PDA

View Full Version : Help, ther rear axle on my 300ex is coming apart

DANVAN
05-19-2007, 09:19 PM
I need help with this thing, 2000 300ex, the rear end was making noise on my last ride out, I thought it was the chain hitting the lower guard, after the ride I bent it down and thought it was fixed. Today I went out and the same noise was there. Again I tried to pry down the lower skid plate.

Thoughout the ride the noise was getting worse. After a while the rear of the quad was feeling 'squally', it felt as if it was steering from the rear end, almost like a tire was loose. I kept stopping and checking, finnally I found where it was coming from, the rear end/carrier. Both axles look totally loose.

Is there bearings back there that need replacement? Can I do this repair my self or is it better left to a shop? I need it fixed fast and I have limited time, I dont know if there are special tools needed.

ctheojr450
05-20-2007, 05:14 AM
Yes there are bearings inside your carrier that your axle rides on. You can do the job yourself, but it isnt a walk in the park. A hydraulic press is handy because the baerings are a press fit in the carrier. Make sure you have a torch to heat the carrier up before you put the new bearings in.

DANVAN
05-20-2007, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the reply, I think I will dropping it at the dealer today. I have very little time to work on it and no press or torch. Hope it doesnt cost to much to get fixed.

Aceman
05-20-2007, 10:43 AM
You've let it go for so long now you might've trashed everything. Possibly new axle, bearings, and carrier. You might be shelling out $300+ altogether.

If you would've changed your bearings when you needed to you probably would've spent less than $100 if a dealer installed them.

DANVAN
05-20-2007, 05:53 PM
How are u supposed to know when there on there way out? Is there a way to check them?

The noise I heard sounded like it was the chain hitting the skid plate.

Dill
05-20-2007, 06:26 PM
you can put the quad on a stand, or otherwise block up the rear end, and grab the tire on one side of the quad and check for free play in the bearings by moving the tire up and down, and forward and back.

DANVAN
05-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks, I know what to look for now.

DANVAN
05-22-2007, 06:43 PM
I took it to the shop today, $1069.95 parts and labor.

They said it needs an axle, axle houseing, bolts, nuts, and o rings, and I think she mentioned a carrier to me on the phone, but its not on the written estimate.

I almost fell out of my seat when she called and told me the price, so I took it out of there. I called another shop and told them what I need and was given a very simular price.

I think Im gonna look for parst on ebay and do it myself.

Im in no rush to have it fixed for next weekend any more, gotta try to save a few bucks instead.

Someone I work with has a new stock axle out of a 400 ex, its mine if it fits, is it the same axle on a 400 as a 300?

300EX_HMF
05-27-2007, 01:14 PM
you tell that girl to go to hell!!!!! 1000 dollars thats bull****!!
u can do it urself for like 80 bucks let alone only 100 more bucks for someone else to do it

Caseys 300ex
05-28-2007, 06:17 PM
If you use and aftermarket locknut the 400ex axle will work.