PDA

View Full Version : LT front end info and preferences...

Pred_003
05-20-2007, 11:49 AM
So, i'm looking into buying a LT +2 front end for my 04 450r for MX/Recreational purposes .... I've always heard that Elka was one of the best shocks out there but after seeing the amount of Elka's on here for sale and the trouble people seem to have getting rid of them, I'm a little skeptic.... Anyway i am looking for some pics, prices and preferences that you guys with LT set ups have... (I have heard good things about Motowoz shocks and SMC a-arms) and i would like some input on some other set ups... Thanks

P.S. If you have something for sale let me know also...

250xridamatt
05-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Elkas are notorious for not being setup correctly for you when you buy them. A lot of people end up buying new elkas, then sending them somewhere else to get them revalved. How much are you looking to spend on a front end, it will help narrow it down. Here is my Janssen and Axis set up.

Pred_003
05-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Willing to spend around 1600-1700 for a new set up... Used is going to depend on what it is and condition...

MX450
05-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Alot of people complain about elkas not being setup correctly.

For MX, alot of guys like PEPs, you can get compression only adjust (no rebound) for 1070. And look around on ebay for some LT a arms, i saw a set of Leagers on there for like 700 shipped brand new.

yfzmx10
05-20-2007, 04:29 PM
I run Elkas and I love them. Make sure you get them set up for a pro-am rider and all you will have to do is adjust the preload. Here is my Elka and Epic +3 LT front end.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/fielderlb/TRX4.jpg

TWILES
05-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by yfzmx10
I run Elkas and I love them. Make sure you get them set up for a pro-am rider and all you will have to do is adjust the preload. Here is my Elka and Epic +3 LT front end.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/fielderlb/TRX4.jpg

I agree about the set-up. I got a set when Elka first started making atv shocks and I loved them. I had them set up for a Pro rider. To solve the set-up problem get the shocks straight from Elka. You never know what you are getting from a dealer. He might just throw some in a box and he not even know what they are for.

Pred_003
05-20-2007, 04:52 PM
thanks for the pics and suggestions guys... keep em comin....

TMSmx47
05-20-2007, 10:26 PM
I use FOX/HOUSER!! Love it!!

I had ELKA first, didn't work out for me! Did not like the feel at all! This new set-up is absolutely awesome! If you want the best money can buy, FOX/WALSH!!!

whiteboycustom
05-21-2007, 06:52 AM
1600 roughly will get u a smc/motowoz set up straight from smc, he sells both so u dont have to go here and there to get both or contact ken at kb motorsports u can get both also

Prey
05-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by 250xridamatt
Elkas are notorious for not being setup correctly for you when you buy them. A lot of people end up buying new elkas, then sending them somewhere else to get them revalved.

one of the problems with elkas was that there was no re-valving them (i cannot speak for their new shocks)

elka had a proprietary one size fits all valve system that didnt allow for custom valving, their shocks were tuned for the machine, rider style and weight by using one of their many main springs, this is also why elka turn around time is so short

people like me took our elkas to one of several companies that will remove the elka valve system and replace with a custom axis valve system so we would then have the flexability to customize valving.

400exrider707
05-21-2007, 01:15 PM
yfzmx10 - Those are epic arms pictured? How do you like them? Do you have any closer pics, I'm interested in seeing how they are designed. What is your camber set at?? It looks way off, though it could be the picture and it doesn't have a rider on it.

yfzmx10
05-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
yfzmx10 - Those are epic arms pictured? How do you like them? Do you have any closer pics, I'm interested in seeing how they are designed. What is your camber set at?? It looks way off, though it could be the picture and it doesn't have a rider on it.

I really like the Epic design and handling. I will try to find some better pictures. The camber just looks off because of the pic.

yfzmx10
05-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Prey
one of the problems with elkas was that there was no re-valving them (i cannot speak for their new shocks)

elka had a proprietary one size fits all valve system that didnt allow for custom valving, their shocks were tuned for the machine, rider style and weight by using one of their many main springs, this is also why elka turn around time is so short

people like me took our elkas to one of several companies that will remove the elka valve system and replace with a custom axis valve system so we would then have the flexability to customize valving.

anybody can revalve the Elka shocks. you must of had some pretty old Elkas

yfzmx10
05-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Pics of Epic a arms

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/fielderlb/aarms-1.jpg

DOHC
05-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Is walsh a arms the best? i thought gibson was the best?

Pred_003
05-21-2007, 04:43 PM
another question is where do you get these other name a-arms.. (walsh, gibson.....) and what makes one better than the other??? Thanks for all the great input guys

Ex_Rider43
05-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Walsh is great and so is gibson , pick the one you like best but dont choose elka please. what Prey said is true , they all feel the same , all they do is change the spring rates on them, put them in a box and you get yourself one stiff *** ride.

PEP and Fox are great , stadium is good too. Never ride a set of Axis or motowoz so i cant say if they are good or not.

Heatpump#4
05-22-2007, 11:05 AM
id go with walsh and fox set up IMO (i wish i wouldve got fox long travel)

TWILES
05-22-2007, 11:36 AM
What happened to Laeger. When I was still racing they were the best ones with PEP ZPS or Limited Mass shocks....whichever you could afford. I like Laeger's castor adjusting set-up too. Its easy compared to the ones where the a-arm is threaded to the hiem joints. You don't have to worry about getting one side off from the other. Houser has basically the same thing but you roll it around instead of changing inserts. If I was buying a new set I would want one of those two if I even cared about changing that. I have no idea how to adjust the castor with the Walsh, LoneStar, and others made that way. They would be great for someone who does know how to though.

Pred_003
05-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Yeah i think i'm going to steer away from the Elka's... prolly leaning toward the Motowoz.. i hear the FOX shocks are expensive..... Still unclear on the Arms though... there are so many out there....

redrider05
05-22-2007, 05:16 PM
i love my herrmann/eka setup..they work asome and there different then the rest!!http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p150c5d3f1ae87f2d88771939106b23b5/eaac5f81.jpg

kyleschonert
05-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Heatpump#4
id go with walsh and fox set up IMO (i wish i wouldve got fox long travel)

How do you like your Fox shocks on your white LT-R. (Standard Travel)

CrackerboyLV
05-22-2007, 11:15 PM
I have a Laeger Pro Trax with ZPS PEP's. I love the way it rides. My only complaint is the price...

I also have a Laeger LT (ball joint style) on an 05 TRX with Quad rate Elkas. These Elkas are on the way to GT Thunder for an Upgrade because I'm not totally satisfied with the way they ride.

That being said, I have a YFZ 450 front end grafted onto my dune Banshee and absolutely love the way it rides on Elkas.

I also race my friends 06 TRX with Laeger LT arms and Quad Rate Elkas fairly regularly. I have no complaints with his bike, it is the same setup as ours, his just rides better. (his was ordered for a Pro-Am rider mine was ordered for a B class rider- Maybe that is the difference)

We also have Elkas on LT Housers, Elkas on Eyball Engineering LT and Elkas on LT Epics.

Long Story Short
Laeger Pro Trax - Good but Expensive
Laeger LT ball joint style- Good and reasonably priced. Durable
Houser Slicast LT - Good Quality - Very adjustable
Eyeball LT - Great Workmanship
Epics- Reasonably priced - Check the Heim Ends every race.

Love my PEP shocks, Like most of my Elkas. Both are way better than stock unless you have the stock shocks revalved.

Heatpump#4
05-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by kyleschonert
How do you like your Fox shocks on your white LT-R. (Standard Travel) I love them there as good if not better than my Long travel Elka's

GIXXER1KR
05-23-2007, 06:42 PM
SMC and Motowoz is the best bang for the buck and the arms are indestructable and if u do have problems Steve will take care of you!!!I go direct so u deal with the source not a middle man!!!

MX450
05-23-2007, 06:45 PM
those SMC a arms look exactly like JB or leagers.. i personally would get one of those over SMC

DOHC
05-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Pred_003
another question is where do you get these other name a-arms.. (walsh, gibson.....) and what makes one better than the other??? Thanks for all the great input guys
I know k and k atv sell gibson ( www.kandkatv.com )