PDA

View Full Version : oil leaking kinda worried

IMSROLL450R
05-17-2007, 09:38 PM
I have an 06 450er that recently started leaking oil out of a little hole above the cylinder about where the valves and combustionwould be. Its on the right side of the motor and its definitly there for a reason i just dont know why a little oil is runnin out from time to time. Anyone know anything about this?

d3ktrix
05-17-2007, 10:09 PM
My friend has this happen once, his head had a crack in it from over heating.

Could be other things too tho.

IMSROLL450R
05-17-2007, 10:22 PM
was his leaking from an actual crack or just from the hole? mine hasnt cracked to my knowledge and the heat light hasnt ever came on so i dont think it has overheated. it kinda has me worried.

d3ktrix
05-17-2007, 10:33 PM
The crack was internal, the oil only came out of the hole.
Everything looked normal from the outside.

His was overheating like crazy and burping coolant, and the light never came on.
I wouldn't trust that light to tell me my soup is hot.

ss440ex
05-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Is`nt that the spark plug cavity drain/weep hole?

IMSROLL450R
05-17-2007, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by ss440ex

You tell me?????? That sounds legitimate though I will just go ask the dealer or maybe pull the plug and look to see if everything is ok up there.

d3ktrix
05-17-2007, 10:53 PM

Yes it is.

But when theres problems in the head, oil seems to come out of there =)

d3ktrix
05-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by IMSROLL450R
You tell me?????? That sounds legitimate though I will just go ask the dealer or maybe pull the plug and look to see if everything is ok up there.

Pulling the plug out isn't going to show u anything, u need remove at least the valve cover to see anything, probably the whole head.

400exrider707
05-18-2007, 06:01 AM
Are you having overheating problems? After every time you wash your quad, you are supposed to spray a dab of carb cleaner or something to displace water out of that hole. Try that, then see if it still leaks. Cracking a head is pretty hard to do on a relatively new/stock motor.

IMSROLL450R
05-18-2007, 08:17 AM
It hasnt ever overheated to my knowledge. I didnt know about sprayin that up in there i guess its possible that I have just got water and crap up in there and its running out with dirt and makes it appear somewhat like oil. I hope thats it because i seriously doubt its cracked a head.

ss440ex
05-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Is the spark plug loose???

IMSROLL450R
05-18-2007, 08:34 AM
I wondered that as well I will check it and see.

schulte_85
05-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Had my 04 leak there. My head was cracked also from the inside.

d3ktrix
05-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Is the spark plug loose???

I don't think a loose spark plug would leak oil would it? It screws directly into the combustion chamber, unless your rings are shot I wouldn't think any oil would leak out from it being loose.
Maybe gas though.

ss440ex
05-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Don`t know!
Did`nt see it!!!!
Or is it a accumilation dirt,oil,gas,water,dripping out,giving it a oily
look?

rustee
05-19-2007, 10:54 AM
IMSROLL450R

i wouldent worry about it too much unless you want to replace the head. mine has been doing that for a year now. it is prob not cracked what is hapening is the steel spark plug tube that is pressed in from the factory with a little sealer on it is actualy letting a little oil past the bore and tube and is comming into the spark plug hole from the bottem of the steel tube. you can not remove the tube to reseal it you must replace the head. or do what i did i got a strait 1/4 inch vacum barb from any parts store. spray the hole out good with some brake/carb kleen to degrease it and than put a little silicone sealer around the outside of the barb and push it into the wep hole. let the silicone set up a little than put a peice of vacum hose on and run it down to the bottom of the frame wire tie it so it is close to the motor and away from the exhuast. at least you wont see it running down the outside of the cyl anymore.

IMSROLL450R
05-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by rustee
IMSROLL450R

i wouldent worry about it too much unless you want to replace the head. mine has been doing that for a year now. it is prob not cracked what is hapening is the steel spark plug tube that is pressed in from the factory with a little sealer on it is actualy letting a little oil past the bore and tube and is comming into the spark plug hole from the bottem of the steel tube. you can not remove the tube to reseal it you must replace the head. or do what i did i got a strait 1/4 inch vacum barb from any parts store. spray the hole out good with some brake/carb kleen to degrease it and than put a little silicone sealer around the outside of the barb and push it into the wep hole. let the silicone set up a little than put a peice of vacum hose on and run it down to the bottom of the frame wire tie it so it is close to the motor and away from the exhuast. at least you wont see it running down the outside of the cyl anymore.

actually I dont think it was oil I think it was just water running out of the hole. Its not doing it anymore for now so I would say thats what it was. If it does it again I may try that its a good idea thanks man.