PDA

View Full Version : CB radios

YamahaBlue22
05-18-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm thinking of buying a cb for my pick-up truck, and was seeing if anyone had a recommendation for antennas. I perfer the look of the dual whip antennas. I'm looking for something cheap, that will still get good reception. Also I'm not possitive where I want to mount the annenas. It will probably be mounted on a 1988 for ranger. If you have pictures, feel welcome to post them...

parkers30
05-18-2007, 01:06 PM
For the most part you are going to have the best luck finding antennas at a truckstop or ordering them. If you are planning on doing a dual antenna setup they sell them at most big truck stops as a kit with everything you need.

As for mounting they sell brackets to mount them just about anywhere you could want to. Most trucks I see have them mounted on the tool boxes or from the stake pockets. so that don't have to drill the bed. I'll se if I can come up with pictures of friends 80's Ranger with dual fiberglass whips.

Rekd
05-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Ideally, you want 102 inches on a whip. That's a quarter wavelength.

Using 2 antennae (called co-phased) will help the radiation patter stay more even. One antenna on the corner of your car makes for a weird pattern and reception of certain signals will change depending on which way your truck is facing.

If you don't go with 102 inches, you'll want a coil (load) to achieve the correct wavelength, and if the coil is at the base of the antenna, it won't work as good as one that's at the top or wrapped all the way up (constant load).