PDA

View Full Version : Anybody replace thier cam chain and tensioner?

feelthisroost11
05-18-2007, 07:07 AM
Is there any easy ways,shortcuts in doing it or is it just straight foward following the honda shop manual. I was wondering because theres always something easier after you take something you dont need off and i was juss seeing if there is any? Thanks

400exrider707
05-18-2007, 07:10 AM
Pretty straight forward. The cam chain can be a pain, and is usually best left to when you are doing a rebuild, but if you must do it then go ahead.

feelthisroost11
05-18-2007, 10:52 AM
to tell you the truth last time we rebuilt it was the beg. of 03. It stil runs strong and we well got our money worth paying a little extra for the JE piston. Lookin at the paper work it was rebuilt with wiseco twice in 2 years. now its like 4-5 years and stil runs strong.Belive me we dont take it easy oin it either.The only problem in the time period we ran into with the motor is the cam tensioner and the cam chain wich was ticking loud as hell but still ran evrytime you pushed that button.not saying we rode it or ran it for a long time with the ticking but it was stil running strong. I got the HD chain and a brand new factory tensioner. So i should be back in the run after that. im also looking at the 450r carb cause we still got stock carb on 440ex so after that it should rip even more. Thanks

AbnMP13
07-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Is it necessary to replace the cam chain when changing to an 11:1 and stage 1 cam?

PismoLocal
07-05-2007, 11:13 AM
You don't absolutely have to, but it would be smart to install a CRF cam chain while your in there putting the piston and cam in. The HD chains are only $27 so why not if your going to be doing more than half the job already installing the other mods.

AbnMP13
07-05-2007, 01:11 PM
I'll have to find one on eBay cause the local shop wants $44 for one.

GOTFEAR
07-05-2007, 10:56 PM
custom cam chain tentioner........Take yours off theirs a clip on the other side remove the clip and guts remove the screw cap drill and tap this 3/8x16 tap get a threaded rod about 3 inches long double 2 nuts so you can adjust the threaded rod and a third one to lock downon and thread it in the adjuster now you have a custom cam chain tentioner so when your big motor kicks back it wont jump timing did you get all this.