PDA

View Full Version : Rumored changes for 08'

hsr
05-18-2007, 02:46 PM
anyone hear anything?

atvridernc
05-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Im just hoping its got a carbon fiber frame, dual exhaust, IRS, and 20" rims.

300ex#5
05-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by atvridernc
Im just hoping its got a carbon fiber frame, dual exhaust, IRS, and 20" rims.

and wings :p

kbass24emtp
05-19-2007, 09:35 PM
If Honda knows whats good for them, they better do more than change the color and stickers.

woodsman250r
05-19-2007, 11:50 PM
The only thing changing will be more yamaha riders to Honda, since Honda owns the podium in pretty much every type of ATV racing.

Why is everyone sooo uptight about what they will change? If you want EFI, aluminum frame and all that other crap, go make yourself happy and buy a kawi. I love my 450r how it is and don't think Honda needs to make all these changes a lot of people are crying about.

lj450r
05-20-2007, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by woodsman250r
The only thing changing will be more yamaha riders to Honda, since Honda owns the podium in pretty much every type of ATV racing.

Why is everyone sooo uptight about what they will change? If you want EFI, aluminum frame and all that other crap, go make yourself happy and buy a kawi. I love my 450r how it is and don't think Honda needs to make all these changes a lot of people are crying about.

Thank you, i feel the same way.

CHEVYZ
05-20-2007, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by lj450r
Thank you, i feel the same way. x3

450rJam
05-20-2007, 07:36 AM
Im loving the 06/07 450r's, the turning radius could be improved but im pretty happy.

the 97
05-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Maybe an aluminum frame would be cool but I like my 06 with out that. I don’t think Honda needs efi but they will probly end up sticking it on there in the next few years cause that seems to be the big thing. I think if they want to change something they should sell them stock with the hrc kit in them. that’s all I would do anyway.

Jem450ER
05-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Ya i just bought my 07 in march and can't be happier with it. I can't really find a fault in the machine as is sits. Although reverse would be handy at times...i know, i know that gear/button adds 6 lbs. But why not on the electric model?

MX450
05-20-2007, 09:38 AM
i just bought a very lightly used (practically new) 05 and i love it! an aluminum frame would be cool but other than that i have no complaints. I personally dont want EFI... just more $$ to mod and more wires to fool with..

I agree with woodsman250r... if you want efi aluminum frame ect.. go buy one of the new spaceship quads:p

FHKracingZ
05-20-2007, 10:44 AM
owns the podium huh? more like suzuki is owning the podium this year in motocross.

GE4x4
05-20-2007, 05:45 PM
They might be on podiums now, but many of those podium winners won't be on Honda next year. Borich (DS450) Baldwin racing (KFX450) Farr (KTM450) Federick (DS450) Schell (DS450) and rumor Natalie will also be on a DS or KTM. Other companies are adding support, yet Honda is taking it away. So it looks like the racers are leaving to.

N300exJ
05-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Yup everyone is in denial that Honda is losing all there riders and there 450R isnt at the top anymore as far as technology is concerned. Im tired of fixin my 450R so im gonna wait till the 08 450R comes out. If i dont like it ill be switching to something better.(more reliable)

04TRX400EX
05-20-2007, 08:20 PM
I am hoping that the Honda's (and the Yamaha's) will go EFI next year. I love the throttle response and easy tuning of fuel injection. Honda is very tight-lipped about their changes so no one will probably know for sure until July or so. In addition to EFI, I hope for an aluminum frame and updated suspension: longer a-arms and axle with better shocks - more adjustability and not factory set for people over 200lbs. would be nice.

Dave400ex
05-20-2007, 08:59 PM
First they need to completely redesign the current electric start setup because it's junk. Update the frame, aluminum or whatever, fix the rear suspension, I would like to see a dual piston rear caliper, beef up the tranny and engine all around, and several other things can be done. Don't get me wrong I love my 450R, but they are far from perfect and need some updates.

jb500ex
05-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
They might be on podiums now, but many of those podium winners won't be on Honda next year. Borich (DS450) Baldwin racing (KFX450) Farr (KTM450) Federick (DS450) Schell (DS450) and rumor Natalie will also be on a DS or KTM. Other companies are adding support, yet Honda is taking it away. So it looks like the racers are leaving to.

your jumping the gun on borich, he has not signed anything for next year

d3ktrix
05-20-2007, 10:09 PM
I'll never ride a stock quad again so I could care less what they do with it :P
For how ever long I ride quads they will always get full suspension right away.

I have no complaints about the engine on any of the 450s but the shocks are not up to any type of real riding.
Just way too tall/narrow/stiff.

For the 08 450r I'd like to see:
EFI
Wider/Lower
Significantly better shocks
Better stock bars, taller stock stem

The hondas would do so much better off the show room floor with only some minor suspension changes.

TMSmx47
05-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
For the 08 450r I'd like to see:
EFI
Wider/Lower
Significantly better shocks
Better stock bars, taller stock stem

The hondas would do so much better off the show room floor with only some minor suspension changes.

^^^^^I agree^^^^^

TWILES
05-21-2007, 11:40 AM
I think if they would go back to 250R plastic and tank they would automatically feel closer to the ground and be more comfortable to ride. No other ATV sets as good as a 250R. And I'd like to see the CR500 (or equivelent) rear link like the ProTrax frames had. They are toooooooo top-heavy and the shocks just SUCK for anyone over 150 pounds. There just isn't enough adjustment with the stuff thats in them. I like the Hondas a lot more than the Yamaha's BUT they just don't feel 50"s wide when they are that wide and don't feel 46"s wide stock the way the shocks and rear link are. I vote to do away with the CBR gas tank and the uncomfortable seat. 250R everything and the actual CRF450 motor with 5 gears. I'd put money down on that one. Suzuki undoubtedly has the best 450 out right now.

Flodies400ex
05-21-2007, 03:07 PM
they need to fix the start problems and have kick and starter in one bike instead of spending couple hundred dollars on the part to switch it over

animal1
05-22-2007, 01:01 PM
im not the smartest guy but wouldnt efi jus add more headaches. idk about the tuneability with the efi on quads yet but wouldnt it be easier and faster to just swap some jets rather than have to remap ur whole ****? id rather jus have a carb.

400exrider707
05-22-2007, 01:16 PM
I agree with DK3TRIX, just make it more race ready. I would update the frame, doesn't need to be aluminum, but definitely beef it up, even if that means adding a few pounds, then put some really good suspension on it. Most of this stuff isn't going to happen. Honda has always been the company who makes a four wheeler that appeals to the masses. Back in the 400ex days, more people bought them to just ride them without doing a single thing to them. With the 450's now, I think more people own them to race them, than to just fart around on them, hopefully Honda will see this and add more race ready components to it.

450rJam
05-22-2007, 03:35 PM
be cool if they offered an mx kit with wider arms longer travel 18's etc. (like the hrc kit)

if they could price it as well as they did the hrc kit that would rock.

QuadJunkies
05-23-2007, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
First they need to completely redesign the current electric start setup because it's junk.

Agreed. I also agree on the frame issues and suspention also ...

As far as not being reliable, you will not find ANY of the 450's in today market that 100% full proof on reliability.They ALL have there pros and Cons.
On a side note speaking of the ES..Honda also has the best warrenty service out there,we have yet to have an issue getting parts warrentied. :)

sunco
05-23-2007, 05:39 AM
quadjunkies I hope your right because my 04' is at a Honda dealer currently. I bought mine @ Pocono Powersports in PA (which has been closed for 6 months I hear). I had to fax my paper work to honda - they had no record of my $600's I paid for extended warranty. The shop was gonna look @ it Thursday. Good luck to me & I hope your right.

Everyone one have a great Holiday. Since I'm not riding - I'm the camara man .........

QuadJunkies
05-23-2007, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by sunco
quadjunkies I hope your right because my 04' is at a Honda dealer currently. I bought mine @ Pocono Powersports in PA (which has been closed for 6 months I hear). I had to fax my paper work to honda - they had no record of my $600's I paid for extended warranty. The shop was gonna look @ it Thursday. Good luck to me & I hope your right.

Everyone one have a great Holiday. Since I'm not riding - I'm the camara man .........

I hope for yor sake that it gets covered as well!:eek2:
Your copies from your dealer shoud be enough I would think to prove you have the warrenty,afterall....thats what its forand I dont think they can argue with that....
We currently have our Honda in the shop getting a brand new frame installed ,EVEN after knowing its currently being raced.
We chose to keep the motor stock(only a pipe and HRC) so that when things like this happen they are covered.
I do believe that out dealer tells them how loyal we are and Im sure that it helps(he said the rep. said to take care of long time customers who are good customers)
We also got our starter replaced a few weeks ago-no questions asked... :

So did you say that the dealer went out of business?

I would be concerned about it getting pocketed if no one has a record and they are no longer around :scary:

being the camerman isnt always so bad :D ;)

BonaZ
05-24-2007, 11:05 PM

Nah, I look at it this way, they are just making more room in the spotlight for the much talented up and coming racers that are making their arrivals.......I just wish I was one of them.....LOL

chris450R
05-25-2007, 10:32 AM
well, if you look at all the riders that are winning and were winning, what are or were they riding? HONDA. Wimmer, Wienan, Byrd, Natalie, Baldwin motosport, Borich, Lawson, Creamer, All the top guys have been on Honda or are still on Honda. The biggest thing is the Factory support, until Honda truely steps it up and gets these Honda riders a ****ING rig and team and everything else they need, these really fast privateers are going to be going Kawi, Suzuki, and hell maybe KTM and DS, if they come out strong with some support. really to me, it makes me sick as hell to see all the Honda guys go and Honda let them go. i mean yes the 450R has issuses, but so does the rest. but the honda like it is right now can still hold up and whoop the new EFI bikes. i mean when you get to that level anyway, there isn't much difference anymore. i am a Honda guy through and through. the newer bikes are nice and all but i will keep my 04 kick start with no prone to failure battery, computer, maps, efi, starter and all the jazzy **** that can make your day bad. as long as you service it regularly and take care of it, it will start and run forever. so far, with my 04, the 3rd one from the dealer, in March of 04 right after they were released, i have not had to rebuild, and repair any thing with the motor. never had my crank bearing go out. my mods to the motor are listed below as well. still runs as strong as ever too. pulls holeshots all day! also, it has never been completely torn down for a full rebuild. i have raced it since i have gotten it too. NO PROBLEMS! and there has been many wrecks too!

Chris

DOHC
05-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Im having a hard time understanding why people want efi, all efi does is bring more problems, everything cost more, is harder to fix, and not as fun. I love playing around and adjusting my carb. I guess im just old school although im only 16 lol

TWILES
05-25-2007, 03:02 PM
I think fuel-injection is great for the trail rider and hardcore racer with plenty of money. I just have a hard time swallowing the $800 or so for the adjustment tools for the FI. Someone who can afford to blow a motor or two trying fuel maps would benefit from it same as the guy who doesn't do anything to his bike other than little things who can just leave it alone.

GE4x4
05-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Well Honda gave the California resource board some of it's 08 lineup for emissions. Well it looks like the 450R for 08 will still be a carb with the same HP as the 07. And since they allready gave it to them this early, chance are it will have bold new graphics. No Yamaha's yet. Ussually when they give there 08 lineup early to the emissions board, there are not much changes from the previous year. But it shows they will still offer both the R and ER.08 450 R emissions board (http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/ofhrv/ofmcatv_comply/2008/honda_atv_um0030201_449.pdf)

desratt
05-25-2007, 07:10 PM
can you pull up the test from the 06 or 07 450r and we can see it there is any major difference in the emitions. possibly telling if there are any changes.

desratt
05-25-2007, 07:37 PM
ok I found it but I can't really deciffer the test results I would say the emissions have gotten slightly worse from last year.

trx450jason
05-26-2007, 10:23 AM
I think there will be changes. It seems honda fallows a 2-year plan with the 450r like they used to with the 250r. Just to what the changes will be no one knows.

coryatver
05-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Well Honda gave the California resource board some of it's 08 lineup for emissions. Well it looks like the 450R for 08 will still be a carb with the same HP as the 07. And since they allready gave it to them this early, chance are it will have bold new graphics. No Yamaha's yet. Ussually when they give there 08 lineup early to the emissions board, there are not much changes from the previous year. But it shows they will still offer both the R and ER.08 450 R emissions board (http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/ofhrv/ofmcatv_comply/2008/honda_atv_um0030201_449.pdf)

I can't believe it. This is disappointing

450R_lover
05-26-2007, 12:41 PM
I think reliability will become more of an issue with the new efi engines. I guess anything you take care of though, will last. I have maticulously taken care of my 04' and got it in April of 04'. I have yet to have a problem with anything on it. I have the mods in my sig. ONLY because i wanted more power. I still have stock sprockets and chain! These things dont matter but im just showing how well i take care of it. haha Stock rear bearings, carrier, and bottom end. EFI will be a headache for me because everything i do to mine now, i do myself. I dont know anything about the efi engines. Carb tuning sounds much easier than allowing the computer to tune the engine itself.... what if that computer goes bad and you dont know it? what would happen? I dont know about you guys, but a bike with kickstart, carb and no battery sounds like less trouble than a bike with ES, EFI, and a batter that could give out on you at any time.
Just my thoughts

culichi
05-26-2007, 09:46 PM
ummm so that you know EFI dosent need a battery whit the yoshi kick start

quadgod440ex
05-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Well obviously the EFI bike will come with electric start. Now your saying with the yoshi kickstart you dont need a battery? Just goes to show right there that you would have to spend more money once again for something EFI.If you wanted a kickstart that is.

N300exJ
05-28-2007, 08:49 PM
all 450 race quads should be kickstart. e start sucks

desratt
05-28-2007, 09:10 PM
what is the problem everyone has with efi.... all your cars and trucks and alot of street bikes and boats ect are all efi nowdays. people are modding them still just fine. a tuner for a car gives such endless possibilities. with a carb you can't get absolute perfect jetting. because you have to move in set incriments (ie jet sizes , or needle clip notches) and you never ride at the exact same altitude, your intake air temp always changes..

with efi it is alot easier to get the maximum benifit or air to fuel mixture and better atomization.
I ride minimum 2 hours a day as I live in the middle of nowhere and can ride from my house. and have been racing for 7 years now . I have had my share of trouble with carbs, and think there will be less with efi. no accelerator pump to freeze up, no jets to clog or come loose, no slide to stick , ect

just my 2 cents

DOHC
05-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by desratt
what is the problem everyone has with efi.... all your cars and trucks and alot of street bikes and boats ect are all efi nowdays. people are modding them still just fine. a tuner for a car gives such endless possibilities. with a carb you can't get absolute perfect jetting. because you have to move in set incriments (ie jet sizes , or needle clip notches) and you never ride at the exact same altitude, your intake air temp always changes..

with efi it is alot easier to get the maximum benifit or air to fuel mixture and better atomization.
I ride minimum 2 hours a day as I live in the middle of nowhere and can ride from my house. and have been racing for 7 years now . I have had my share of trouble with carbs, and think there will be less with efi. no accelerator pump to freeze up, no jets to clog or come loose, no slide to stick , ect

just my 2 cents I agree efi makes more power but clearly u havnt worked on it. Its a nightmare to find the problem u need a scanner wich cost about 3000 cnd and u have to buy a new one every couple of years even then its hard to find the problem.

desratt
05-29-2007, 08:18 PM
no I haven't had to mess with it much. I just used the sct excaliber II and plugged in programs and thats it.

that was on my focus... usually just datalog shoot the file to a tuner he adjusts the program and shoots it back.