PDA

View Full Version : Sacraficing durability

hsr
05-19-2007, 07:14 AM
All of these lighweight parts look awesome, I fell confident in the frame but it looks like I could take those upper a-arms and bend them in half over my knee. I'm just wondering if all of this stuff is going to take the hard hits that are going to be thrown at it?

GE4x4
05-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by hsr
All of these lighweight parts look awesome, I fell confident in the frame but it looks like I could take those upper a-arms and bend them in half over my knee. I'm just wondering if all of this stuff is going to take the hard hits that are going to be thrown at it?

Those forged upper and lower a-arms will be very strong. Just look at the YFZ and Raptor upper arms and all they are is hollow square tubing welded, yet they hold up. These are forged and solid aluminum, so will be much stronger. Even the KFX won't even be as strong. So other then getting cut out of a solid block of aluminum (Billet) forged is about as strong as you can get. Very expensive to have done to compared to cast.

kbass24emtp
05-19-2007, 09:33 PM
It should be alright. The 450R has an aluminum swingarm, and I have not heard of too many problems with them breaking.

ThePhantomRider
05-20-2007, 04:46 AM
Jeremy Schell has been testing them for over a year now and has not had any failures...

That said, his fully gussetted and race prepped TRX 450 frame broke...it had 3 races on it.

TPR

c450Razy
05-20-2007, 02:01 PM
TPR,

man the way you talk this bike up in this fourm you`d think that you were paid by CAN-AM.

hsr
05-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by c450Razy
TPR,

man the way you talk this bike up in this fourm you`d think that you were paid by CAN-AM.

Probably the guy from the video. ha

ThePhantomRider
05-20-2007, 11:56 PM
No, but they should...lol. I just have been waiting for this for years now. I have not been privy to specifics, but have known that this would be the most revolutionary quad since the Cannondale, albiet with more R&D and a bigger backing budget.

Now what I have seen so far has backed it up and then some.

I am nowhere near as fast as Jeremy, though I have seen some of his broken bikes first hand. What he does to them just ain't pretty, that's why he's the perfect tester.

TPR

Yamahauler_04
05-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
No, but they should...lol. I just have been waiting for this for years now. I have not been privy to specifics, but have known that this would be the most revolutionary quad since the Cannondale, albiet with more R&D and a bigger backing budget.

Now what I have seen so far has backed it up and then some.

I am nowhere near as fast as Jeremy, though I have seen some of his broken bikes first hand. What he does to them just ain't pretty, that's why he's the perfect tester.

TPR

Pretty much spot on. I have never seen anyone thrash a quad like Jeremy. I have seen multiple Quadcross races where the quad was beat after 1 practice and 2 motos.

He is hard on the equipment and he knows it. If he says he tried to destroy it, it should be bulletproof for almost everybody.

khj
05-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Yamahauler_04
Pretty much spot on. I have never seen anyone thrash a quad like Jeremy. I have seen multiple Quadcross races where the quad was beat after 1 practice and 2 motos.

He is hard on the equipment and he knows it. If he says he tried to destroy it, it should be bulletproof for almost everybody.

he destroyed his very first Lagers bike on the 3rd lap of practice of a arena race in NC

Jeremy, myself, and Joe Byrd used a 16lb sledge hammer on it for about an hour to get it where he could run it in the race that night
and that was in 1995 before he went pro

rpyfz450
05-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
Those forged upper and lower a-arms will be very strong. Just look at the YFZ and Raptor upper arms and all they are is hollow square tubing welded, yet they hold up.

Apples and oranges. The upper A-arms don't support the weight or suspension of the ATV and they're not at risk of comming in contact with the ground.