PDA

View Full Version : Engine Clicking, Possible Timing Chain????

honda6490
05-19-2007, 09:12 PM
My 400ex with a 440 bb kit in it is like clicking during every stroke, its not that loud and you have to listen to hear it so it doesnt like stand out, is this my timing chain. I have heard they tend to stretch pretty easy.

If so how hard of a job is it to put a new timing chain in/ get it setup right.

Thanks guys

honda6490
05-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Sounds like it could be the valves too, because if I unbolt the tensioner and push in on it it doesnt go in very far...meaning that the chain hasnt streched much if at all.

Sparky_20
05-19-2007, 11:04 PM
all 400ex's tick. In fact I would rather be hearing the valve tick rather than none. I would start with your valve clearance. Do you have an aftermarket cam in there? Also are you checking your cam chain tension on tdc?

REDRIDDER
05-20-2007, 04:53 AM
Be sure to also check the cam chain tensioner sometimes the spring will snap causing the cam chain to slap the sides of the cylinder making a sound like its ticking but realy its only the tensoiner spring has broken losing its pressure to keep the chain guides against the chain.what side of the motor is the noise mostly coming from top ,left side cylinder,right side cylinder,bottom end ?is it a rattle or a ticking? pm me with any problems I'm willing to bet i can help you to diagnose the problem.

honda6490
05-20-2007, 08:51 AM
It seems like the ticking is coming from the right side of the motor. Its not a rattle its a quick tick tick tick tick tick which increases when you increase the rpms. I have also noticed that as the engine gets warmed up the ticking is quite a bit louder. The cam tensioner was in working order when I last checked it right before I rode yesterday. (but it was ticking before then anyway so I dont think its the tensioner). Hope this helps, thanks a lot for the help I appreciate it.

-My friend who is practically an expert with quads/motors thinks the valves just need to be reshimmed.

Zach

sideways
05-20-2007, 09:49 AM
sounds to me like valve clearance. mine ticks, as does every other 400. by the way, anyone know how often you should be checking the valve clearance??? i do mine about once a year (usually in the winter down time)

honda6490
05-20-2007, 10:31 AM
So do you think its even worth bringing it to someone to reshim the valves, or should I just run it for a while. Will it damage anything if the valve clearance isnt perfect? Money is kinda tight right now thats why I ask, but if I must I will have the valves reshimmed or have done whatever needs to be done.

Thanks guys.

sideways
05-20-2007, 01:05 PM
you and your expert mechanic friend can check the clearances, if it needs to be adjusted take it from there. if no adjustment needed, keep riding

Sparky_20
05-20-2007, 03:55 PM
there is no "shimming" involved. All you have to do is loosen the locknut on top of the rocker arm and use a flat blade screwdriver to loosen or tighten the clearance. Just take the plastics and fuel tank off. There are 4 adjustment caps on top of the motor and 2 on the side to set it at TDC. I would just adjust them, it should only take an hour or so for your first time

honda6490
05-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Wow im stupid didint know it was that easy. Im pretty sure I know what your describing is there a guide or a thread about someone doing this with pictures or a good description. Not sure how exactly I know what hight they should be at and stuff.

-also its not running that great right now once I ajust these it should run a bit better right?

Thanks

416exfreak
05-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Sounds like the valves....my 440 broke the tensioner for the 4th time today, so everything started making a hellacious noise...lol...

Check that thing often, and just clearance your valves to what it reccomends on your cam card (piece of paper that came with your cam, it gives specs on it).

They will always make a little bit of noise...

honda6490
05-20-2007, 05:52 PM
I bought the atv with a stage 2 cam in it, I never got a cam card. I could probably look this up online though im guessing.

-Yea I got the clearences on hotcams website, exhaust is .006 and intake is .005, so about .001 more for both of them than stock.

honda01400ex
12-08-2009, 03:18 PM
hey could one of you guys post how to adjust them the correct way

like step by step

im a newbie and need help