PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody changed a crank

YFZer
05-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Has anybody changed a crank out theirself on the yfz? I have changed them out on two stroke dirt bikes, I was just wondering how bad a job it would be? It cost to much to send it to the shop.

TWILES
05-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Most of the time they require special tools to get it all apart. My friend owns a small shop and he took a 450R in that needed a crank and all his labor was eat up when he had to spend $80 for a special socket.

gmfreek2000
05-20-2007, 04:09 PM
ive done 2 yfz cranks and have had no problems,no special tools just a flywheel puller,its really not that diffrent from a 2 stroke,just take your time dont cut any corners and u should be ok

Ride1Rob
05-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by gmfreek2000
ive done 2 yfz cranks and have had no problems,no special tools just a flywheel puller,its really not that diffrent from a 2 stroke,just take your time dont cut any corners and u should be ok

What he said, I just broke my first 4 stoke motor down for a friend of mine and the only problem I ran into was not having a flywheel puller. Once I got that in and got the flywheel off it was nothing. Definitely no special tools required other than the flywheel puller. I took detailed pics of everything before removing them so I could refer to it as well as my manuel when I'm putting it back together.

hoser 400ex
05-20-2007, 09:04 PM
the hondas do require a special tool for the counter balancer, but the yfzs are a piece of cake. ive done a few of each for people i know. get yourself a manual and flywheel puller. take pictures label parts and youre good to go!!

d kelley
05-25-2007, 11:27 AM
There are times when you may need a crank puller to get the crank out of the case. Maybe 20% of the time this tool is needed.

rpyfz450
05-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by d kelley
There are times when you may need a crank puller to get the crank out of the case. Maybe 20% of the time this tool is needed.

I had my cases apart, but I didn't need to remove the crank so I just left it in the left side engine case.

I'm curious if you guys pressed the crankshaft out of the left case without using the Yamaha crank puller. Maybe you can pass along your technique in case I need to do it next time.

Thanks!