PDA

View Full Version : is an outlaw 525 worth it

leophard189
05-19-2007, 11:59 AM
guys i am getting ready to purchase a new quad on monday. i have a raptor 660 that i own now. i was leaning toward a raptor 700 until i came upon the outlaw 525. you guys are the experts with the 525 so please help me out with the decesion. i trail ride mostly but love power. please give some pros and cons if you guys dont mind.

thanks tim leopard

06300ex
05-19-2007, 01:32 PM
I just got done with the first ride on mine, i picked up today. Holy Cow! This thing is crazy fast, of course im coming off of a 300ex. but i have ridden other quads in the same category. the rear irs is worth its wieght in gold. its pretty much point, shoot, and hang on. I would buy it.

OutlawBill
05-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Both are good I due like the IRS over the SA setup. The Raptor does have after market stuff. The Outlaw 525 is a little faster and you have to change your riding stile. The big ? is the dealer how long have they been selling Polaris due they have a good rep or due they just try a sell it to you.

06300ex
05-19-2007, 03:28 PM
I also paid for an ext. 4 year warranty, with special financing its still only $99 a month. I felt alot safer with that....well worth the money

YCSWAT
05-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Just picked mine up at 1000, offloaded from the truck but can't ride it until tomorrow. I bought the 4 year warranty also and bought the white LE. I agree about the dealer being reputable. I noticed that I saved $500 buying local, OTD in SF area was that much more expensive. I wish I could give you pros and cons, but I'm a newbie also. I did do a lot of research and read all the forums and magazines I could find. I just felt the Outlaw is what I wanted for trail riding also. Good Luck and post what you decide.

GE4x4
05-19-2007, 03:43 PM
300ex, did you get a born date later then March? And this is for any who plan on getting one. Don't get a early 525 like before Feb as these have no updates.

06300ex
05-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Yes my born on date was march 17th, it was the first thing i checked today before any paperwork was done. thx for the heads up!

motohed
05-19-2007, 06:40 PM
i can say without a dought this machine with the 525 will definatly thrill you ,awsome power with a great ride .you will have to get use to the irs suspension . it is not a huge adjustment, but a welcome one, as the irs is super smooth with very little body roll at best. i weight 325 and have minumum problem with this adjusting to the irs the suspension ,power is extreme . there is much more power to be had from this engine trust me, i have riden ktm enduro bikes since the early 90s the performance of the 525 can be turned into a 776 beast if you really want to spend the cash. mine will be after i have ridden it for a while .the only reason i bought this quad was for the ktm engine. i was totally suprised at the handilling of the polaris outlaw, yes i will spend the money on suspension and other toys because that is what i do . although this quad as it comes from the dealer is killer ! i have riden and owned all yamaha, honda ,canam ,sport quads etc . this is by far the best quad on the market for the money. ride on !

MentalState
05-19-2007, 07:29 PM
could no of said it better...

leophard189
05-20-2007, 12:38 AM
thank you guys for all the replies. i am trying to decide if the pure polaris exhaust would be worth it??

GE4x4
05-20-2007, 05:49 AM
I think the Muzzy looks much better, and is way way cheaper.

motohed
05-20-2007, 06:03 AM
definately muzzy titanium much lighter and more power !

Outlaw 50
05-20-2007, 06:32 AM
In my opinion the Outlaw is not the quad to buy right now.

These quads have engineering problems with some of the components and Polaris is working on the fixes for them. That's Good!

These components are presently on some of the already released quads and if you buy one with the defective parts on it YOU WILL BE STUCK with it. That's bad!

The extended warranty DOES NOT cover the replacement of these components........period.

Polaris has the "worlds toughest cutomer service department"

Evasiveone
05-20-2007, 08:18 AM
I know a few of the 06 Outlaw's had some incidents with the center link and steering stops, sway bar, seat coming loose, radiator rub and rear rim rub. The 525 now has a steel center link, the sway bar and steering stops have been gusseted, the new release has the needle bearings on the rear carrier, the radiator shroud is now shimmed away from the radiator and the seat is much improved.

The gas tank petcock leaking was just a bad batch of tanks from a secondary supplier and a fix has been released.

The only thing that has not been fully addressed yet is the rear rim rub. I knew it rubbed when I bought the 525 and honestly it is no big deal to me. A few scratches that you can only see if you pull off the rims is no big deal to me. There has been only 1 incident I know of where it actually cut it bad enough to leak air and that was in australia. The chance of having your tire get a hole in it and leak air are substantially higher than the chances of cutting your rim.

There is absolutely no quad out there that is fault free. I would take a few scratches on the inside of a rear rim than some of the problems that plague the other sport bikes out there.

Love my 525 and would buy it again.

05-20-2007, 08:43 AM
if you like playing catch-up get the outlaw... if not go with the 700 or a yz450

johneboy__21
05-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Why? because they are slower?Makes no sense.

07 outlaw 525
dg nerfs
cycras
pro taper
Razr 2 fronts

05-20-2007, 07:57 PM
uh huh.. i guess their riders are a little slower too =X jk

06300ex
05-20-2007, 08:20 PM
hey evlls1, wanna meet me at durhamtown plantation and settle the score. we can go track, trail, or drag strip!( I saw you were from ga. Im 2.5 hrs away)

motohed
05-20-2007, 08:29 PM
i would have to say the evil has obviously never riden the 525 powered outlaw as he is severly missinformed . i had a yfz 450 definately slower than the 525 outlaw but it was still faster than the 700 rapter.

05-20-2007, 08:55 PM
i'll race whatever whenever... makes no diff. to me

06300ex
05-20-2007, 09:04 PM
thats cool you called my crap, ill let you know when i go next time. that is an awesome place to ride!

05-20-2007, 09:11 PM
it's cool. what do you have? ya'll do know i'm just throwing dust everywhere right? lol. i like to race i dont care what it is against you win some you loose some... lately i been winning more than loosing lol but it's all good...

i've not been to durhamtown yet though i keep hearing it's the best. we're trying to make plans to go up there this weekend... if not the whole weekend we want to at least make a day of it.

06300ex
05-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Its wicked cheap. 25 bucks for one day or 40 for two. they have camping and cabins. I have an 06300ex, and a 525 outlaw. I took my 300 about a month ago, and it was too much fun . 8000 acres, trails tracks, mudholes, and drag strip with stage lights and all.. awesome!

05-21-2007, 05:48 PM
yeah i keep visiting their site often and we're gonna try to go this saturday or sunday definitely i want to make a long weekend out of it when i can plan it out more... might take vacation day on a friday and go up there til sunday one weekend.

do they wet the dust down any each day if it hasn't rained in awhile?

arsinal310
05-21-2007, 06:22 PM
well if wanna stock sick fast atv get the 525 outlaw i've ridden raptors and theres no comparison this past weekend i drag raced a two yfz's one with a full yoshi exhaust and air intake and i got for about two bikes and i had the front end up at the start the second yfz had a drd slip on and i got for about six bike lenghts his buddy in honda 450r wanted some to and i blew him out of the water no competetion so if u want something fast and something that rides like a cadillac get this bike

arsinal310
05-21-2007, 06:22 PM
well if wanna stock sick fast atv get the 525 outlaw i've ridden raptors and theres no comparison this past weekend i drag raced two yfz's one with a full yoshi exhaust and air intake and i got for about two bikes and i had the front end up at the start the second yfz had a drd slip on and i got for about six bike lenghts his buddy in honda 450r wanted some too and i blew him out of the water no competetion so if u want something fast and something that rides like a cadillac get this bike

06300ex
05-21-2007, 06:54 PM
when i was there, they wet the drag strip, but as for the trails you might as well take a dust mask. our sat. was dusty but we rode in the rain sunday.....sunday was much more fun