PDA

View Full Version : Head studs for a 400ex

03pissedoff426
05-20-2007, 03:59 PM
im just looking for an old pair of head studs for a 400ex. i am going to take them to a machine shop and have them make me a set just like them out of a stronger material, and instead of getting smaller in the middle just make them all the same thickness. which in reality wold make them stronger. A guy from a local machine and small engine building shop told me that the style and way the head studs are in the jug is good. but he has found that the studs themselves are strecthing over time. so if anyone has a set laying around and would just like to get rid of them. i would send you like $5 or so for the shipping. and let you know how making new ones work out for me, and maybe hook you up with a set if they work good. this way you don't have to drill and tap new threads. just use the factory ones with a good threadlocker. Thanks

Honda5
05-20-2007, 06:36 PM
you might want to look into it further it's not the studs stretching it is the aluminum in the cyl giving up and letting the studs pull.
just trying to help.

03pissedoff426
05-21-2007, 09:15 AM
well that's what I thought also. but when I checked the depth of the studs in my jug compared to the studs in a stock jug, the depth was within .001 of being the same. but the length of the studs on my head were all .02 longer then the stock head studs were. which is what led me to believe it's not the aluminum giving it's the bolts themselves. look at them. why would U make a stud smaller in the center and not just the same size the whole length. Honda designed them to give before the threads on the jug would pull. They are pretty smart when it comes to designing parts like that. when u buy head studs for a small block, are the studs smaller in the center, or all the same size? the same size.

coryatver
05-21-2007, 09:24 AM
it is not the studs that give out it is the threads in the cylinder. You need bigger studs with bigger threads so that it will hold. GT thunder sells them.

03pissedoff426
05-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Geez I guess I need to post pictures with proof for you fools that just don't understand. Cast aluminum is strong. guess thats why Company's like GT Thunder are still in business. because you all believe them. So why doesn't GT Thunder machine down the inner part of there studs? oh yea that's right, that's where all the strength is. Duh coarse threads hold more. but fine give you a tighter bond. creating a stronger hold. that's why most bolts on motors are all fine thread. I'm glad I work on cars a lot. and atv's cause I have seen all this proof. but whatever. buy them heavy duty studs, that need to be drilled and tapped to work. I might just do a strength test for you non believers and clean out the threads on my head. use a factory stud, with Red loctite 277 and see how many foot lbs it takes to stretch the stud. cause I guarantee it wont pull out. just my knowledge to spread with you. but most of you followers won't believe me, because some other people have told you other.

delete this thread before anyone else becomes smart on this site. could be dangerous

awsomeaussies
05-22-2007, 12:20 AM
I have brand new GT Thunder head studs for sale.

50 shipped