PDA

View Full Version : Koontz Mega Series "Kelly Mountain" ~Youth Report

Pappy
05-21-2007, 02:15 PM
The Koontz Series is one of the oldest and largest supporters of Youth XC ATV racing on the east coast, and in years past support has been excellent from riders and parents looking for a place to compete. Youth quad entries have dwindled the past 2 years as many that once called this series home have moved onto running the GNCC series and thanks to the ever increasing cost of fuel and the money required to run in the National circuits aboard highly modified mini's, this series has taken a blow.

The facts not withstanding, Paul Koontz continues to offer one of the best run mini atv programs in the country, with courses that put enough of a test on new riders, and great practice for those competing on the national scene. I am turning over the youth coverage to my son for a first hand report on the race and I encourage everyone to take a look at this series wether you need a tune up race or want to get your child involved in the sport! www.koontzadventures.com

Youth ATV Gallery (http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thumbpage.aspx?e=2903698)

Codeman
05-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Needing some serious seat time, the Koontz Series offered us the chance to get my new race quad dialed in at the latest round held at the "Kelly Mountain" facility. Only 10 Youth atv racers were on the line split into three class.

I had raced this track before and was pretty confident it would offer us the chance to work some bugs out of my ride, and allow me to compete with a few other riders that I race with in the GNCC series.

At the start, I was planning to try and hook up with Kyle Riley as he was getting his new engine set up. Kyle is one fast rider and we love racing with each other. His Cobra was fast before, so just the thought of trying to keep up was going to be tough.

The green flag waved and we were off! We entered the woods with Riley in the lead, Canaan Summerfield and then myself, followed by Ryan Ratliff and Logan Waugaman.

Codeman
05-21-2007, 02:26 PM
15 seconds later, the second row was started

Codeman
05-21-2007, 02:29 PM
As the first lap was almost completed, Kyle Riley burst into the field, holding a commanding lead.

Codeman
05-21-2007, 02:33 PM
A few moments later, Cannan Summerfield and I were battling each other to catch up to Riley, as Ratliff and Waugaman give chase.

Codeman
05-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Upon hitting a large mud puddle, Ratliff closed the gap and a heated battle began to unfold between us. Now trying to hold him off and not being able to hang on to my quad was not all that fun, but that is racing!

Codeman
05-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Since I do not have bark busters yet, I was covered in mud! When I realized who was behind me, I put on a charge. However, this charge cost me a position because I hit a tree and couldn't hold onto the quad!

Meanwhile, Kyle Riley was on fire!!! The new changes made to their Cobra were working quite well.

Codeman
05-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Canan was putting on a hard charge, but it just wasn't enough to catch Kyle on the Cobra.

Codeman
05-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Here, 90cc Stock racer Chase Alkire gives chase to Michael Mussi.

Codeman
05-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Devin Masters is an up and coming rider in the Koontz series, and is not doing a bad job racing!

Codeman
05-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Kyle was a man on a mission today and was not going to let this one slip away from him.

Codeman
05-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Canan was really digging into this course to try and catch Riley, but he had such a lead that it would take a crash or mechanical failure to slow him down!

Codeman
05-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Ryan Ratliff is a great rider with a good engine under him and it was all I could do to keep him in check.

Every time my controls would start to dry off, they would get drenched again, and again I was unable to hang on!

Codeman
05-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Here I am heading into the closing laps of this race. I had a great time racing, testing, and hanging out with friends!

Codeman
05-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Riley had an awesome race, and I think he may have something for the national boys! I was happy to see him back at the top of his game:macho

Codeman
05-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Canan had a good race and is heading towards the checkers signaling his second place finish!

Codeman
05-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Ryan Ratliff rips into a solid third place finish. I hope to race him again soon!

Codeman
05-21-2007, 03:08 PM
I was happy with a fourth place finish! We have already made some new adjustments and are training for the next round!

We hope to see you and even more youth riders getting involved!

Codeman
05-21-2007, 03:13 PM
I speak for many riders when I say "Thanks Paul"!!!!

Paul does a great job of promoting all of his racers, but helps prepare kids for many of this sports challenges! None of us would be where we are today if it weren't for Pauls devotion to our sport and especially to the youth racers!

THANK YOU PAUL!!!

cash450r
05-21-2007, 03:18 PM
One day will be watching you on the big screen! Keep up the good work!