PDA

View Full Version : A new way to save fuel...

Smokin 440
05-18-2007, 05:43 PM
According to the local news some cities in Wisconsin have been established ATV parks, and allow use of ATVs on roads just because of high gas prices. I know 1 or 2 have done it already, and they named off multiple other cities that are considing doing the same...

Ruby Soho
05-18-2007, 05:50 PM
that would be cool to do

05-18-2007, 05:51 PM
never heard of such a thing. I know you can get your ATV or dirt bike legal around here (mirrors, blinkers, etc...) i would love to pick up a lil 400 4 stroke trail bike a cruise around :D

csimp3
05-18-2007, 06:33 PM
you got a list of these cities? or a list of the ones thinkin about changing over to that? i know im too close to madison to have any of em near me, but it would be fun to ride around on the roads

LTR450_#67
05-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Even though I ride MX, I would have it mandatory to keep db. sound levels low.....

Smokin 440
05-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by csimp3
you got a list of these cities? or a list of the ones thinkin about changing over to that? i know im too close to madison to have any of em near me, but it would be fun to ride around on the roads

I've been trying to find it but I can't, it was on the news a few nights ago...

Smokin 440
05-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Found an article...

April 28, 2007
By Ed Lowe
Post-Crescent staff writer

BRILLION — When Brillion opens its streets for use by permitted golf carts and all-terrain vehicles starting Tuesday, the architect of the plan will be watching the traffic.

For police Capt. Dan Alloy, the three-year path to establishing the city as a state-approved ATV park was rocky, rutted and seldom traveled.

“They thought I was daffy,” Alloy said, describing the city council’s initial reaction to his plan to allow ATV riders access to the city streets.

Eventually, with some much-needed help from the state Department of Natural resources, Alloy answered the many concerns attached to establishing Brillion as a center of the ATV-riding universe.

On Tuesday the city begins allocating $25 permits allowing city residents to ride their approved ATVs, golf carts and low-speed electric vehicles around town nearly as freely as their cars, trucks and motorcycles.

Steve Gruett, the owner of Gruett Inc., which sells ATVs in the nearby village of Potter, noted some of the state’s rural towns opened roads to use by ATVs, but Brillion is the first incorporated community to go that route.

Now Potter and other nearby communities are laying plans to adopt similar ATV-friendly ordinances, hoping recreation trails, and new economic opportunities will follow. A new Brillion-area ATV club has emerged to advance the vision beyond the city limits.

“The tough part will be getting a trail established, whether it goes from Brillion to Potter, or Brillion to Forest Junction or Reedville,” Gruett said Thursday. “If that can happen it will be a plus for everybody.

“The challenge will be getting the landowners’ permission (for trail rights), and then keeping people on the trail,” Gruett said. “We’ll need to keep the landowners happy.”

In Brillion, even the city’s sole vender of new ATVs didn’t see the new ordinance coming.

“I was surprised (Alloy) got it passed,” said Jeff Vechart, the general manager of Mobile Equipment Sales. “He was pretty persistent and energetic about the effort.”

Vechart said he expanded his line of new ATVs to match a recent surge in local demand. Some bumps in the road probably are unavoidable, but manageable, as cars and golf carts learn to share the road, he said.

“I’m sure they’ll get it worked out,” Vechart said. “It should be interesting.”

Alloy, an ATV-rider, said he fell into the sales mission by default.

“A lot of people were talking about it but they didn’t know how to get it started, so I kind of volunteered to look into it,” he said Wednesday. “Then I got so deep into it that I just finished it up.”

The new city ordinance allows the owners of approved ATV and golf carts to use them to travel only from their homes to either connecting trails or local businesses.

Guest permits are available to non-residents but must be obtained through registered permit holders.

Alloy said the city council eventually embraced the ordinance as the catalyst for recreational trails drawing new visitors and commerce to the region.

“I’m sure within a year from now, they’ll have a very nice trail system in use,” Alloy said, noting the latest meeting of the local ATV club drew some 80 members.

Article Reference: Appleton Post-Crescent: Your Fox Cities News Source - Brillion loosens reins for rec riders

TAKE NOTE:
Riding in Brillion

To ride an all-terrain vehicle or golf cart on Brillion streets, riders must:
Limit travel to routes linking homes to connecting trails or local businesses.
Be licensed to drive a car or truck, and provide proof of insurance.
Register the vehicle with the state and obtain the local permit.
Be a city resident or obtain a guest permit from a resident holding an ATV permit.
Stay off unpaved city property, private property, sidewalks and U.S. 10.
Display a “slow moving vehicle” sign on vehicles unable to maintain speeds of 25 mph.
Maintain carts or ATVs without defects or modifications.
Operate headlights and tail lights at all times of day.
Remain as far to the right side of the road as possible.
Obey all rules applying to highway-capable motor vehicles.