an oem parts finder for the parts. plus it might be a couple of days, but it is not like your going riding anyways.

Flyin-Low
05-21-2007, 09:17 PM
It's not a difficult task, but it does require splitting the cases to get it out... Fair bit of work involved, not suggested to do on your own if your not very mechanically inclined.

-Martin

450raider
05-22-2007, 02:40 PM
naw i wasnt gonna wrench on it at home but i was just unclear as to if the shop guys really had to take the case apart or if there was some kind of shop tool that can let them pull it out and put a new one in, thats all

Chino886
05-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by 450raider
naw i wasnt gonna wrench on it at home but i was just unclear as to if the shop guys really had to take the case apart or if there was some kind of shop tool that can let them pull it out and put a new one in, thats all

Cases need to be split unless they can tap it and install new threads in it<------------good possiblity is helicoil!

450raider
06-04-2007, 02:47 PM
well i got the call today and honda has managed to screw me again............$700 bucks to fix it with no warranty so now ive got to sale an R for what i can and just pull 700 bucks out of my magic hat to pretty much give away.........oh well, thats life i guess :D

lesson: dont strip your shaft!! check your front sprocket every now and then (and pay attention to detail on it cause sometimes itll go without warning, i would know)

jshtex
06-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Not to be a jerk, but I never in a million years thought Honda would (or even should) warranty that. IF they did then you would have been one lucky son of a gun. It wasn't a defect in materials or workmanship.

I would try taking it to a local (non factory) shop that might have lower labor rates and see if you can get a deal. Or you could sell it, it is your money.

QuadRacer18
06-04-2007, 04:11 PM
similar thing happened to me on my old 250r. Just place the sprocket on and weld it to the shaft... when you need a new sprocket, grind off the weld, put a new sprocket on and weld it again.... works better than forking out $700 IMO.

450raider
06-04-2007, 04:59 PM
jshtex i totally see where your coming from, as said in the first post i didnt think it would be covered but the guy at the dealer said that honda just may cover it because those shafts and i quote "those shafts should not just strip like that" but in the meantime i guess ill try to get ahold of the local dealers and see what they say.

06-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Bring it to a machine shop and have the them put a heli-coil in it.

Rulz
06-05-2007, 06:40 AM
Just drill/tap it out to the next thread size!
If I recall, there is alot of extra material on that shaft to begin with.

Chino886
06-05-2007, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
Bring it to a machine shop and have the them put a heli-coil in it.

Yeah I made that suggestion earlier in the thread, I guess the $30 to do that did not sound as good as $700! :p

450raider
06-05-2007, 12:44 PM
well i never responded about this "heli coil" because i dont even know what that is so, what exactly is it? and would it really fix it or just be a quick fix?

chris46250r
06-05-2007, 01:13 PM
well i never responded about this "heli coil" because i dont even know what that is so, what exactly is it? and would it really fix it or just be a quick fix?

If done correctly its as strong as the original threads.

06-05-2007, 08:26 PM

A heli-coil is a thread insert. You drill the hole in the countershaft oversized. Then you tap it with the tap that comes with the heli-coil kit. It comes with a tool to install the inserts. You install the thread insert and it is fixed, back to the original size.

Rich250RRacer
06-05-2007, 10:06 PM
I may be reading this wrong but he said he stripped the shaft and the sprocket. Did this thing actually tear the splines off of the counter shaft? If so, a heli-coil definitely won't fix that.