PDA

View Full Version : acetylene? Oxygen? BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One_Bad_400
05-17-2007, 08:23 PM
note to self... do not put pure acetylene and pure oxygen in a potato gun... it explodes faster then the potato can come out and it will blow up in yor face and slash your face open and put pvc shrapnal into your body!

JOEX
05-17-2007, 09:05 PM
:chinese:
http://www.darwinawards.com/

Alberta_Qaudin
05-17-2007, 09:11 PM
dont need the oxygen for that, acetylene is enough, all you have to do is put it under enough pressure and it will combust on its own oxygen just make it burn hotter and cleaner

One_Bad_400
05-17-2007, 09:11 PM
ha

SGA
05-17-2007, 09:56 PM
I agree! Never ever use oxygen and acetylene together as a propellant or for anything explosive. Its very dangerous and i'll leave it at that.

parkers30
05-18-2007, 08:46 AM
personally I would never do a combustion gun in PVC. We wrap our PVC compression guns in duct tap just for that reason.... you never know when something is going to happen to the gun.

NorCalRacer
05-18-2007, 09:01 AM
My college welding class took place in the high school facilities. One day I heard a boom, looked over and a guy was running the torch with 6 foot flames coming up behind him. It had a split regulator coming off the tanks, he didn't check them and the high schoolers had left one side unhooked and open:eek2: Oxygen and Acetylene make a good flame. I tapped him on the shoulder, while he got away from it I put it out with an extinguisher, only then did I realize that the whole room had evacuated and I was the last one in it. Good thing those tanks can't go under pressure, though I guess I was the only one who knew that besides the instructor:D

mitch91
05-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Pics......

03warriorrider
05-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
note to self... do not put pure acetylene and pure oxygen in a potato gun... it explodes faster then the potato can come out and it will blow up in yor face and slash your face open and put pvc shrapnal into your body!

yea found this out the hard way to. luckily only the cap on the back blew apart but it still almost blew off my buddies hand, had to go to the hospital for all the cuts

and also putting it in balloons can be a bad idea to. just a little static shock will blow it up

Hondaracing819
05-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Hairspray and a grill ignitor are all you need