PDA

View Full Version : Any problems w/ IMS sleeve cracking?

shamisc
10-15-2002, 11:35 PM
Is anyone having any problems w/ the IMS 440 kit sleeve. I was told to stay away b/c the sleeve cracks! Anyone?

10-16-2002, 12:02 AM
I think what "they" are referring to us the tapered sleeves. I have heard from more than one person that this is possible. It appears that rather than require the cases be machined to allow additional clearence some of the mfg's had used sleeves that are tapered so they came with the clearence.

Some people believe that the thinner section of the sleeve can be a weak spot and crack. I dont know of any first hand but in theory it does make sense. I do know that its better to have the tapered sleeve than the non tapered one without machining the cases cause they will crack the case when the sleeve expands from the heat (this I have heard of more than once).

My IMS kit has the tapered sleeve and was orig installed on another quad in late 99 and I am expecting it to last forever and have nothing to report about any cracks in it.

How much is truth and how much hype I guess we dont know.

BadA$$440
10-16-2002, 05:51 AM
My friend put ina IMS 440 kit a couple months ago and he hasnt had no problems with it.

YZROOSTINYA
10-16-2002, 06:41 AM
if you go to the sparks website. they explain what 440ex said about the taper. i believe it is under the tips section, they have pics

BadA$$440
10-16-2002, 08:11 AM
whats "taper"?

oynot400
10-16-2002, 08:22 AM
I have the IMS sleeve, and as far as I know I have no problems. I am taking it out tonight to get ready for my stoker. It has been in for nearly 2 years. So I will know more tonight.
When they talk about tapered sleeve they mean the bottom of the sleeve is thinner to fit into the case.

oynot400
10-17-2002, 08:16 AM
I took the top end apart last night. The cylinder looked great, very little wear. No crackes either. :D

Sandragggen
10-17-2002, 12:49 PM
I had the IMS kit and had no problems for over a year. Looked fine when it was removed.

10-17-2002, 05:02 PM
The IMS sleeve seems fine but since I am doing some motor work and checking it out I think someone had it either overbored or honed it way too much.

So It looks like it may be time for a new sleeve.

For the record the current one is looking fine no noticable wear marks or ridges etc. The piston is also like new except for a pair of small "smudges" on the outside of the exh valve reliefs, guess thats from the extra piston slap from the extra piston clearence.