PDA

View Full Version : yes or no to nitrous ?

mytrx450r
05-19-2007, 07:37 AM
hey, whats up, im going to try this thread again. i currently have an 05 with 480 cylinder, vcp 14/1, hc2, mild port, hmf/ballance full, k&n (switching to uni), ign box, (and a bunch of other junk that doesnt matter in this thread) and im thinking of adding a nitrous kit. i love the power the motor puts out now, but the idea of a few extra ponies at the touch of a button sounds like a bunch of fun. the bike is mostly rode for fun and beaten up on the local banshees and yfzs but do drag in sand from time to time. i have used nitous on cars and trucks in the past so im very familiar with how it works, but have yet to see it on a quad. what do you guys think and does anyone have any experience with the kits?

Gray33
05-19-2007, 08:11 AM
hey man, if you are just messing around and trail riding and stuff then i wouldnt recomend it. But if you are serious into drag racing then i am totaly for it.

TWISTED DINLI
05-19-2007, 10:51 AM
If you are going to drag race it full time yea definitly get it but like Gray33 said if you are just going to be messing around on it and trail riding don't get it.

For drag racing: My brother has a full out Drag Banshee(its very fast BTW) and he has nitrous hooked up to it. He has it set up in the throttle where as soon as you hit full throttle its spraying wide open.

So if you are going to drag it you could hook it up to the throttle.

mytrx450r
05-19-2007, 10:58 AM
i do trail ride a lot, but i thats why i was thinking of going that route. on when you want it and off when you dont. i also get alot of mixed opinions on the motor combo i have, but i love it. so far its been pretty reliable. ( it will prob blow up now that i said something! ) just wondering if anyone has used one of the kits and if it was worth the 7-800 beans.

pro-rider46
05-20-2007, 08:11 AM
i think you should go for it. like you said you can turn it on and off. but i would call nitrous express or someone like that first because it might blow it up something. i dont know much about nitrous but with turbos you have to lower compression

if you do decide to do it keep us posted please

Jem450ER
05-20-2007, 08:42 AM
Ya i figure why not? If you want to, go for it! then let me know how it is :D http://www.boondockers.com/site.htm they run good nitrous system from what i've read/heard. Prices from $695.00 for an aluminum bottle to $988.00 for a carbon fiber

R3Concepts
05-20-2007, 09:34 AM
If its a stock jug thats been bored out to the 97mm 480 then I would not do it. It will blow the jug apart when you get up around a 20-25 shot.

Boondocker is the worst kit you can buy. Wet kits are where its at, like a Cold Fusion kit. And if you're not going to spray at least 15-20 dont even waste your time. For repeated use you will need a lockup from Direct Drive or it will smoke clutches left and right. We have sprayed lots of bikes so let me know if I can help more.

mytrx450r
05-20-2007, 06:40 PM
thanks for the input i was thinking about using the boondocker, they say that their manifold pressurizes the carb somehow to add the extra fuel. i know better than to use a "dry" kit. i dont have the stock cylider, it is the athena bb with a vcp piston. i have seen nitrous used on hi comp motors, you have to take timing out or increase your octane, or both. my main concern i guess is the fact that the vcp is 2 ring as opposed to the stock 3 ring. and i was kinda joking about the banshee and yfz remark, if i was going to build an all out drag bike i would prob go with the shee. most bikes around here are stock or lightly modded. just like to win by a bunch!